62 coaches online • Server time: 22:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Like?
Yeah!
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Yeah, but... (specify)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
No, cuz... (specify)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Pie.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2014 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I know, I know, everyone makes Stunty roster concepts all the time. But what's missing in stunty (imo) is passing play. So here's my 2 cents:

Hobgnoblars

Fluff
Goblins and Gnoblars being the filthy little buggers they are, it's hardly surprising that they get up to the naughty sometimes. Female gnoblars don't voluntarily participate, and they rarely survive both such an encounter and the subsequent pregnancy. However, it is not uncommon for she-goblins to give birth to a 'hobgnoblar'. These halfbreeds come in various sizes, ranging from that of a full goblin, to small and spindly little gnoblars-sized runts. At any size or shape, the mixed genetics result in oddly bent legs. This lets them jump well, but these legs struggle a bit with the weight of the bigger variety. While these halfbreed mongrels are shunned by both true goblins and true gnoblars, they have formed a tight community of their own. Without the goblins' wealth to buy weapons or the service of (intact) ogres that the gnoblars have, hobgnoblar bloodbowl teams instead rely mostly on their own vigorous training in ball handling in order to compete, making use of their unique legs to jump up and snatch any flying balls from the air.

(Thanks to Crook666 for suggesting that I turn my passing crunch concept into a hobgnoblar fluff concept)

Positionals
hobgnoblars
These larger hobgnoblars lack the skill of their smaller kin. While their bent legs make them a bit slower than a full goblin, they are trained to jump and snatch balls from the air as needed.

throwers
These smaller hobgnoblars are the elite of the team. They are held in high regard by the others, and focus on handling the ball at all times.

freaks
While they are mostly genetically compatible, the merger of the two races occasionally produces an unexpected byproduct. These freakish creatures are smaller than most of their kin, with spindly limbs and an explosively ferocious temper that knows no bounds. While the little buggers usually refuse to jump at balls like the rest of the team, they'll gladly jump at the throat of their opponents.
(Thanks to Crook666 for suggesting the addition of a wardancer-like player)

catchers
Like the freaks, catchers are small and spindly, with elongated legs, but catchers mainly move forward, rather than up. They also lack the nasty temper of the freaks.

(mostly) 'armless maneater
A maneater ogre missing most of his arms should of course have no place on a bloodbowl team, but hobos can't be choosers. Although they are weaker and will never learn to block, the maneaters' experience in armless living, combined with rigorous training by the hobgnoblars can make the 'armless quite effective with their feet.

wooden leg, iron gut
Irongut ogres who have a leg eaten by a gorger are also no longer housed or fed by gnoblars. However, with some improvised prosthetics, the hobgnoblars patch up these big fellows well enough to stand in the way. While neither as quick nor as stable as they were with two legs, these toned-down giants still manage to stumble in the way, keeping their smaller teammates from the brunt of the harm.

Crunch
Roster
Hobgnoblars

| 0-16 | Hobgnoblars | 40k | 5 2 3 7 | Diving Catch, Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty | A (GSP)
| 0-2 | Throwers | 65k | 5 1 3 6 | Diving Catch, Dodge, Kick Off Return, Sure Hands | AP (GS)
| 0-2 | Freaks |80k | 6 1 3 7 | Dauntless, Dodge, Horns, Juggernaut, Leap, Very Long Legs | GA (SP)
| 0-2 | Catchers | 65k | 7 1 3 6 |Catch, Dodge, Dump-Off, Diving Catch, Stunty, Very Long Legs | A (GSP)
| 0-1 | (Mostly) 'armless maneater | 80k | 5 3 1 8 | Loner, Bone Head, No Hands, Kick, Throw Teammate | SP ()
| 0-2 | Wooden leg, iron gut | 90k | 3 4 1 9 | Loner, Bone Head, Thick Skull | S (GP)

Re-roll counter: 60k gold pieces each
Apothecary: Yes

Starplayers
Doom Diver Catapult, Mad Gark The Tamer, Nezogt the Mutated, Shadow, Wil-O The Wisp

Concept
style
This team was designed to play an elf-like balling game, because stunty has enough bash, bomb, weapon. The roster has no bash worth mentioning (also no bash/foul stars), but the potential excellent (by stunty standards) passing play, combined with the ability to develop a decent aggressive defense. The not-too-fragile linemen and the ironguts prevent the hobgnoblars from getting wiped off the pitch entirely, while the spammed diving catch makes their offense very flexible; every player is a potential receiver, rather like with elves. Combined with the potentially reliable TTM maneater, diving catch also makes picking up hail mary pass an interesting option. The combination of dump-off with AG3 and diving catch (which cancels out if 2 potential receivers have it) should make for a lot of passes, with the characteristic stunty chaos/unreliability.

balance
While I planned for the catchers to have AG4 (and no diving catch) at first, I felt this would make them too perfectly suited as ball retrievers, and make their dump-off too good. Instead I gave them very long legs so that they would still make for good (bomb) interceptors, and to make leap a decent skill choice for them as well (to get away from diving tacklers). While the team's hobgnob positionals come loaded with a lot of skills, using them all does mean using 6 ST1 players, and you still start without any block/wrestle/tackle/strip ball. It's not much of an out-of-the-box team, but I suspect it can be quite competitive when the freaks and throwers have a few skills under their belt, and of course with enough MVPs and doubles rolls the ironguts can still be shaped into acceptable bashers. Although the big guys are of the discount variety, the team as a whole isn't exactly cheap: when going full positional, they can get 14 players, 2 rerolls, and no apo, with 10k to spare.

overall
Strengths:
-Strong passing play
-Aggressive defense
-Great bomb resistance

Weaknesses:
-Low pitch presence/strength
-Mid-low resilience
-Very low hitting power

Last edited by the_Sage on Jan 08, 2014 - 16:12; edited 3 times in total
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think eshin are pretty good at the passing game tbh.

the roster looks okay though too soft imo, and I probably still wouldn't pass with them tbh I would just run the ball in with the ma7 guys.

My main problem with them though is they arent a real race from the bloodbowl WFB cannon.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I think eshin are pretty good at the passing game tbh.

Hmm, you're right. With 7 2 4 6 and no stunty, the assassin is a solid passer out of the box, although he lacks the P access for development.

Garion wrote:

the roster looks okay though too soft imo, and I probably still wouldn't pass with them tbh I would just run the ball in with the ma7 guys.

Soft was kind of the point, though I've found that playing proflings without a tree lets you do that quite well too. So, what would have to change, so that you WOULD pass with them? I personally thought mass diving catch would really help to encourage both accurate and hail mary passing.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2014 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

for me to consider passing an option I would need a 2+ pass and 2+ Catch every time with zero chance of interception and I would also need no fast players because they just making running a better option. Or alternately 2 fast catchers and then have everyone else incredibly slow so that you cannot keep up with the receivers and so caging/screening is not an option.

But really trying to make a passing team in Bloodbowl just isnt going to work sadly. Passing just isnt a reliable tactic, walking the ball in to the end zone in turn 8 is always the way to go no matter which team you play with once you reach a high enough level. Sad but true. Passing is at best a nice fall back to have when plan a doesnt work.