50 coaches online • Server time: 19:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2013 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

0-16 Halfling - 5 2 3 6 - 35k
Stunty, Dodge, Right Stuff - AM (GSP)

0-1 Head Carver - 5 2 3 6 - 60k
Dodge, Right Stuff - GAM (SP)

0-2 Carver - 5 2 3 6 - 70k
Dodge, Right Stuff, Chainsaw, Secret Weapon (7+) - GAM (SP)

0-2 Chaos Spawn - 5 5 2 8 - 140k
Always Hungry, Frenzy, Horns, Loner, Mighty Blow, Regeneration, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate, Wild Animal - SM (GAP)

-----------------------------------------------

STARTING ROSTER

2 spawn, 2 carvers, head carver, 8 halflings (for a squad of 13) and 4 rerolls is a nice round 1000

ADVANTAGES
M access, particularly for Str5 Tentacles on Spawn, which can wreck teams just by itself
No major downsides so fairly low chance of self destructing and losing the game for you.

DISADVANTAGES
Wild Animal and Loner on the Spawn
Secret Weapon on the Carvers, 58% chance to get sent off each time you field them.
Slow, move 5
Armor 6, 8 on Spawn. fairly low and you can lose bodies quickly, so a 14+ roster is very helpful

This is my attempt after a few games to make sense of this team, please add any corrections or additions if you have experience with them!

SKILLS
Chaos Halfling - standard stunty with mutation access.
Skills would be Block on doubles, Sidestep + Diving Tackle otherwise.
However, M access means a good case for Two Heads, makes them very mobile. Certainly take it on a carrier, unless you've got +agi
Also useful would be a guy with Disturbing Presence, 3 square range so you can lurk just behind a brawl ready to interfere with some passing or bombing or TTM
Maybe also Big Hand... Claw and tentacles I would leave to the Spawn.

Head Carver - G access, isn’t stunty
Could be built as a blitzer or a carrier, probably best as blitzer, take Block first either way then Tackle, Horns, Frenzy, Sidestep. A double for Mighty Blow rounds him out nicely.

Carver - chainsaw. G access. Isn’t stunty, has a chainsaw. (chainsaw)
They skill up only via MVP, and the more skills they have the more TV gets sent off so I think they’re probably best as rookies. Most skills aren’t much use for them, apart from Block to keep them alive, and Dirty Player stacks with chainsaw.

Chaos Spawn - a great piece, like a combination of minotaur and troll with M access.
Wade them in to contact with stunties, get Tentacles as soon as you can - str5 tents means str2 needs 9+ on 2D6 to get away (27.7% chance to escape)
After that, probably give one Claw to hit big guys
Other good skills, you really want doubles for Block / Tackle / Pro, but otherwise I’d get Guard, Break Tackle, Juggernaut, or Stand Firm.
I wouldn’t take Piling On because of Wild Animal and it detracts from Tentacles and Guard.
If it got to 3-4 skills without a double I’d consider replacing it, they skill up very fast and getting Block is so useful

WHO DOES WHAT
All 5 positionals on the team can be blitzers, and I think their roles shift around some as the team grows

Rookie team, the spawn blitz small guys to rack up quick easy SPP, and position to hopefully have someone to block next turn
The chainsaws hit big guys, the head carver scores in order to get him quickly to first skill

Once the spawn have tents, get them into position amongst small guys and then hopefully they’ll be able to block away happily, so you can use blitzes more for the chainsaws.
Once you have Claw on a spawn, you can use it to hit opposing big guys, blitz with the Head Carver and foul with the saws.

Build a regular fling as ball carrier after the head carver gets block and tackle, as he can now do more blitzing on small guys when the saws are out, and/or hang back to act as a defensive sweeper

Note, when blitzing with a chainsaw, the hit requires 1 square of moving, just like blitzing with a normal player.
Also you can't follow up or move a saw once its made the hit so blitzing with him in turn 1 is likely to leave him really exposed to retaliation

THROW TEAM MATE
I like the idea of throwing a chainsaw over a screen to chop someone without using your blitz move, but it’s very perilous and it may mean missing out on a spawn doing some bashing
Generally I think only in desperation; if you can’t reach a ball carrier otherwise, or need to attempt a one turn score

INDUCEMENTS
Bribe to keep the saws around, chef babes apoth mercs wizard etc.

Mincemeat is a real bargain, 80k multiblock stabber. Unlike blocking with a Loner which you'd normally do last because of the risk, stabbing is totally safe so you can do it at the start of your turn. he can only stab 1 target when blitzing though.

Good against teams with many high armor big guys is Logan, 130k str3 wild animal / claw / frenzy / dauntless

CHAINSAW
Without bribe, do you field both chainsaws at the start? or keep one in reserve for the second half?

Both at the start because:
-you could block/blitz with one, and foul with the other.
-they might not get sent off at all, (41% chance to avoid ban)
-early damage is more influential than late damage
-it slightly pressures opponent into trying to score fast, unless they’ve got more SW than you

Keep one in reserve because:
-you might mostly blitz with spawn or head carver instead
-if the opponent can score fast, you want to be sparing with them
-if your spawn don’t have claw, chainsaw is your best thing against big guys
-chainsaw foul is a good deterrent against opponent piling on, so the longer you’ve got a saw on the pitch the fewer PO you might suffer

APOTHECARY
You actually don't really want too many skills on halflings, they grow your TV quickly.. a fling with 2 skills isn't twice as useful as 2 rookie flings yet costs more.
The spawn have regen and apothecary access, unfortunately you need to decide to use the apothecary or not before you know if regen is going to kick in.
Also you really want a fling to get +agility to carry the ball, and the easiest way to get this is to recycle them quickly.
Therefore, unless you're struggling for cash, don't use apoth on a fling with normal skillups. A rookie fling is more worth saving, because he hasn't yet failed to roll a stat increase.
I would even let a rookie die if it was early in the game, save it for the positionals.

Last edited by Sp00keh on %b %12, %2014 - %13:%Feb; edited 10 times in total
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2013 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice post.

Re: ball carriers:
1. pray for +AG!
2. Any player that gets +MA, get them 2-heads, big hand, and then x-arms.

For second or third skills on regular linos, sprinkling in some Disturbing Presence can be very helpful.

Last edited by WhatBall on %b %07, %2013 - %19:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2013 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, always field both saws from the start. Your linos are so squishy, there's just too much chance of the saw kept in reserve coming on for one turn and immediately getting banned. I used to take Block on the saws, nowadays I much prefer DP. That ties in with how I've learned to use them. I used to like blitzing with them, but now, I'd say once your Head Carver has Blockle use them mainly for fouling, with the occasional block if they find themselves in contact with something.

I'd also say use the spawn for blitzing bigs, even as a rookie team. Horns gives you the ST advantage to get 2 dice over most, and means you only need one assist on the likes of Treemen or Fenbeasts. The saw then follows up to put the boot in.

I've never built a Head Carver as carrier, they're just too good as blitzers. With only 3 normals (Block, Tackle, Horns) they can take on any other team's linos, and many of their killers/carriers/other positionals. And they just get better after that, especially if you can get a double for MB. Yes, Spawn might seem better blitzers, but after they WA you into a few losses, the Head's reliability is nice to have.

For a carrier, 2 Heads, XArms, Big Hand, with Block on doubles is OK, but really, your best hope is wait for a +AG, and add Big Hand. Does the same job, but gets there quicker and has more room for extra skills/stats. Though it's rare for them to live much past 3 skills.

To be fair though, while I've played a lot of games with cflings, my record isn't great, so probably worth adding a pinch of salt to all that.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2013 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm looking at the question of what sequence to do blocks in, to avoid turnovers.
Mainly, is chainsaw safer than spawn?

Maths for the spawn, without block, against target with dodge:

1 dice block has 2 in 6 chance of fail, 3 in 6 of push, 1 in 6 of pow
2 dice block has 4 in 36 chance of fail, 21 in 36 of push, 11 in 36 of pow
3 dice block has 8 in 216 chance of fail, 117 in 216 of push, 91 in 216 of pow

with block:
1 dice block has 1 in 6 chance of fail, 3 in 6 of push, 2 in 6 of pow
2 dice block has 1 in 36 chance of fail, 15 in 36 of push, 20 in 36 of pow
3 dice block has 1 in 216 chance of fail, 63 in 216 of push, 152 in 216 of pow

In the below list, "spawn 1d w B vs no D" means chaos spawn (with block skill) takes a 1 dice block against target without dodge
this action has 22.22% chance of turnover, reduced to 13.43% if you use a team-re-roll

The list is sorted by chance to turnover, (without reroll) safest actions at the top.

Code:
                        fail    w TRR:
spawn 3d w B vs no D    0.52%   0.26%
spawn 3d w B vs D       0.60%   0.30%
fling 2d w B            2.8%    0.1%
spawn 2d w B vs no D    3.40%   1.75%
spawn 2d w B vs D       3.94%   2.04%
spawn 3d no B vs no D   4.66%   2.44%
spawn 3d no B vs D      5.71%   3.00%
fling 2d no B           11.1%   1.2%
spawn 2d no B vs no D   14.81%  8.44%
fling 1d w B            16.7%   2.8%
chainsaw                16.7%   2.8%
spawn 2d no B vs D      17.59%  10.13%
spawn 1d w B vs no D    22.22%  13.43%
spawn 1d w B vs D       25.00%  15.28%
fling 1d no B           33.3%   11.1%
spawn 1d no B vs no D   44.44%  31.48%
spawn 1d no B vs D      50%     36.11%

Same list, but re-sorted by second column which is chance to turnover including the team re-roll.
yes, including Loner and Frenzy. ignoring Wild Animal, as roaring doesn't directly cause turnovers.

Code:
                        fail   w TRR:
fling 2d w B            2.8%    0.1%
spawn 3d w B vs no D    0.52%   0.26%
spawn 3d w B vs D       0.60%   0.30%
fling 2d no B           11.1%   1.2%
spawn 2d w B vs no D    3.40%   1.75%
spawn 2d w B vs D       3.94%   2.04%
spawn 3d no B vs no D   4.66%   2.44%
fling 1d w B            16.7%   2.8%
chainsaw                16.7%   2.8%
spawn 3d no B vs D      5.71%   3.00%
spawn 2d no B vs no D   14.81%  8.44%
spawn 2d no B vs D      17.59%  10.13%
fling 1d no B           33.3%   11.1%
spawn 1d w B vs no D    22.22%  13.43%
spawn 1d w B vs D       25.00%  15.28%
spawn 1d no B vs no D   44.44%  31.48%
spawn 1d no B vs D      50%     36.11%

Noticable is that various spawn results drop a few places, because of Loner.
Also, when the target has dodge it makes it a bit riskier to frenzy, but generally it doesn't make much difference to the placing on this chart.

So safest sequence for blocking:
fling 2 dice with block
spawn 3 dice with block
fling 2 dice
spawn 2 dice with block
*spawn 3 dice, or chainsaw*
spawn 2 dice
fling 1 dice

Rules of thumb to learn from this:
-fling 2 dice is safer than spawn 3 dice
-chainsaw is slightly safer than spawn, unless spawn has block
-however, chainsaw is much more likely to use up a reroll than spawn 3dice

So interestingly the initial question doesn't really get resolved to a definite conclusion.
The saw is (slightly) better if you're happy to use a re-roll, spawn is much better if you're not.
Getting block on spawn would be really handy, so replace them if they get a few skills without a double.
 Jump to: