51 coaches online • Server time: 11:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Forums aren't the place for skill choice threads, in my opinion.

Skill choice threads and general tactical questions are one of the most important aspects of the forum, and should be too. People want help, and for it to involve some discussion rather than merely reading a file.
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Skill choice threads and general tactical questions are one of the most important aspects of the forum, and should be too. People want help, and for it to involve some discussion rather than merely reading a file.

HM doesn't want threads that aren't interesting to him. It's really just that simple.

Most people probably don't care what's going on in the forums in the first place, the subset who do care are happier when there's just traffic, almost irrespective of the traffic (not counting spam bots and such).

For many sites active forums are a good thing, even if various subjects/questions reappear time and time again. I don't understand why anyone would want less forum traffic honestly, if some people are happy to dispense their advice 100s of times so be it. You have the choice to stop reading those threads you don't have any interest in.
CastleMan

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 04:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The skill choice forums are a big part of this sight and helped me out when I first stated her. I knew the game of BB and what skills did, but I like the idea of bouncing ideas off of other coaches and getting there opinions on players. I can never stop getting better at this game, and the several coaches on this site generally want to see people get better. When a new coach asks for help with skills, I am glad to see several of the veteran coaches offering up suggestions. I even chime in with my two cents, as much help as it might be.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

HM consistently has accused anyone who disagrees with him of being "a troll", and anyone who doesn't play the game as he does as being "outside the spirit of the game".

It's fine to believe you are right, it's fine to engage in intellectual argument, but there are words that describe believing that everyone has to believe as you do, and/or if they disagree they are to be systematically, publicly and personally attacked - and none of them are very flattering.

harvestmouse wrote:
Right......what you want, is to use roster management in ways that are way out side of the spirit of the game...

harvestmouse wrote:
The other thing I'm seeing, is abusing the spirit of the game... This then leads to those who cannot adapt quickly leaving the site, and those that can, also playing outside of the spirit...

The obvious problem is (in part, at least), that HM believes he is the arbiter of what the "spirit of the game" is and is not for everyone who plays.

Unfortunately for all, that's just absurd. It's personal for everyone, even despite any intent of the original authors.

For myself (and I would believe for the majority), the "spirit" is, loosely, two-fold - fun and competition; nothing more, nor less. It's when one person's idea of "fun" clashes with another's - like when one person enjoys building a highly skilled team and another enjoys clawpombing and fouling teams into retirement - that the vision of "the spirit of the game" seems to be in conflict. But it isn't the "spirit" that's the root of the issue - it's the fact that there is more than one type of person in the world.

And that's life on the internet. Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the spirit of the game was beer and pretzels.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Throwing echoes of my own words in my face?! Don't try to troll me, just accept that we don't agree. AND that you're wrong. Wink

pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

who, what? Fouly a troll!?

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
who, what? Fouly a troll!?

Slander! Shocked

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree that a team with JMs gives an advantage to the opponent. Yes, they have loner, but they make up for it by being fearless.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 06:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Slander! Shocked

Libel, actually. Wink

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Skill choice threads and general tactical questions HAVE BECOME THE most important aspects of the forum, and should be too. People want help, and for it to involve some discussion rather than merely reading a file.

I did a little creative editing of your post.

I did say it was my opinion, and generally I avoid them. I also gave my reasons on why I thought that, and as I stated it was an opinion, I think I'm entitled to it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with this thought.

Of course there is the odd interesting one, that probably has a place on the forums. However most, the help section covers the bases or even a little forum search from time to time? I do admit though they aren't the most search friendly forums you'll ever see. Failing all this, as it's a personal thing, I believe your blog is far better suited.

Also if there are interesting threads they tend to get buried and disappear from the 'Recent Forum Topics' under deluge of 'look at my superstar dark elf that rolled doubles!' or 'help my rookie chaos warrior rolled a 10'.

As for Smeat, most of what he said I'll answer with a 'Yeah, whatever.'

However the part about 'the spirit of the game', you've totally misunderstood.

What you are talking about is 'the spirit of playing the game'. What I am talking about is, the intention of the rule. In what spirit is the mechanic supposed to be used? What was the intention of the designer when he added the rule?

Abusing the spirit will most likely be destructive to the game and the experience.
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Then the answer is to increase the number of recent forum threads listed from 3 to 5 or 7 or...

Or...

Just click on the forum area you're interested in...
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm looking forward to the day when HM has something nice to say on here instead of instant rude/harsh comments.

OK I understand your first point. It was dealt with when you were an admin. And yes it does seem a bit off that it has been asked again , even though you answered the problem in the first place.

However. why all the negative posts ALL the time?
you rarely play a game here now, yet seem to answer on almost all forum posts!

So what if someone help with a skill choice.
So a 1900TV chaos team has a CW first skill as 5+5. Always nice to get opinions.
I think I have only asked twice in the years I have been here. Others though like the idea of other (Better?) coaches opinions.

All i'm saying is it would be better to see some nice comments from you. Even if it is just for new coaches who read these, Not to think this is a bad place to be.

And yes I know I sound harsh and proberbly sound like a prat. But this "irks" me

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

CastleMan wrote:
The skill choice forums are a big part of this sight and helped me out when I first stated her. I knew the game of BB and what skills did, but I like the idea of bouncing ideas off of other coaches and getting there opinions on players. I can never stop getting better at this game, and the several coaches on this site generally want to see people get better. When a new coach asks for help with skills, I am glad to see several of the veteran coaches offering up suggestions. I even chime in with my two cents, as much help as it might be.

Totally agree. The longer I've been playing the more I've come to appreciate the skill discussions in the forum, especially as the associated reasoning has become way better than it used to be, which is probably also related to the fact, that skill choices usually aren't as cookie-cutterish as under LRB 4.

The Help-section doesn't even remotely compete with the posts in most skill threads.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2014 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Stanley wrote:
OK I understand your first point. It was dealt with when you were an admin. And yes it does seem a bit off that it has been asked again , even though you answered the problem in the first place.
Not really.
1) Conditions have changed. People have come up with new uses for Journeymen, which is really the nature of the question (at least the admin part).

2) This question is two-part and the second is aimed at coaches, not admins.

3) HM's "answer" so many moons ago was more or less "ST…U" response, telling me that because I have site-rules questions I must be some kind of cheeser. Razz