42 coaches online • Server time: 12:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
burgun824

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2014 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Apojar wrote:
Looking down the list of available Linemen, however, there's still the glaring name of Roberta Gronkowski that is sitting in the room awaiting a team. (S)he comes with Block, Guard, Tackle, all of which would be extremely beneficial to the youngster up on Lake Ontario. They choose, however, to go with the slightly younger Grimm. This is still a very useful player, but we at BSDN feel like the Buffalo front office may have missed out on this one by not drafting Gronkowski.

TONY GRUNGY: I like this pick Mel. It's true that Gronkowski comes with tackle, but Grimm is much closer to the third skill where he can take dodge. And dodge will inevitably keep this guard lineman alive much longer in that division than tackle. I give this pick an A. However, I give Buffalo a C for picking Truck in the first round. They must be crazy taking PO on a Wardancer. Who does that anyway?
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2014 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure that Gronkowski was in the "Lineman" category, which doesn't qualify him for a Pestigor...
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2014 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

She was indeed a linewoman.

Sad to see her not get drafted, but not everyone has useful linemen, though block/guard (even if you don't care about tackle) is generally a useful combo for most linemen who do not have S access.
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2014 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

She did get drafted... I took her. Apojar was saying she should have been a pest, but she can't be.
Apojar

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2014 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

FFS, I really need to get some sleep before I try these.
Sutherlands, you are absolutely correct. And, no matter how many times I went and looked at the possible positions BEFORE each new team's review, I would have sworn on my life that every time I looked at it, a Pestigor was also in the Linemen category....

I apologize. I'll see if I can work it into the show's fluff somehow... I do have a plan for one more thing, but we'll see.

Thank you guys for pointing that out.
Apojar

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2014 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

CHEFCTER: Folks, thank you for staying with us the whole evening. Welcome back to the final segment of Season 12's NBFL Draft Analysis and Review show, brought to you as always on the BSDN Network.

I'm Stabbem Chefcter, here alongside Kill Wiper Jr, doing what we love to do; dissecting draft picks for the NBFL.

WIPER JR: You know it, Stabby. We're at that point in the show where, though he may be last, he or she gets their own segment for review. It's time for the Season 12 "Mr Irrelevant" pick, and this season, it belongs to the Vampires in the NFC East.

46. NY GIANT LEECHES

Race: Vampire
Player Selected: Matt Spaeth (Mihn'eeSOH'tah)
Skills: Block, Side Step - 22 points
Position: Vampire
Grade: (Chefter) B (Wiper Jr.) A

CHEFCTER: Before we delve into this pick, let's review the draft choices of the Giant Leeches thus far:

EXPANSION: Anguan Gobldin (Block, +AG) Vampire
Pick 7: Peter Young (Block, Dodge, Sure Hands, +ST) Vampire
Pick 36: Jake Stoneburner (Dodge, Side Step, Diving Tackle) Vampire

CHEFCTER: 3 Vampires so far, so they draft.... another Vampire? I understand that the team is a Vampire team, but to draft all 4 Vampires seems to leave little room for creativity as the younger ones grow up.

WIPER JR: Stabby, you couldn't be more wrong on this one. It's a Vampire team for a REASON. The Vampires are responsible for every single action in their matches with two exceptions: Vampires don't Kick, and Vampires are not Dirty Players. Why would you not want to draft the most important position on your squad if someone suitable is available, Stabby?

CHEFCTER: Funny you mention those two skills, Kill. That's exactly where my line of reasoning was going to go. If you get right down to it, those two skills are important support skills that the Thralls need to have. It makes it easier to press the defense in the opponent's backfield when you can pin a ball with a great kick in the corner. Why not draft with your final pick a Thrall such as Stone Casey? It's only a 16 point investment, and he comes with both Kick and Dirty Player. It seems to make sense to me.

WIPER JR: Stabby, it doesn't. Being on the personnel end for a NBFL Super Bowl winner, it does NOT make personnel sense.

Vampires do everything on the pitch, that's correct. They're tremendous players, BUT.... they get hungry. On occasion, they have to stop and bite a Thrall. When it comes to Blood Lust on a good Vampire team, EVERYONE is bite-able. It doesn't matter what or how many skills you may have.

