30 coaches online • Server time: 03:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
drunkagent

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just wondering when we will have non team progression Majors. I have been playing in the NAF/FUMBBL tourney and have enjoyed it. I believe it would be great if two of the five ranked majors moved to this format (not swiss just no team progression). That is a knockout non progression tourney with teams made for that tourney only as was done in current NAF/FUMBBL tourney.

This is nearer to a true skill environment and would in my humble opinion add to the Majors appeal. It would also eliminate the need to build a team for every Major something that is the bane of my life.

If this has been covered in full somewhere else please would a kind admin delete or move this as appropriate. I did look for it but could not find anything similar.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see why we would need to when we would have NAF tournaments and other [L]eague events.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like it only if we could "freeze" teams for the tournament, but I don't see it happening.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the fact that in non progression tourneys team destruction will not mean they are out and one major a year without endless clawpomb dominating has to be a good thing to. This coupled with the fact that every player on fumbbl would be good to go without any warm up games makes this format attractive. League and NAF tourneys are fun but for me and many others fumbbls best is the majors so why limit this format to league and NAF?
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

drunkagent wrote:
I like the fact that in non progression tourneys team destruction will not mean they are out and one major a year without endless clawpomb dominating has to be a good thing to. This coupled with the fact that every player on fumbbl would be good to go without any warm up games makes this format attractive. League and NAF tourneys are fun but for me and many others fumbbls best is the majors so why limit this format to league and NAF?

If you cannot use a team that you have already built and cannot build the team afterwards then I don't see the point in running the tournament in R or B.

If you are talking about just freezing existing teams then you would still have nasty CPOMBers but even more pimped up, unstoppable elves.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also like to see some non progression tournaments here, and I think there *is* an advantage to running them aside from the NAF: We could allow apes! We could also change up the skill set a bit and tweak the format to make it interesting for more races to play. I knew going in that woodies and UD were the way to go, but it is a bit silly how good they are in this format. Let's change it up run an interesting non progression tournament with some tweaks to balance it out and get a variety of races (who actually stand a chance) in there!

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
I would also like to see some non progression tournaments here, and I think there *is* an advantage to running them aside from the NAF: We could allow apes! We could also change up the skill set a bit and tweak the format to make it interesting for more races to play. I knew going in that woodies and UD were the way to go, but it is a bit silly how good they are in this format. Let's change it up run an interesting non progression tournament with some tweaks to balance it out and get a variety of races (who actually stand a chance) in there!

TV1200 + 10 skills?

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

TV1200 + 10 skills?

I think any format that wants to improve race diversity with a minimum of broken teams needs to be a tiered system with some benefits for the weaker rosters. I'm not saying it's trivial to come up with such a system, but I think we could give it a pretty good go. 1200 TV would be one interesting option, or 1100 but with some progressive options for weaker teams.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

For the current NAF tournament you made a non-progression team initially which hugely differs from the policy of the competitive (progressive) divisions.

A non-progression L major also does not make sense since that area is hopefully taken by NAF tournaments. I completely agree with koadah's first post.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:

A non-progression L major also does not make sense since that area is hopefully taken by NAF tournaments.

... unless you want to try out Apes in them, since an NAF event won't have them. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

All Majors open to R and B teams 2015!
League is fine for NAF events, which if they are big enough would be comparable to majors anyway.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Would [F]action be viable again in a non-progression format?

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Would [F]action be viable again in a non-progression format?

You could do something pretty similar in league.

Old style Faction may still not work as:
a) we have fewer coaches than the old days
b) competitive coaches will still try to manipulate the system and screw it up.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 20:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
koadah wrote:

TV1200 + 10 skills?

I think any format that wants to improve race diversity with a minimum of broken teams needs to be a tiered system with some benefits for the weaker rosters. I'm not saying it's trivial to come up with such a system, but I think we could give it a pretty good go. 1200 TV would be one interesting option, or 1100 but with some progressive options for weaker teams.

Are we talking about wanting new tournaments? Or changing the stuff we already have?

If the latter I am against it indefinetly as well... "Oh no, your super picked elf team will have to face the odd clawpomb rank team! They will die!" If someone is picking hard in regular matches why should we give them the bonus of not having to risk those crazy teams in a Major? IMO a little bit of pruning is good for some coaches.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
happygrue wrote:
koadah wrote:

TV1200 + 10 skills?

Are we talking about wanting new tournaments? Or changing the stuff we already have?

If the latter I am against it indefinetly as well... "Oh no, your super picked elf team will have to face the odd clawpomb rank team! They will die!" If someone is picking hard in regular matches why should we give them the bonus of not having to risk those crazy teams in a Major? IMO a little bit of pruning is good for some coaches.

This Fumbbl. We're talking about multiple different things. Mr. Green

Jump to: