48 coaches online • Server time: 14:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Benkyo

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

First I should note that I've never really used fumbbl, as I'm leery of playing with strangers and I could never convince anyone I knew to sign up. So I don't really know the community here, I'm not entirely sure if the art I used was given to the community and I'm not even 100% sure it was ryanfitz that drew it.

All that said the art is awesome, huge thanks to whoever made it available (EDIT: Huge thanks to Knut_rockie! and ryanfitz!) and I hope you guys don't mind me using it for my own set in this way.

I gave up on the idea of collecting and painting 400 miniatures for a complete Blood Bowl set, and instead decided to make my own.

400 wooden cubes, 32 cork chair scratch protection discs, 1232 printed stickers, two rolls of felt, one white marker, some strips of clear plastic and lots of time = a full Blood Bowl set and two pitches. About $1000 cheaper than collecting the real thing from Japan?

12 team members from each team stacked in a wall. Actual numbers are 16-18 for each team and all the star players, but the wall was looking a bit unwieldy with 12...

This is how they look on the pitch. Note the stats written in erasable ink, the space for a player number, and the colour denominating the player position (red=blitzer, grey=lineman etc.). Pieces can easily be rotated to show moved, face down, stunned etc. The cork discs include 'rooted', 'bonehead' etc. markers that can be placed on top of the cubes.

I'm still thinking about how best to represent skills gained through SPP. Maybe a blank sticker on the side, maybe different colours of FIMO or blu-tack stuck to the cube..

Last edited by Benkyo on %b %19, %2013 - %12:%Sep; edited 3 times in total
Espionage

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You are Awesome. This is Awesome.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Love it. I might need to do something like this. After selling one of my Dwarf teams I realized I have over thousand dollars in teams sitting in my closet.
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Espionage wrote:
You are Awesome. This is Awesome.

+1

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Greawesome!! Now magnetize it! Very Happy

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Benkyo

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys!

Magnets... hmmm. They'd need a magnet core, but with attraction in 3 directions for upright, prone, and stunned. I don't think that's going to happen!

First playtest today, worked out well. Think I'm going to add a white/black cross to the underside of each cube to easily differentiate stunned players.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Tremendous work.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks really cool. I still enjoy painting minis though.

I'd have to try it to experience it. However, I think that if you're going to skip the miniature part altogether, I don't see enough added value to having 400 cubes over, say, 30 more generic markers, which indicate position (3xBig guy, 6xblitzer, 11x lineman, 4xcatcher, 5x special).

With skillups, stuff soon gets too complex to represent easily onto the mini anyway, and you'll still be looking at your sheet.

Having said all that, I do very much like the colorful feel of the whole thing. It looks like a kid's toy, in a good way.

(Why collect from Japan btw? GW is a UK company).

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The Pictures are drawn by knut_rockie and later colored by ryanfitz. Nice work sir and now get playing here Smile

You can see Knut_rockie's blog

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
CastleMan

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
The Pictures are drawn by knut_rockie and later colored by ryanfitz. Nice work sir and now get playing here Smile

You can see Knut_rockie's blog

Awesome art.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2013 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Genius
Im copying this.
Benkyo

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2013 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks all! Thanks for the info and correction, and most of all thanks to Knut_Rockie and ryanfitz!

@the_Sage: I collect *from* Japan because I live *in* Japan. Much harder, or at least much more expensive to get all kinds of boardgames and boardgame components here.

I see your point about skills and rosters, and I might rework the top stickers to just clearly distinguish team and position at some point in the future. For the time being though, at least 90% of my games will be one-off games with people who have never played the game before, so I think the MV, ST, AG and AV values will come in handy.

One reason for the 21 teams and currently 2 pitches is so that up to 20 people can theoretically play at once if I make enough pitches. There are usually over 30 people in our monthly boardgame meets, though I doubt I'll be able to persuade more than a few to play each month. I can also loan out teams to friends in Kyoto or Kobe since they can't make it to Osaka all that often, and it'd be nice if everyone in the league can play an equivalent number of games each month.

Also. 21 teams!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2013 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Some Yellow Submarine stores do second hand GW stuff, that works out.........a bit cheaper than retail.

Not sure you'd want to know this or not, but there is a similar product for sale (but not as good). I'm not going to advertise it here though, as they've well....not giving us the recognition or required .......respect here on FUMBBL.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2013 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Tease!

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2013 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like this idea. But, why only (only!) 21 teams? There is art available for all 24 teams. Have you skipped the 3 new CRP teams, or some other 3?