With that philosophy, why on Earth would you spend even 16 points on a player who could die to a friendly bite? If a good Thrall happens to develop over a long period of time, that's great. Happy for him, but he's STILL going to be bitten if he's in the wrong place at the right time...

CHEFCTER: Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree slightly on that pick, Kill, but that's what keeps us working well together. Two different, but possible viewpoints to discuss.

WIPER JR: You're thought process is correct, Stabby, but just not in this situation.

CHEFCTER: Gotcha. Well, we'd like to end our show with a few new items on our program. The first of which will be called "Wiper's Hypers". Kill, give us the 5 squads who really made out in this draft.

WIPER JR: Well, they're in no particular order, but I have to put the NY Giant Leeches as having one of the best drafts this season. Their coach selected Vampires that all have unique skills; a ball-handler, a ball-harasser, the potential do-it-all with extra agility, and a fledgling Side Stepper that still has a long career ahead of him. They did very well.

Next, I'd have to mention New Angryland. They had two players drop into their laps that they couldn't be happier to have. They fit right in to replace a decimated front line whom most consider to be the heart of their team.

Third, Carolina. Getting Rodgersss where they did, with his skill set, may have 23 other teams having to "Daaaaa-ble Check" their future draft strategy..

CHEFCTER: Way to sneak in a shameless plug for Snake Charm Insurance... the insurance you have to have when that wacky religion finally starts biting you... for realsies this time!

WIPER JR: The last two squads, I'm going with Cincinnati and Atlatl. There's something about the boys in Atlatl. They last long, they play with ferocity, and they just get bigger and meaner every year...

CHEFCTER: Folks, those were "Wiper's Hypers". Tune in each and every year, as Kill Wiper Jr offers the teams he feels like made out the best through the draft.

WIPER JR: What else you got for me, Stabby?

CHEFCTER: Well, folks, if you remember, we had asked on BSDN to send us in some questions for Kill Wiper to answer at our Gritter account, with a #KillSpillsIt, so we have a few fan questions for you. This one comes in from @DogoStyle69, Kill, what kind of chances to San Dogo's club have to get back to the playoffs in Season 12?

WIPER JR: I tell ya, they have an excellent chance. Their blitzer core is still in tact. They still have their All-NBFL Thrower in Ryan Leaf. They have an up and coming Catcher in Growlkowski. Their Linemen are fairly developed. They were there last season, and they're not going anywhere.

CHEFCTER: This one comes to us from @CDawgjetz11. Why all the Jetz hate?

WIPER JR: CDawg, I'll tell you why. They've changed General Managers. They've changed philosophies. Heck, for various reasons, they've changed personnel, be it injury, retirement, what have you. When you change the philosophy of a football team, it just doesn't click overnight. It takes time for the new identity to develop. It's not hate CDawg, but I don't see the Jetz being competitive THIS season. Heck, they can't even pick the right Gronski to draft. Not very hopeful for Season 12 for the Jetz...

CHEFCTER: This one from @LothernBabe_362426. What do the Bolts need to become competitive for the NFC South?

WIPER JR: I'll tell you what they need. They need another play-maker. They need somebody ELSE besides the current one-trick pony that Charleton Breeze is for this squad. Breeze is a fantastic player, but he simply can't do it by himself. Now, did they pick up enough in the draft to make it happen right away? Odds are, I'd have to say no, but they're going in the right direction. I don't know that the youth movement in Lothern Bay is enough to have them competing in Season 12, but look out everyone in Season 13.

CHEFCTER: Here's one from @DeadRedheadfan16. If you compare you draft grades from Seasons 10 and Seasons 12, you downgraded Flashington for drafting a Blitzer at 5, yet this season, they draft a Linewoman at 14, and you downgrade them because they draft a Blitzer? Logic, or just Redhead hatin'?

WIPER JR: There's logic to it, and I'll try to explain why. When Flashington drafted in Season 10, they just began the squad from the ground up. There was a player if I remember correctly still available that was a statmonger in LeShon Johnson from NLH. She featured Side Step, +AG, +MA, which is an extraordinary collection of stats for an Amazon team: really, for any team.

A Blitzer on an Amazon team is going to skill up to her 2nd skill somewhat quickly; much swifter than a Linewoman would. From a personnel standpoint, I'm looking at getting stats for my STARTING squad whenever I can. Kozlowski was an excellent pickup at the time. She didn't have any unique or hard-to-attain skills. She was still an excellent player, but was not the cream of the section, as Johnson was. She was to be the first Linewoman on the squad.

Now, fast forward to Season 12. The way that Flashington has developed over these past few seasons leaves a number trail that is difficult to ignore. Here's my examples:

Flashington's History:

# of Blitzers: 6
# of NBFL matches played (removing the snotling builders): 134
Total points scored by Blitzers in NBFL games: 198

Linewomen

# of Linewomen (again since beginning in Season 10): 22
# of NBFL matches played (again, removing snottys) : 304
Total of points scored by Linewomen in NBFL matches: 261

If you break down the way your team scores, your Blitzer core needs a bit under 2-1/2 times less the amount of games it takes to skill up to a considerable level than it does for your Linewomen to....

If you want impact NOW @DeadredheadFan16, draft a Blitzer. You get the most return for your investment as a Blitzer when you play for Flashington. How's that for numbers, Stabby?

CHEFCTER: I gotta say, I'm floored, Kill. I never even know you could add, let alone handle NBFL Sabremetrics...

WIPER JR: Like I've always said, I LOVE what I do here with the NBFL.

CHEFCTER: One more question on our way out Kill. Who's the Super Bowl matchup in Season 12?

WIPER JR: Tough one there, Stab. I honestly think we may see a repeat of Super Bowl X with Green Ball and Houston making it atop, with Houston getting it done this time.

CHEFCTER: Myself, I'm going to predict an Atlatl vs. New Angryland Super Bowl XII matchup... Well folks, that's it. You've made it all the way through our shenanigans. And you know, this is another first for us, in the fact that we've never had BSDN actually broadcast the ENTIRE draft review. They always seem to drop us somewhere around the Super Bowl Champs draft pick.

WIPER JR: Well, the fans are really climbing on board with the Review show now, Stab. We just might catch on in the hearts of NBFL fans all over!

CHEFCTER: I sure hope so, Kill. Ladies and gentlemen, for Kill Wiper Jr., I'm Stabbem Chefcter bidding you a good night from our BSDN studios. Thank you for watching, and we'll see ya next season!!!

*end broadcast*
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 06:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The new NBFL Draft is upon us, and here is…

Jackass Rampant's Season XIII NBFL Draft Preview

Overall
Every season the NBFL draft is a little different. This time it's one large-ish class and some remnants, rather than two classes. If I had to break down this draft in a single (compound) word, I'd call it topheavy. Jumpin' Jory Johnson would be a #1 overall pick in any draft ever held, and there are numerous freak athletes with polished playing skills to be had for the worst teams. But after the top 12-15, and again after top 20 or 25, the dropoff gets pretty steep. Some playoff teams will get their cogs or sweepers, but of all the various player types to be had, the only one with any real depth is the true passer category, many of whom are so good that they could depress one or two other positions and send a couple unlikely players to the playoff teams. However, lots of other playoff squads will have to settle, and the compensatory and expansion-squad picks at the end of the draft will be uninspiring. One saving grace is that there might not be many expansion teams this season, so the depth of the draft may not be sorely tested.
***** 3 players
**** 9 players
*** 15 players
** 20 players
* 11 players

Ballers
Star Power *****
Mid-Range ****
Depth **

Football Players (4)
***** Jumpin' Jory Johnson, Skilled/Blitzer, UCon. +ST, +AG, Block, Dodge, 69
****+ Jack "Walk On" Walker, Lineman, Fresno. +ST, +MA, Block, 31
**** Antonio Gates, Skilled, Kent. +ST, Nerves of Steel, 26
*** Bull Darkson, Lineman, Texas S&M. +AG, Dodge, Leap, 42
Every year there are some players who are just good at anything, and maybe a player or two who looks draftable but seems to fit multiple spots and is hard to pin down in function. This year, Johnson and Walker fall in the former category (Johnson will likely be a Thro-Ra for first-overall Indianecropolis), Gates and Darkson in the latter. Gates in particular seems intriguing for a .500 team to take a chance on, a great athlete with an off-kilter skill set. Darkson would make a good elf, and could fall into the teens or 20s.

Passers (6)
****+ Cucaracha Petterflet, Skilled, S.Florida. +AG, Accurate, Sure Hands, StrongArm, 54
****+ Hundley, Skilled, UCLA. +AG, +MA, Accurate, 45.
**** Michelle Dickinson, Skilled, Arizona. +AG, Accurate, Strong Arm, 41
**** Joshua Cribbs, Skilled, Kent. +AG, Accurate, Safe Throw, 39
**+ Sean Schroeder, Skilled, Hawaii. Accurate, Dodge, Strong Arm, 50
** Penny PastaMeatballs, Skilled, Washington. +MA, Block, Side Step, Strong Arm, 51
This is a deep signal-caller class, and good QBs can be had throughout the draft. Petterflet is a complete package, but Hundley, Dickinson and Cribbs are all better for a Sure Hands position. Schroeder will make a playoff team happy, and PastaMeatballs looks like a late flyer for a playoff or expansion team.

Carriers (4)
****+ Emmit Smith, Lineman/Strength, Florida. +AG, +MA, Block, Sure Hands, 74
**** Chase Garnham, Skilled/Blitzer/Strength, Vampirebilt. +AG, Block, Dodge, 34
** Lou Holts, Skilled, Kent. +MA, Block, Diving Catch, 37
* Ichibei Abukara, Lineman/Skilled, Nippon. Catch, Side Step, Sprint, 45
Carriers are always hit-and-miss, and this year's board is rather extreme in that regard, with two great players and two iffy ones. Smith is a top-5 pick for sure. Garnham won't last long on the board either. Holts is probably a low priority, but could easily be drafted by a playoff team (especially Green Ball, who can skip the Diving Catch). Abukara is harder to see but with 45 SPP somebody could take a shot.

Bashers
Star Power ***+
Mid-Range *****
Depth **

Hunters (5)
***** Alexander Teich, Blitzer, Navy. +ST, +MA, Mighty Blow, 37
**** Nelly KnockYurBlockOff, Blitzer, Washington. +AG, Mighty Blow, Tackle, 33
*** Evans, Blitzer, UCLA. +MA, Tackle, Mighty Blow, 40
*** Jack Mewhort, Blitzer/Strength, Ohio. Block, Mighty Blow, Tackle, 38.
*** Jevon Kearse, Strength, Florida. Block, Tackle, Mighty Blow, 38
*** Nori Shima, Blitzer/Strength, Nippon. Block, Break Tackle, Tackle, 32.
Hunters are always in demand, and this is a mediocre year. Teich can go at any time after #1, he's a superstar in the making. Nelly K is a good zip-in-zip-out hunter who could become a deadly POMB threat. Evans and Mewhort are both draftable at any point as elves, but could slide to playoff teams too in a draft this topheavy. Mewhort, Kearse, and Shima could also be part of a youth movement for a team with blockers, and given the lay of this season's draft could fall into the teens.

Hitters (5)
***+ Kendricks, Blitzer, UCLA. Mighty Blow, Guard, Tackle, 43
*** Trace Armstrong, Strength, Florida. Block, Mighty Blow, Piling On, 31
*** Franklin, Blitzer, UCLA. Mighty Blow, Guard, Tackle, 36
** Kevin Carter, Strength, Florida. Block, Grab, Mighty Blow, 34
* Sheila Shwim, Blitzer, Washington. Multiple Block, Mighty Blow, 23
Hitters are a high-value position in the NBFL draft, and this is a soft season for them (not as bad as Season XI, but still). Kendricks and Franklin are basic-track Blitzers that could give a boost to an expansion team or provide an elf or playoff team with a little oomph. Armstrong wants to be a Chaos Warrior. Carter is a late-round pick for an expansion team, or a comp pick for In-Sane Louie or New York. Get used to the name "Sheila Shwim" for she's doomed to haunt the draft board forever: really, there are only four hitters in this draft ... and one of them has Grab.

Big Guys (1)
* Toe Knee Duhn Gee, Big, Mihn'ee. Guard, Piling On, Multiple Block, 35
This is by far the weakest big guy class the NBFL has seen. Duhn Gee is a comp pick or late-rounder for an expansion team, at the very best. That's all.

Sweepers (13)
***** Gary "Pyro" Wilburn, Skilled/Blitzer, UCon. +ST, Block, Dodge, Tackle, 75
**** S. "Remy" Doege, Skilled, Texas Tech. +AG, Block, Side Step, Strip Ball, 56
***+ China Champion, Lineman, Wash. +AG, Wrestle, Tackle, 32
***+ Colt Nichter, Skilled/Blitzer/Strength, Vampirebilt. +MA, Block, Dodge, Tackle, 62
*** Evan "Bulldozer" Wieks, Lineman, Fresno. +MA, Wrestle, Tackle, 34
**+ Too Dark Jones, Blitzer, Texas S&M. Dodge, Side Step, Tackle, 42
** Jermail Porter, Lineman, Kent St. Wrestle, Tackle, Fend, 34
** Johnson, Lineman, UCLA. Block, Tackle, Dauntless, 32
** Ka'Deem Carey, Lineman, Arizona. Frenzy, Block, Tackle, 36
*+ DeniseDentalDame, Lineman, Washington. Wrestle, Tackle, 16
*+ I.H. "Colby" Whitlock, Lineman, Texas Tech. Block, Tackle, 23
*+ Brenston Bashner, Lineman, Clemson. Block, Tackle, 18
* Juan-Carlos "Goldeneye" Orlando, Blitzer/Skilled, Oregon St. Side Step, Fend, 26
Sweepers are easy to build and like to have stats, so the Sweeper class is always deep and the draft curve is always steep. Wilburn could go any time after Jumpin' Jory Johnson, and Champion, Nichter, and Wieks are all quite draftable. Somebody will take a chance on Jones as a S-access Blitzer; give him MB and Guard over one season, and he's a stud. The rest will be a go-to for playoff teams lacking in other options and for late picks for expansion teams.

Cogs
Star Power **
Mid-Range **+
Depth **

Guards (5)
*** Black Pete, Lineman, Texas S&M. Dodge, Guard, 30
*** Kawika Ornellas, Lineman, Hawaii. Dodge, Guard, 28
*** Rico Murray, Lineman, Kent St. Block, Guard, 25
**+ Darkball Johnson, Skilled, Texas S&M. Dodge, Guard, 16
**+ Leon "Ripout Ur" Hart, Lineman, Notre Dame. Block, Guard, 16
This is a thin Guard class, but the depth of athletes ahead of them could cause some of these players to fall to playoff teams; Hart or Johnson could slip beyond the 32nd pick, but this is not likely.

Blodgers (4)
*** Linus Delf, Lineman, Texas S&M. Wrestle, Dodge, Sidestep, 31
**+ Darkwood Dickson, Lineman, Texas S&M. Block, Dodge, 29
** Farmer Dan, Lineman, HSU. Block, Dodge, Fend, 37
** Nick Saban, Skilled, Kent. Block, Side Step, Fend, 36
Blodger-types tend to be low priority draft picks, and can be had by playoff teams. Linus Delf and Darkwood Dickson show some promise for an AG3 or AG4 squad. Saban would make a good Ghoul. Farmer Dan went undrafted last season but this pool is shallower so he will be a speedbump somewhere.

Cog Blitzers (3)
** Bob Cripple, Blitzer, Notre Dame. Dodge, Guard, 16
*+ Dakota Conwell, Blitzer, Arizona. Guard, Stand Firm, 26
*+ Samabann Fugo, Blitzer/Strength, Nippon. +AV, Block, 27
Cog Blitzers are not especially sexy players, and tend to fall far in the draft, as teams with ST-access Blitzers build them easily. Elf teams like them as later picks: Bob Cripple is as good as any of the Guards above for Dark or "Pro" Elves drafting late, but only if there are no Blitzer-type hitters or hunters. Fugo could be a Black Orc Blocker or an Ulfwere in a later round.

Boots (8)
*** Devante "Flying" Adams, Lineman, Fresno. +AG, Dirty Player, Wrestle, 33
**+ Taurean Ferguson, Lineman, Vampy. Guard, Kick, 16
** Rueben Robinson, Lineman, Oregon St. Block, Dirty Player, 25
** Stone Casey, Lineman, UCon. Dirty Player, Kick, 16
** L. "Ages" Waddle, Lineman, Texas Tech. Block, Kick, 23
*+ Josh Parrish, Lineman, Oregon St. Block, Kick, 19
*+ Jeff Bell, Lineman, BYU. Block, Dirty Player, 16
*+ Mar Simoneausson, Lineman, Kalmar St. Dirty Player, Tackle, 21

This is a reasonable Dirty Player class if you like Block, Tackle, or Kick. Adams is an excellent player and a good late-turn fouling option, one that could fall to a playoff team. But many coaches prefer not to draft Dirty Players, so they'll slide. This is a good-ish class for Kick, a remnant from the last two seasons' epic kicker bonanza, which seems to be over for now: get 'em while they're hot, or take an undrafted free agent kicker like everybody did before Season XI.* Ferguson needs a little luck, but could be a solid career cog. Waddle and Parrish are rugged, and Casey has a popular skillset.

* In Season XI, there were numerous promising kickers on the board, but no blitzers and not enough stats or Guards to make up for it. This led to a late run on Kick players, but the lesser lights of that class are on the board still.

Last edited by JackassRampant on May 25, 2014 - 00:23; edited 2 times in total
DrPoods

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice writeup mate.

Some interesting food for thought for various coaches.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Fine Fifteen Draft Picks, Season XIII

#1 Jumpin' Jory Johnson, Skilled/Blitzer, UCon. +ST, +AG, Block, Dodge, 69
#2 Gary "Pyro" Wilburn, Skilled/Blitzer, UCon. +ST, Block, Dodge, Tackle, 75.
#3 Alexander Teich, Blitzer, Navy. +ST, +MA, Mighty Blow, 37
#4 Jack "Walk On" Walker, Lineman, Fresno. +ST, +MA, Block, 31
#5 Emmit Smith, Lineman/Strength, Florida. +AG, +MA, Block, Sure Hands, 74
#6 Cucaracha Petterflet, Skilled, S.Florida. +AG, Accurate, Sure Hands, StrongArm, 54
#7 Nelly KnockYurBlockOff, Blitzer, Washington. +AG, Mighty Blow, Tackle, 33 #8 Hundley, Skilled, UCLA. +AG, +MA, Accurate, 45.
#9 Chase Garnham, Skilled/Blitzer/Strength, Vampirebilt. +AG, Block, Dodge, 34
#10 Michelle Dickinson, Skilled, Arizona. +AG, Accurate, Strong Arm, 41
#11 Joshua Cribbs, Skilled, Kent. +AG, Accurate, Safe Throw, 39
#12 Antonio Gates, Skilled, Kent. +ST, Nerves of Steel, 26
#13 China Champion, Lineman, Wash. +AG, Wrestle, Tackle, 32
#14 Colt Nichter, Skilled/Blitzer/Strength, Vampirebilt. +MA, Block, Dodge, Tackle, 62
#15 Evans, Blitzer, UCLA. +MA, Tackle, Mighty Blow, 40

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

**** Antonio Gates, Skilled, Kent. +ST, Nerves of Steel, 26

This is a player who is very difficult to draft I think. Only pro elves would really want him as a catcher. Some other AG4 team might be interested in him, but wow, NoS really kills a skill slot. Granted, only 5 from getting block/dodge, and while I do value +ST greatly...

NoS is just terrible unless you pair it with dump off.

Gack... simply cannot imagine NoS being remotely worth it on AG3, maybe a zon or human catcher.

So while I'm not disapointed with my drafting of Steve (+ST/Guard) as a bull centaur, the fact is that Guard is simply not a skill he really needed, not nearly as much as he needs block/break tackle/dodge (on doubles). Guard just slows down the ultimate growth of this player, much as NoS slows down the growth of Gates.

Oh, he should still probably be a top10 pick (I know you have him 12th) just for the +ST and only 5 from 3rd skill, but wasting an early skill slot on a mostly worthless skill is painful.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a thin class. Thin and topheavy. There are "intriguing" players with goofy skills to go with their stat buffs, and a few "safe" blitzers and cogs. But the only place you can't tell that this was a single-season draft is in the top 5, where the talent is undeniable. Beyond that, it gets shaky fast.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
It's a thin class. Thin and topheavy. There are "intriguing" players with goofy skills to go with their stat buffs, and a few "safe" blitzers and cogs. But the only place you can't tell that this was a single-season draft is in the top 5, where the talent is undeniable. Beyond that, it gets shaky fast.

*Gulp*

Important to get things right then for those needing instant help.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2014 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't be too worried. If you can't get Johnson, Wilburn or Walker (and the odds are good that you can't), you'll get your choice between a mobile Beastman ball-carrier and a good solid hitter Warrior. Then in the later rounds you can get a Tackle player and whatever is left over. Really it's the playoff teams and the 2nd/3rd round expansion team picks (and the compensatory picks) that get screwed: the teams drafting near the top will be fine.

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2014 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Season XIII Mock Draft

Part 1: Expansion Picks

Here's the board. Post your expansion mock below! Hurry, hurry, before the draft comes!

#1 New Tomb Jets (Khemri, DrPoods)
Eric Metcalf, Thro-Ra, Cleveland. +2AG, Block, MB (SH), 51 (84). Metcalf loses 33 SPP because Sure Hands is on the Thro-Ra's starting profile. That's okay, he's a Khemri player with AG4.

#2 Hearthstone Hexen (Dwarf, Pentalarc)
Trevor "Mutt-Mutt" Flyton, Runner, Cleveland. Juggernaut, Block, MB, PO, JU, 133. The other Runner can be a primary carrier, this guy's an extra blitzer. He could be a Blitzer or Slayer but would lose 83 SPP, not worth it.
Alternate: Steve Van Bashem, Slayer.

#3 Cleveland ??? (Dark Elf, BillBrasky)
D.C. "Alphabet Soup" Jefferson, Blitzer, Arizona. MB, PO, JU, 31. It's Brasky with Dark Elves!
Alternate: If Pentalarc doesn't pick Flyton (and he might not), Brasky will take the Best. Witch Elf. Ever.

#4 Cleveland
Steve Van Bashem, Blitzer, Seattle. Tackle, MB, Dodge, Guard, SF, 78.
This is the best Blitzer left to be had, and will give Cleveland a wicked one-two punch.
Alternate: Josie Skull, Blitzer.

#5 Hearthstone
Josie Skull, Slayer, Chicago. Tackle, MB, Guard, SF, 62.
There are some good linemen but none scream "Blocker" and a good second Runner can be had in the main draft. Skull is the best player available, and with Stand Firm and Tackle projects to be a Slayer rather than a Blitzer.
Alternate: D.C. "Alphabet Soup" Jefferson, Blitzer.

#6 New Tomb Jets
Michael Bargen, Tomb Guardian, Cleveland. Block, Guard, MB, BT.
This was the best Guardian available in either draft.

#7 Lothern Bay (High Elves, WingedHuman)
Webster Slaughter, Blitzer, Chicago. +MA, MB, Guard, (Skill), 52
or, if Slaughter gets a dumb skill,
Jamorris Slaughter, Blitzer, Chicago. MB, Guard, Tackle, 46

I'm predicting that Jeffro and RF will award one comp pick in the expansion draft and it will be to Lothern Bay. There's a massive dropoff after the top six picks, and one of the two Slaughter brothers is the best remaining player. RF has yet to assign a new skill to Webster Slaughter, who achieved Star status in the Drowns' last game.

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2014 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Is Hearthstone Houston?

Also weren't Flyton and Bargen already drafted? Just recycling them off of dropped teams?

I assume these guys are skipping the other AG players since they can take one of the many AG dudes in the main draft?
 Jump to: