49 coaches online • Server time: 10:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Who is 2014 FUMBBLer of the year?
Happygrue
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Sonrises
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Rabe
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
The_Great_Gobbo
20%
 20%  [ 25 ]
PainState
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Jokaero
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Garion
28%
 28%  [ 35 ]
Harvestmouse
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Koadah
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Pizzamogul
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cowhead
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
BillBrasky
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Tomay
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
xnoelx
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 125

Smeat

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So many tough choices, so many who deserve recognition for contributions of one sort or another.

I'll nominate the Simyins development/launch team (as I understand them to be)...

o WhatBall
    o SunDevil
    o Majyk
    o Knut_Rockie
    o Cowhead
    o (& anyone else I'm unaware of)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
fidius

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion's (and others') tireless dedication to the site is worthy of recognition, definitely. But for me the other key to the longevity and success of the site is maintaining a fun culture. The people who have contributed most to culture this year imo are xnoelx (for his forums work and general all-round kindness) and happygrue (ARR). Honourable mentions to Rabe (Borg meta group and dedication to his wacky teams), PainState (FCXIII), and keggiemckill (awesome approach to the game, great blogs, and prolific Vogon raps).
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe, Painstate and The_Great_Gobbo for tireless good spirited fluff and for taking something from the game other than pure desire to win at all costs. Koadah for 145 and all the other great things he's involved with that give newcomers a gentler introduction to Fumbbl. xnoelx is one of the few people who seems to always offer advice and help without slipping into the "mock the newbie" mentality so common on the internet. Oh and cowhead, who as well as doing a lot for the site is always a pleasure to talk to and play against.

I'm assuming this is just the nomination stage, so will withold a vote until a list appears Very Happy

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'll second Tomay. There are a few SWLers who keep going through rain and shine. I'm not sure if whatball is classed as staff or not...Balle2k did some great icon work, comes up with new ideas and plays box how we'd like it to be.

However, even though the great gobbo is fun. Garion wins this award hands down surely.

* Invested his own cash.
* Invented secret league for which custom rosters are now looking like reality.
* Is always a positive influence on the forums and is never terse.
* Is a major part of the test team, meaning the game you are playing now has a lot to do with him.
* Plays the game how it should be.
* Has pretty much singlehandedly taken on the new pitch task, and done a shockingly amazing job.
* Adds fluff and themes to his teams.

I respect all the nominations, and commend what they have done. Sonrises, Koadah, Cowhead, the Gobbo. However for me, Garion's miles ahead of anyone else.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll second Garion again. As the person who cleaned up the bugs section for Kalimar for the latest release, I can tell you Garion did most of the heavy lifting for actual testing and re-testing bugs. That is on top of everything else, including a lot of tireless behind the scenes work, some of which I was privy to.

I think there are some great other nominations that have really made the community fun, but Garion's work this past year took us all another step further. In my mind, there is no one else close.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion is my pick for all of the reasons already stated.

But mainly because he allowed me to feed my addiction of Icon making with the Secret League.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Bugger the rules. I nominate Kalimar.

Oscar Wilde
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Im going to nominate gjopie for all his great work on OWCC

And I'll second BillBrasky.

There should be limit on how many people a single fumbbler can nominate/second. Somne of those lists are ... extensive.

Last edited by uzkulak on %b %10, %2014 - %22:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
happygrue

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
I'll second Garion again. As the person who cleaned up the bugs section for Kalimar for the latest release, I can tell you Garion did most of the heavy lifting for actual testing and re-testing bugs. That is on top of everything else, including a lot of tireless behind the scenes work, some of which I was privy to.

I think there are some great other nominations that have really made the community fun, but Garion's work this past year took us all another step further. In my mind, there is no one else close.

Yep, I agree with this. Those of us on the testing team (and WhatBall does and did a lot of work too!) were put to shame as Garion did as much as the rest of us put together I'd wager. That and his master chefs, secret league, answering questions on the forum and such make him the FotY IMO.

Lots of great runners up already mentioned here, but I'd like to give an extra nod to koadah because he has his fingers in many pies. In addition to those already mentioned he did the backend of ARR too, as well as all the black box stats that help to shape and give HLP and ARR their purposes. And in addition to 145 he does the OLC and testing client options via that... I bet I've forgotten something because the list goes on.

Finally, I think the winner should give an "acceptance blog", so maybe we should all change our votes to The Great Gobbo because his would be most interesting to read. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Garion 1 and Koadah 2.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for in order...

Sonrises
Jokaero
Happygure
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be multiple categories.

An awards ceremony should last at least three hours.

Of course Christer & Kalimar get special awards.

The_Great_Gobbo has to get one Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I nominate Kryten for the "Best Supporting Kryten" award. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
koadah wrote:

I nominate Kryten for the "Best Supporting Kryten" award. Wink

Deffo lifetime achievement award. Fantastic coach and so level headed, hopefully he'll go on for a long long time.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea, but only problem would be choosing 1. People do lots of great stuff. But on the other hand (just for debate purposes) often people only see their corner of it (e.g. their particular league). Should all be very positive though!

Jump to: