49 coaches online • Server time: 17:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrPoods

Post   Posted: May 27, 2014 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. Now, now... Don't be a bully.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2014 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Denver totally gave that away. I been there before. When you have a lead in the second half don't camp out, just score.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2014 - 16:56
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Im a bit Sad Marcus wasnt in that list. The guy really made things easy and while he might not have had the same numbers he pulled off the jaw-dropping plays!
licker

Post   Posted: May 27, 2014 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
Im a bit Sad Marcus wasnt in that list. The guy really made things easy and while he might not have had the same numbers he pulled off the jaw-dropping plays!

Yes, well, the list was heavily based on the raw statistics, but there was also an inherent bias towards teams which made the playoffs.

Which is to say the committee wasn't really interested in degree of difficulty as much as they were simply interested in results.

But now more coaches realize this, and if they pay attention to the semi-regular stat updates throughout the season they may choose to try and run some players for a bit more glory.

Depends on if you want to build your rookies or just let your stars see their names in lights all the time Wink
ex-convict

Post   Posted: May 27, 2014 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

NBFL Season 12 Playoff Preview

I really miss doing fluff pieces as much as I used to, but I always make the time to do a playoff preview. If you recall from last year, I managed to predict the entire NFC portion of the playoffs correctly...that is except for the Super Bowl. So I have yet to correctly pick a champion in my...well this may be my ninth or tenth attempt at it, but I'm getting closer to figuring out the random epic-ness that is the NBFL Playoffs. Let's get started.

NFC Playoffs

This is an awesome collection of teams, and the eventual conference champion will have earned their belt, in addition to some scars from the battles. While overall it is a finesse group with pro elves, slaan, skaven, amazons, vampires, and lizardmen, the records for these franchises speaks for itself: four of the teams have two losses or less on the year. With all of the teams capable of scoring, the key could be who plays the best defense.

NFC Wildcard

#3 Flashington Redheads vs #6 New York Giant Leeches

While everyone knew that New York finally had a good coach to lead the franchise, no one predicted that they'd be in the playoffs during their inaugural season. The nature of vampire teams leads to winning streaks (an obvious necessity in the playoffs) being very difficult to obtain, as the team is by definition inconsistent. However in fourteen games this year, only two teams managed to best them, though it will be interesting to see how these playoff-virgins do if things come down to overtime (they had five ties this year). Meanwhile the veteran Redheads finally get their own first playoff appearance, though their team has been through three campaigns now. Their general game plan: block the opponent into submission, since it's nearly impossible to trade blocks with their blodge-heavy team. Indeed, Flashington tied New York when they out-blocked them by a ridiculous 64 to 19 margin, and then lost to them when they only had a 40 to 29 edge. Ultimately the game will come down to how well New York's five vampires perform, as their nine supporting players have two combined skills.

Prediction: Flashington 2 : 1 New York

New York may have won the season series but Flashington has the better team, and should be able to wear the Leaches down during the contest. While the playoffs are about star players making big plays, a team with five vampires and seven unskilled thralls may burn through four rerolls like ryanfitz and jeffro go through beers.

#4 Green Ball Attackers vs #5 Carolina Black Panther Party

Two regular-season powerhouses meet in the playoffs, where only Green Ball has found success (such as their Super Bowl title in season 10). Both squads are banged up, with a combined five missing players, but Green Ball is missing their star after Charles Woodson was hurt in the season finale. Without him, Green Ball is down to two blitzers, some line-frogs, and inducements. Carolina brings two catchers, a thrower, and two good blitzers supported by unskilled linos. Neither team will have much of a bench, if any for Green Ball, so armor breaks will be critical.

Prediction: Green Ball 2 : 1 Carolina

I don't think the odds are in their favor at all, but for some reason I simply believe that the Attackers will find a way to win this game. Having inducements will certainly help (I'm guessing a wizard will show up), but never underestimate the Lambeau Leap!

NFC Divisional Round

#1 Seattle SewerHawks vs #4 Green Ball Attackers

Speaking of regular season powerhouses, Seattle managed to have the best record in the league this season with a 11-3-0 campaign. In many respects they resemble the San Antonio Spurs, for those of you who watch basketball, because on paper they look solid but on the court (or field in our case) they look amazing (which pains me to say as a Mavericks fan). They will be tested by the Attackers, who showed their resilience by gutting out a victory over Carolina despite missing their best player. But now Woodson is back to lead the offense, which should be a great battle between two of the league's best coaches.

Prediction: Seattle 2 : 1 Green Ball

Their record speaks for itself, though Woodson and company will nearly leap away with another underfrog victory.

#2 Atlatl 'n' Falchions vs #4 Flashington Redheads

Finally we introduce an 11-win ATL team that has been a playoff contender for as long as anyone can remember. They still have some of the longest-tenured players in the league (four with over 100 games played), though they have been unable to groom many new skill players recently. Still, this is a very, very dangerous team capable of both clearing the pitch and/or scoring three or more times. However their opponents from Flashington are more than happy to scrap it out on the line of scrimmage, and will present problems for the ATL with all of their blodge and/or guard. The lizards counter with four tackling saurri, and although they are down to only one dirty skink, it will not likely slow them from dropping a boot or five. It seems like a slug-fest, or better yet, a bar brawl is in order.

Prediction: Atlatl'n 1 : 2 Flashington (OT)

The Redheads will get some inducement help in this battle, and some babes would go a long way in this contest that practically begs for an overtime session. While the ATL has been good this year, this may be the game that their four accumulated -Av stats comes back to haunt them (in addition to the normally fragile skinks).

NFC Championship Game

#1 Seattle SewerHawks vs #4 Flashington Redheads

The undefeated SewerHawks host the team with the recently crowned MVP, namely J. Riggins. This is by no means a 'team vs one star' battle, but Riggins may be the weapon that finally brings down the undefeated.

Prediction: Seattle 1 : 2 Flashington

Indeed, Riggins will put the team on his back while they block (and pile-on) their way to a Super Bowl appearance. Seattle just doesn't have an answer for the 6/4/4/7 blodging tackler, not that anyone else in the league did this year.

AFC Playoffs

This is where I left off when I was working on the article, and of course someone (or someones) had to go and play a playoff game before I could complete it. Ah well.

The AFC is no longer as dominant as it has been, with their top two seeds having the same record (8-3-3) as the #3 seed in the NFC. Still, most of the teams have similar records which could lead to very close games and a few upsets. Whether I can predict them ahead of time remains to be seen.

AFC Wildcard

#3 Cincinatti Bludgeoners vs #6 Houston Texasaurus

Houston had been the lone power in the AFC South for the past few seasons but could never fulfill their dream of winning a championship (lost in Super Bowl X). They had a rough time this year and lost out on the division crown (more on that later), but put together a winning streak to end the season and claim the last playoff spot. Their opponent is the upstarts from Cincinatti, who won the AFC North in their inaugural season. Behind a solid front line and a deep bench for fouling, they were led on offense by Andy "The Bishop" Dalton. They don't have a lot of options behind him, however, so they need to keep him upright.

Prediction: Cincinatti 1 : 2 Houston

The momentum that Houston has built up will carry them at least one more week, despite having no bench and giving up a few inducements. They have a strength and speed advantage, and can't be easily marked by rotters thanks to several players having break tackle.

#4 New Angryland Bulltrots vs #5 Denver Mile Under Club

New Angryland won a very weak AFC East (historically one of the better divisions, but keep on eye on Miami for next year) thanks to their stat-increased bulls as they slowly built up their blocking corps. Meanwhile Denver had won three straight AFC West titles until this season, when they needed a win vs rival Oakland in the season finale to clinch a playoff spot (which they obviously got). I'd delve more into the matchup but they already played their game; I can't say for sure who I would have picked but I do know that in my past playoff previews I usually foresee undead losing to teams who can out-block them (as the zombies don't have block). Regardless, thanks for making my job easier I guess.

Result: Denver 1 : 2 New Angryland

*sigh* Why couldn't both teams lose?

AFC Divisional Round

#1 Hacksonville Quagmires vs #6 Houston Texasaurus

The aforementioned surprise winners of the AFC South, the rookie squad from Hacksonville, won the top seed in the AFC based off the strength of their big guys and a mix of supporting characters. While no one on their team sticks out like Riggins on the Redheads, it's a very solid team overall. They'll face a veteran Houston squad that may be running low on magic after clawing their way into the playoffs then gutting out a win vs a deep Cinci team.

Prediction: Hacksonville 1 : 2 Houston (OT)

Low but not empty, Houston's reserves of magic gets them through one more game. While solid, the Quagmires just don't match up well against the lizards, as they don't yet have a lot of claw and are missing both a mino and a +ST 'rauder for the contest.

#2 San Dogo Chompers vs #4 New Angryland Bulltrots

This is a matchup of AFC royalty, as both San Dogo and New Angryland have been playoff powers for years now, and any game between them is a treat (not just because its a good chance for them to kill each other off...but that's nice too). [This is where I left off after originally posting the article]. Both squads made an appearance in back-to-back Super Bowls (SD in VIII, NA in IX), though neither was able to walk away with the title. Still, you won't find two more consistent franchises in the AFC. The Chompers have a very versatile roster, able to throw deep (Ag4 thrower), hit hard (two POMB blitzers), and pull off a one-turn-score (SS catcher). This should go down as a classic.

Prediction: San Dogo 0 : 1 New Angryland

As much respect as I have for San Dogo, this really isn't a great matchup for them. They won't be getting any inducements, are down to one dirty player, and are missing a guard/fend/block/kick lino (the kick skill being arguably the most missed). And while the Chompers absolutely crushed the Bulltrots earlier this year, New Angryland more or less stopped trying in the second half, leading to two extra scores. Now they'll get their revenge and move one step closer to their ultimate goal.

AFC Championship Game

#4 New Angryland Bulltrots vs #6 Houston Texasaurus

Two of the bottom three seeds in the AFC will meet to decide the conference crown: the consistent Bulltrots and the surging Texasaurus. Both teams have weapons that match up well with the other (NA has some claw, MB, and/or PO on their blockers, Houston has four guard and/or BT players), and both teams have vulnerable supporting casts (skinks and hobs...enough said). Both teams had to play through two tough opponents to get here, and neither squad is likely to get through unscathed. However while Houston currently has 140k in reserves, New Angryland has a whopping 600k to reinforce the team with (fortunately for NA, eisen doesn't run the league anymore, because he would likely tax most of that then build a shrine to Ocho-stinko).

Prediction: New Angryland 2 : 1 Houston (OT)

While worn down from their month-long crusade, Houston will have enough fight left in them to make this a battle. They do have the tools to take down Steve 'Big John Rendersome' Grogan, and they may have arguably the best scorer in the league in Owen Daniels, but back-to-back-to-back games against Nurgle, Pact, and Chaos Dwarves will eventually catch up to them (not to mention they don't have a bench currently).

NBFL Super Bowl XII: Flashington Redheads vs New Angryland Bulltrots

The biggest game of the year features a franchise finally making their first playoff run and another looking to finally get the monkey off of their backs (Flashington and New Angryland, respectively). The third time was the charm for the Redheads, who now find themselves across from one of the rosters that they match up worst against (especially at this league's average TV). The game also features a titanic clash between J. Riggins and Steve 'Big John Rendersome' Grogan, two of the best players in the league. Now I shall get out my crystal ball and look into the future...

Opening Kickoff

Flashington wins the cointoss and elects to receive. Seeing as how they can't go around New Angryland (lots of tackle), they decide to go through them: a blocker is BH on the first turn and another is fouled to no effect. After getting the ball into Riggins' hands, they take their middle cage and make a push to the south, creating gaps in a normally stout CD-efence thanks to their three +ST players and four guard skills. Slowly but surely they move forward, as New Angryland is reluctant to commit their bulls in the scrum but are likewise unable to find an opening to exploit. With no real options, they are forced to play 'bend but don't break defense' while another blocker is KOed and a hob is killed. Once turn 5 begins, Flashington makes a cutback to the center after NA moved the remainder of the defense to the sideline to cut them off, and after a risky 4+ dodge with no RR, they get the block they need to block off any pursuit on the next turn. NA scrambles their forces for a late goal-line stand and is forced to bring the bulls into contact, putting them in front of the new Flash cage. After positioning a few assists, Riggins blitzes Tom F'n Bulldry and gives him a niggling injury, although the doctors are able to save him at the cost of -MA. Riggins breaks through with two flankers and sets up in scoring position at the two yard line, before scoring on turn 8. NA is unable to do much on the final turn before heading to the locker room.

Halftime score: Flashington 1 : 0 New Angryland

After being out-blocked 35:17 in the first half, losing three players while not breaking armor once, the Bulltrots take the field with one thing in mind: destroy.

On turn 1 they KO a LoS player and BH another on their blitz. On turn 2 they foul another player off the field, though the hob was thrown out. After slowly moving their offense north, they are able to KO one of the two PO amazon blitzers on turn 4. With dwindling numbers and a super bowl trophy within reach, the Redheads made their play to spring the ball free, only to roll double 2s on their key dodge. After surfing a player out of the way, 'Big John' moves out in front with a hob flanking him. Now out-of-position with only two turns left, Flashington dodges as many players away as possible, getting three in position to try and prevent any stalling move. But NA gets a great result on their blitz, niggling another redhead and marking the other two safeties, then strolling in for the score on turn 16. The clock doesn't move back on the kickoff and thus we're headed to overtime.

