38 coaches online • Server time: 11:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't really make sense that the diving catcher would get +1 from an adjacent square accurate pass as generally he wouldn't know that the ball is deliberately being passed away from him. Unless it is that he can predict the ball's path better than with some cackhanded throw.
uuni

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I reviewed the game.

Indeed it seems there should have been a 2+ catch attempt instead of 3+ as it was.

I presume the problem may lie in that the client takes passes to empty field to not be accurate.

DC + accurate to a non-player square should not cause +2 modifier, as the DC +1 modifier is triggered only when the pass was targeted to the DC player square. (p64: "The player may add 1 to any catch roll from an accurate pass targeted to his square.")
PainState

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
It seems to me neither the rule of the game or Galak's response as quoted is giving us a clear answer at all.

One thing we must all remember is this. FFB was written by Kalimar with imput from alot of coaches on FUMBBL. So what if "their" definition of a rule is diffrent from some other coach outside of FUMBBL who had nothing to do with the CRP conversion? Thus FFB rules are right and everyone else is wrong. We play by FFB rules.

Furthermore lets remember how this started...A coach lost a game because the die roll was a 2 instead of a 3+ and he is upset and wants a full blown inquiry because of poorly written section of the rule book about a skill almost no one takes or uses.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
It doesn't really make sense that the diving catcher would get +1 from an adjacent square accurate pass as generally he wouldn't know that the ball is deliberately being passed away from him. Unless it is that he can predict the ball's path better than with some cackhanded throw.

The thrower does the secret signal and makes cricket sounds to let him now.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Both of those points are poor, Painstate.

Why this came up is immaterial. We want it to be right. And the arbiter of what is right at this time is the group that wrote the rules (assuming the rule book doesn't make it clear); of which Galak is the one who answers questions most readily.

FUMBBL making it up as it goes along is a different argument, one that has more holes in it than a general Painstate Tactics thread. Wink

Edit:

A-ha, Garion below has cleared up my issue with all of this, having actually watched it. I found Matt's post a bit confusing, along with a confusingly worded rule, I'd lost the thread a bit...

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %14, %2013 - %21:%May; edited 2 times in total
Garion

I just watched the game and it should have been a 2+, I thought Matt had meant something slightly different. I thought he was arguing that the +1 for DC should count too which it rightly shouldn't.

I was always under the impression a pass like this was the same as a pass to the square the player was in, both accurate passes and thus gets the +1 that is in question.

But meh, the rule book is sooo badly written its pretty hard to tell what the intention of the designer was really, we have to go with what Galak says really. I think he is saying that the +1 for an accurate pass is added but not the DC.

Last edited by Garion on %b %14, %2013 - %21:%May; edited 1 time in total
uuni

It is a bug related to Diving Catch skill. File a report.

New bug findings are house ruled to be interpretations of the game, and that interpretation will change when Kalimar will fix the bug. As this has no potential for abuse, there is no need for administrative action in my eyes (I'm no admin though).

File a report, describe what happened. Please add that the log does not mention +1 from Accurate Pass as it probably should. It will be then dealt with in time in normal matter.

Nelphine had it right. This goes along Galak's pointers. There is no confusing wording in the latest rules regarding to this - one +1 modifier, not the other.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

matt, if you could update your original post with either my post, or something similar, just to make it clear that you are arguing for '+1 from accurate pass should have been applied, but +1 from DC should not have been applied (whereas the client did not apply either)' that would help newcomers to the thread.
huff

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann passing game just got a little better... And I had always thought DC added +1 to handoffs as well, I guess that not the case.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I was talking about the +1 modifier for the accurate pass to the diving catcher's adjacent square not applied to the catch roll.
Smile Anyway I submitted a FFC bug ticket to Kalimar.

@huff:No, Diving Catch bonus doesn't apply to hand offs.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
Please read this post written by Galak:
http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34991#p619487
I should have had the +1 modifier for the accurate pass, so the client is implementing wrongly the Diving Catch rule (and I should have won my match).

I hate it when websites won't let you view without logging in.

Right, so there's 2 arguments. One is that you should get a +1 from diving catch (which you don't, because it has to be targeted to your square). The other argument is that you're catching a ball as if it landed in your square. That means that you're catching an accurate pass, meaning you get the +1. That is confirmed by Galak in that TFF post.

Oops, missed page 2 before posting this.

I think Matt is on to something. I think Galak confirmed it, and a bunch of rules lawyers seem to agree. File a bug report with links to the argumentation, and let's get it fixed (go slann!).

If rules lawyers agree then it has to be wrong. QED
DaveH

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't get the +1 from DC because it wasn't aimed at your square

Your don't get the +1 from an accurate pass because you are not in the target square meaning the catch isn't taking place in the target square, meaning it's not an accurate pass

DC is for catching sloppy passes, not adding +1 to your passers range!

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

ermmm other people quoted the rulebook. you are just making up sth mate.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
ermmm other people quoted the rulebook. you are just making up sth mate.

lol
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

DaveH wrote:
You don't get the +1 from DC because it wasn't aimed at your square

Your don't get the +1 from an accurate pass because you are not in the target square meaning the catch isn't taking place in the target square, meaning it's not an accurate pass

DC is for catching sloppy passes, not adding +1 to your passers range!

Read this:
http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38227
 Jump to: