24 coaches online • Server time: 01:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 11:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

@zakatan

Yeah, I understand that point-of-view.

It depends on your view I suppose. Players like the one above I think are so edge-case that they'd actually be cool. I wouldn't mind playing against one. It's not like he would actually live forever, just that he wouldn't get drafted. I think 7s a quite a fluffy-ish league. Players like that would live in the memory in a system that sees most of its best players taken away.

I do know what you mean abou the using Apo to cause injurues though. That's not cool, although it is something a despicable blood bowl coach might do if the scouts were sniffing around his star! It shouldn't come up too often really as it could only happen on MNG injuries. BH don't become SI and dead is dead. You could have one stat - being changed into another but this is no different from regular BB.

Saying that, I wouldn't be opposed to no Apo's in 7s at all.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyway, the rules that work are thar rules that are simple. And i belive 7s is going about one step too far.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

tbh i quite liked the idea of Apo's only being allowed to be used on KO's and BH's. Due to the nature of the league and low budgets etc. No little league team is going to be able to afford a real Apothecary.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 12:06
FUMBBL Staff

zakatan wrote:
Anyway, the rules that work are thar rules that are simple. And i belive 7s is going about one step too far.

Do you mean Rabe's new rules in general, or the ones suggested since? I like the new rosters etc (though I don't have experience with the old ones) and the changes seem positive. Any League with rules differences is inherently going to be a little more complicated than standard I suppose.

The idea behind suggesting 11 man rosters was to make things simpler than they currently are both for players and admins. All other suggestions are mainly fluffy but are at least things that would be easy to manage. I agree, I'm all in favour of simple rules and systems.
noobie2k7

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

if allowed 11 man teams i;d say allow 5 Positionals. 5 Positionals also makes more teams viable like undead/Khemri and would slightly lessen the dominance of Elves.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Drafting is a fun bit of this.
so,anyone with an MVP after a tournament means a draft. Nice Smile
Injured means no draft ever. Seems sensible, who wants a crocked player?
Injuries that aren't detrimental. Interesting dilemma. I like the idea of a +Stat over ruling the injuries = no draft rule. Seems fairly simple to administer.

I'd be really keen for 11 man rosters. It would allow each team to diversify a bit so you could have a couple of tacklers on the bench when playing orcs to be switched for other players when up against elves. I think, not only would it ease the burden on admin, it would allow for more tactical flexibility.
Also, casualties often make a big difference in proper BB so I suspect this will be even more accute in 7s. Having a 4 man bench may help reduce this impact keeping the game fun for both sides.

As an out of left field, open to abuse idea, maybe the draft could be done every 3 months with each coach going to the draft having an amount of gold they could ay to draft a player from another team (i.e. you pick who you are going to retire). The owning coach could outbid you to keep him.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Not responding to the further discussion right now (I probably will within a couple of days), I wanted to call attention to the BB7s Roster Page once more.

I have revised the formatting, the limit to four positionals can be spotted on every roster table now. Should make things more intuitive - I hope you like it.

More important: There are (and have been) a few changes I'm not so sure about yet. If a player has an additional limit in brackets, it means the number in brackets is allowed for testing/open play right now and in case the limit gets fixed on a lower level, teams will be considered grandfathered (they may use the additional players in open play only, but not replace them).

I'd be (especially) thankful to get reports on any of the following teams played with/against:

- Chaos with the minotaur
- Lizardmen with a 4th saurus
- Skaven with 3-4 gutter runners
- Slann with 3-4 catchers
- Slann with 3-4 blitzers
- Vampires with 4 vampires
- Woodelves with 3-4 catchers

I myself created a Slann team with four blitzers, a Lizarmen team with the fourth saurus and the chaos team with mino. I hope to play a game now and then in the evening (played for the first time in a while today and it was a lot of fun!).

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:

Oh, and I'd like to hear more on this, too. What do you mean, Zak?

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the new changes. Are they perfect? No. I think they do push 7's in a new direction, but as a whole I think they will help bring new & old coaches alike back to 7's. Can't wait till they all get properly integrated into [L]. Maybe we'll even get custom rosters soon & be able to make some race specific 7's rosters!

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 04:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
I have revised the formatting, the limit to four positionals can be spotted on every roster table now. Should make things more intuitive - I hope you like it.

Yeah, the new formatting is awesome. Nicely done.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have read through the proposals, and roster options, and i beleive it does nothing with the dominating races. All it does to turn the tables for the short term, but by the end of the day only the weak teams will suffer.

The gap between the Tier 1 teams and the Tier 3 teams (like Halfling, Ogre) is wider than ever. I remember setting the goals to close the gap. Is that goal fully abandoned?

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I never disagreed with the goal as being a nice one, but it hadn't been top priority either. I never expected halflings/ogres and probably a few more to be more than teams for those who just love them (or the challenge). It was not a high priority goal for, though I indeed voted for evening things out a bit at least between the more competitive races, if possible. However, the process did not go as I expected, neither did development of the league. I chose a new approach and I know I disappointed some of those who were involved and I may not have made the wisest decisions. We talked about that.

As stated earlier, I am fully aware that elves are most likely getting even stronger now. However, I like the expected dynamics and balance as far as I anticipate them. I see BB7s as a "playful" league with a lot of things to toy around with - and that's what the new roster variety allows. The high(er) luck level makes competitive play ever more a play of dice, so my main goal was never to make it a highly competitive league anyway (though competition and players who go for it definitely have their place and will be addressed by me soon).

The new rules and rosters deal with one major upset and that is early casualties deciding the game. They also deal with the MVP system, hopefully bringing Open Play back to live.

Long story short: bolstering the (by original design) weak(er) teams was a secondary objective that I probably did abandon in the process. Nevertheless I always aimed for the stunty races to be fun to play with (since I'd really like to see them continuing to hang around in BB7s in the future).
If you're referring to other teams besides the stunties as distinctly weaker, please be more specific!

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:

Injured players never get drafted. With this rule niggled and stat - players would never be drafted.

I dont like the fluff of this. Players with tons of skills and tons of injuries tend to be worn down pros rather amateurs. This mechanic contradicts the amateur fluff of bb7s.

All the mechanical issues are still there as problems. Like killer -1 movement cpombers will live (almost) forever.
SavageJ

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

Injured players never get drafted. With this rule niggled and stat - players would never be drafted.

All the mechanical issues are still there as problems. Like killer -1 movement cpombers will live (almost) forever.

If you consider an injured player worth keeping, why wouldn't the pro team draft that same player? I'm not in favor of the injury draft protection rule.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2012 - 17:35
FUMBBL Staff

I don't see how it contravenes the fluff. There are thousands of cases of potentially great players never quite making it into the big time due to early career injury, and of course just because an amateur team keeps a skilled injured player on the books doesn't mean a pro team would do the same. Amateur teams are just that, and you don't pass up skilled players due to injury, pro teams are more selective.

Now I'm not saying everyone should agree with it as a rule mechanically and how it would affect the game, but fluff wise I think it seems pretty solid.

On the living forever thing, they wouldn't live any longer than regular players. They're not immortal! Just don't get drafted. There's already talk of removing the draft completely from open play. Compared to that just not drafting the injuries seems quite tame.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
 Jump to: