70 coaches online • Server time: 23:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wolbum

Post 21 Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all

I had a fair bit of time so made a Star Player tier list. I love Star Players since I got back into BB after being on and off, I play with them often and I use them a fair bit here, back in BB1 and 2 when I did, tournaments and whenever I can on tabletop. Also never leave home without Ripper for tournaments with me gobbos. So here it is.

This is based off a mix of my own experience, what I read online, talking to people, tournaments, leagues, and what I've seen throughout my time playing BB.

Legends: Griff Oberwald, Eldril Sidewinder, Roxanna Darknail.

Super Stars: Kreek Rustgouger, Glart Smashrip, Skitter Stab Stab, Wilhelm Chaney, Lewdgrip Whiparm, Fungus the Loon, Karla von Kill, Ripper Bolgrot, Jordell Freshbreeze, Deeproot Strongbranch, Prince Moranion, Mighty Zug, Anqi Panqi

Star: Drull/Dribl, Hakflem Skuttlespike, Scylla, Hubris Rakarth, Withergrasp Doubledrool, Rumblebow Sheepskin, Kiroth Krakeneye, Elijah Doom, Ivan Deathshroud, Rotten Rick, Zolcath the Zoat, Madcap Miggz, Scrappa Sorehead, Grim Ironjaw, Ramtut III, Horkon Heartripper, Puggy, Grashnak Blackhoof, Dribblesnot, Lord Borak, G'raal, Mordrix Hex, Asperone Thorne, Bilerot Vomitflesh, Hthark, Frank N Stein, Bo Gallante, Maple Highgrove, Tolly, Shardhorn.

Veterans: Headsplitter, Varag, Morg, Swift Twins, Neddley Verruca, Skrull Halfheight, Rashnak, Count Luthor, Gobbler, Guffle Poxmaw, Gretchen, Throttlesnot

Rookies: Flint, Zharg, Bryce, Nobbla, Ugroth, Boomer, Max, Big Jobo, Cindy, Barrik, Helmut, Lotl Botl, Willow

------------

Legends: The Best of the Best. These Stars can pull plays rookies can only dream of to turn a match. Can carry a team and game by themselves. Highly popular in all settings, tournaments, leagues and matchmaking online.

Super Stars: Solid Stars. Only off by Legends marginally but still exceptional players. Very popular and great value for money to what they bring to their teams. Seen regularly in all settings, tournaments, leagues and matchmaking online.

Stars: Good but situational depending on the matchup and circumstances. Are either brought down based on cost or due to matchup dependendancy. Still good choices if in the right situation.

Veterans: Too situational for their cost. May either lack safety skills or severely hindered by their cost.

Rookies: Stars who tend to be secret weapons or fragile. Influence on the game is of two extremes: Major or null. Non secret weapon Stars here bring too little for their respective cost.

Discussion and feedback welcome!

There are a lot of good stars plopped in the "Star" category. That isn't to imply they're bad and in certain specific circumstances, they can be as good as if not better than Super Star. For example Grashnak Blackhoof and Lord Borak are phenomenal against high TV non claw bash teams. Though in Grash's case he is pretty decent against claw too.

Enjoy!
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah i would move grash and elijah doom higher personally, both are almost at auto-pick status for me. Gobbler is a bit underrated by you also.

I'd also have horkon much lower. Gretchen likewise is pretty much worthless to any team who could take her. She's a journeyman if the rest are rookie-legend.

Big Jobo in with SWs is also something i disagree with - he's pretty great value if a bit slow.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally love Grash as well and if I was super subjective to my own experience, there would be a fair few swaps. In that case, Grash would be up there with Legend and so would Ripper Razz. But I was also thinking a mix of overall matchups, situations and also what many other coaches think. For example, Grash is phenomenal...if used right. But a lot of people are subject to send him into scrums like a roadblock big guy and with frenzy that can be tough. Also against Lizards or other Str4 heavy teams, he can be frenzy trapped without care. But what brings him up is, he is one of the few stars really good vs elves.His expense though brings him back to Star, again IMO.

Gobbler I legit have no clue about and no matter how much I read, I just don't see much of a practical element to him besides confusion fu. I will agree that Elijah too seems very good but I, again lack the experience with but being in the "Star" category, he is still a very solid pick in the right matchup.

Big Jobo I felt was much lower than the likes of Puggy, Deeproot, Karla and the rest, mainly due to his poor speed and his main role to be a fouler. I can make adjustments however the more feedback I get.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaws are incredibly useful against blodgers when you have no tackle. They're also cheap. I'm specifically thinking of matches where you have 600k+ inducements because you're a very new team against a well developed elf team.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Jobo is an st3, wrackle, sf fling with av8. His main role is not fouling at all.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
Chainsaws are incredibly useful against blodgers when you have no tackle. They're also cheap. I'm specifically thinking of matches where you have 600k+ inducements because you're a very new team against a well developed elf team.

No doubt about that but chainsaw stars are not very consistent. Their impact can be extreme, especially when their dice are going hot, they can straight up win a game but that is few and far between. I put them bottom tier though due to their very low level of consistency.

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Jobo is an st3, wrackle, sf fling with av8. His main role is not fouling at all.

I guessed because he has Ag2 and no dodge, that he wouldn't have much else going for him sans his dirty player. He is also mad slow. But I can see how wrackle, Str3 and Av8 would make him, kind of a decent blitzer? That said with with Deeproot, Karla, Puggy and Rumblebow, how does he compare to the other halfling stars?
JackH

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2020 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Bo Gallant is awesome on Bret teams. Will see him in a lot of their rosters at tournaments.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Wolbum wrote:
I personally love Grash as well and if I was super subjective to my own experience, there would be a fair few swaps. In that case, Grash would be up there with Legend and so would Ripper Razz.

And why shouldn't Ripper be there? He is a legend among goblins. And rightfully!

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
Wolbum wrote:
I personally love Grash as well and if I was super subjective to my own experience, there would be a fair few swaps. In that case, Grash would be up there with Legend and so would Ripper Razz.

And why shouldn't Ripper be there? He is a legend among goblins. And rightfully!

I don't disagree at all! Ripper wins games (I am counting draws here too for gobbos) in a different way to Griff and Roxy and I could just go on about him. But that is my subjective view, sadly I don't have stats to see if there is an increase in win % with gob teams with him vs without. That and I felt putting him in legend would have shown my bias.

But the three legends I listed off, certainly Griff Oberwald and Roxy, have teams built around them and Griff especially can pull off individual plays by himself which can make elf BS look pretty tame. Roxanna too with her Ag5 and leap shenanigans.

Ripper is like a huge booster to the Goblin team. No major individual plays but he helps them massively by adding huge extra presence and support like better TTM and a reliable roadblock. Where the Legends are a bit like gloryhogs. They help the team but they do all the work themselves generally or steal all the limelight. Like Griff, again, sack the carrier, grabs the ball, does two dodges and 3 GFI and score.

Eldril is legend not because of his plays but because he adds something normally unavailable, hypnotic gaze. Also he is a god-like catcher at a decent price.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

But a S6 Troll is usually also unavailable Wink
and changes how a team can approach the game
But great list and I am sure to have less starplayer experience than you(*). If you'd add more information to the list it might become even a good resource.

(* IMO you could put the "starplayer" Bribe on Star Player Rating One.)

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Again I agree! A lot of people put together the cost of the Star Players using normal positionals but for the Big Guys, it's much harder to cost removing the negative traits. Plus the value of having an "instant" +1 Str positional as you only get +1 str 1/36 times.

Would be tough to add any more information on the list, it's a fairly restrictive resource with the tier list function. Unless I added additional information to the side slots but not sure how much I could.

How do you mean "starplayer" bribe?
mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Top Tier: Bribed Ref Image

Last edited by mekutata on Mar 02, 2020 - 09:17; edited 1 time in total
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 06:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd put Wilhelm in legends, and Ramtut is super star.

Roxana, I've never seen anybody take. Surprised she's that high up.

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Wolbum wrote:

No doubt about that but chainsaw stars are not very consistent. Their impact can be extreme, especially when their dice are going hot, they can straight up win a game but that is few and far between. I put them bottom tier though due to their very low level of consistency.

In this case I wouldn't put Fungus that high, either. And definitely not on par with Ripper. He is a bit more reliable with his blocks (96% with no RR, in contrast to Nobbla who succeeds on 83%), but if he fails, he is out of the game.
And Nobbla can be used as a cheap blodge ball carrier, witch can be useful against undeveloped teams with no tackle.
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2020 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't see Rumblelow, greatest Halfling Star Player ever, there. Or my eyes are getting bad