End of Regulation: Flashington 1 : 1 New Angryland

With a 10:8 player advantage, New Angryland loses the toss and has to play defense against a desperate team. Flashington knows that a sustained drive would be difficult, and thus sets up for a two-turn sideline cage. But their young thrower fumbles the ball near midfield, and with four of their players on the sidelines, there isn't much left protecting the ball. However NA's blocks only result in pushes, and while they are unable to steal the ball, they do mark it with two players. At this point two of the redhead players on the sidelines race back to the scrum in the middle, and a Riggins blitz takes out another CD blocker from the game. However the league MVP fails a GFI, presenting licker with the most difficult choice of his life: setup a gangfoul on his opponent's best player, where a successful armor break would highly guaranteed victory in three to four turns (you know, except for the part of blood bowl that we call 'randomness'), or go for broke now with a blitz and 4+ pickup. While every fiber of his being screamed at him to play it safe and take the nigh-guaranteed win in a few turns (not to mention foul, because licker likes to foul), he remembered a life-alerting experience he had:

Quote:
However, it wasn't dice that beat Denver, it was getting greedy and over thinking the quick score. Then it was dice after that though Very Happy

Just take the damn win, don't try to get cute. And while the 4+ pickup had to be rerolled (there has to be a moment where the crowd holds its collective breath, after all), they took the ball out of range of Flashington and walked into the endzone on the next turn.

Super Bowl XII Champion: New Angryland Bulltrots

This will be the third time that I have picked licker to win the title (once before in the season preview, and again in a playoff preview), so he needs to do me a favor and prove me right for once.

I hope that everyone enjoyed another one of my playoff previews, even though it wasn't published until after one of the games was played, and then it was 3/4 published yesterday (and then compared to a girl in high school giving you a handjob...only to leave before the job was finished because the bell rang). Best of luck to everyone in the playoffs that I predicted to win.

Also, robocoyote can take solace in the fact that he indirectly won a super bowl!

Don't drop the soap.

Last edited by ex-convict on %b %28, %2014 - %20:%May; edited 1 time in total
licker

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I can't say for sure who I would have picked but I do know that in my past playoff previews I usually foresee undead losing to teams who can out-block them

Blocks for Denver 67
Blocks for NA 39

Hey, I thought before the game I was going to outblock him too, but my hitters basically disappeared and neither of us could foul worth a damn even though I had the edge in DP too.

I'm not sure most of you realize this, but it's easy for teams with +ST players to outblock CD. Even with guard on the blockers the CD still have to throw out those hobbers and expensive bulls who they don't want sitting around taking extra hits. Which is just saying that CD are not dwarfs who can trot out 9+ guard easily.

Now, granted, I was picking me to advance too, before the game. But at half time I think my chances were probably on the order of 10%, and by turn 11 they were less than 1%.

However, it wasn't dice that beat Denver, it was getting greedy and over thinking the quick score. Then it was dice after that though Very Happy
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
However, it wasn't dice that beat Denver, it was getting greedy and over thinking the quick score.
This. That thrown rock in overtime didn't help either. But Denver was up 1-0 and had the ball in scoring range with five turns to go.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Lesson learned, I guess Wink
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice, well we know the one team that won't win th SB. New Angryland is out due to ex-con prediction
licker

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

ryanfitz wrote:
Nice, well we know the one team that won't win th SB. New Angryland is out due to ex-con prediction

Why does he hate NA so much?!?!?!?!?!?!

Very Happy
Lorebass

Post   Posted: May 28, 2014 - 21:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

C-Dorks! Run by a guy called "Licker"... ewww
ex-convict

Post   Posted: May 29, 2014 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

ryanfitz wrote:
Nice, well we know the one team that won't win th SB.

You mean Denver, right?

Don't drop the soap.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 29, 2014 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I could name twenty moreā€¦.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 06:16 Reply with quote Back to top

ex-convict wrote:
NFC Wildcard

#3 Flashington Redheads vs #6 New York Giant Leeches
Prediction: Flashington 2 : 1 New York

#4 Green Ball Attackers vs #5 Carolina Black Panther Party
Prediction: Green Ball 2 : 1 Carolina

AFC Wildcard

#3 Cincinatti Bludgeoners vs #6 Houston Texasaurus
Prediction: Cincinatti 1 : 2 Houston

3-for-3, with two scores called correctly! Good job, Ex!

Post   Posted: May 31, 2014 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's also honor the Dead Season XII MVP! J Riggins! Killed by the team with the 2 MVP runner ups. Very Happy
 Jump to: