80 coaches online • Server time: 22:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Who is 2014 FUMBBLer of the year?
Happygrue
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Sonrises
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Rabe
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
The_Great_Gobbo
20%
 20%  [ 25 ]
PainState
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Jokaero
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Garion
28%
 28%  [ 35 ]
Harvestmouse
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Koadah
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Pizzamogul
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cowhead
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
BillBrasky
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Tomay
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
xnoelx
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 125

JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be a Buffest Rowdiest Mans of the year award.
Lifetime achievement goes to StudmanDudebro Smile

Last edited by JimmyFantastic on %b %12, %2014 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

See, I thought the same, but it seems more likely that a monthly award would be repeated than a yearly one. And I also thought that having a variety of awards available would encourage some coaches to make greater efforts in just as wide a variety of ways. Which, as you say, is definitely a good thing.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I want to diminish his accomplishments in any way, I'm sure he's great but.. who in the world is Tomay and why is he on the list?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay does a lot of the work for SWL. He's been a concrete support for SWL for a long time. It's easy to get fed up with doing the same chores season in, season out. However Tomay has stayed positive and enthusiastic for a long time. Also again, if you had read every page, you would know this. Still.........not quite up to Dominik's standards.

RE xnoelx, we're not connecting here. If you had a yearly award for each category. e.g. League comish, most fun coach. Most likely that's going to be the same coach each year. I mean League Comish, what year hasn't Koadah won that?

However if you have a monthly award, and the same coach cannot win it twice in the same year. You'll have the most deserving coaches winning, from all aspects.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, maybe. I mean, The_Great_Gobbo might win an award this year, but he wouldn't have done previously. Some awards might be repeated, but not all of them every year. And having a single monthly award which can't be won twice is basically the same as compiling a list at the end of the year of the top 12 coaches, with January's being the best and December's being the 12th position. Who wants to be 12th?

Anyway, I'm not gonna run it, so unless you are, this is entirely irrelevant.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd help but I wouldn't be solely in charge. It would be a little like the GLN, needs a solid dedicated type.

I'll be honest, it's kind of frustrating. As Whatball said, some guys are doing a lot of work that you guys just aren't aware of, or fully appreciating. As an example; The DE and HE icons needed to be done, I did these while running a fever and more sick than I think I have ever been. Christer wanted some stuff done for the FUMBBL million game day. I did this on my only day off and well into the night, having to work and be responsible for others in my work at 6am that morning.

These things you don't know, the work involved, among other things I have done, and there are others with similar stories. Personally, I think I am more of a FUMBBLer of year than the great gobbo, but I know he's more popular, I understand that. I think his blogs are...ok, I like his positivity, and I love how he plays the game. However, what I have done and what he has done this year, doesn't come close to Garion. The hours, time, learning to do stuff, money, effort and positivity yeah well...thankfully most agree, but those that don't, I really don't think you understand the work he has put in, he deserves the recognition.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Hmm, maybe. I mean, The_Great_Gobbo might win an award this year, but he wouldn't have done previously.

I'm sure if studmandudebro was on the list he would be right there on top.. just because there are some names poeple recognise and some people who operate more in the background...
would really appreciate if there was a revote with the top 2, maybe top 3 people so that all the people who dispersed their votes over all the great actual contributers get a chance to give a vote that matters.

Nothing really to do with whether two people are close in votes. More a matter of why people vote for somebody and green gobbo happens to be the only shirt waving ninja on the list... not that I don't appreciate his efforts to stay in charakter-.... just like i can appreciate any other guy who plays a zombie team and says "braaains" all day or whatever... I wouldn't call him the greatest fumbbler because of that but ok, everyone their own...
Malmir

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for Painstate as I really appreciate his majors coverage, however all nominees are worthy and contribute to the site so well done all. Doesn't really matter who wins; to be nominated is a massive achievement to be proud of.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
xnoelx wrote:
Hmm, maybe. I mean, The_Great_Gobbo might win an award this year, but he wouldn't have done previously.

I'm sure if studmandudebro was on the list he would be right there on top.. just because there are some names poeple recognise and some people who operate more in the background...
would really appreciate if there was a revote with the top 2, maybe top 3 people so that all the people who dispersed their votes over all the great actual contributers get a chance to give a vote that matters.

Nothing really to do with whether two people are close in votes. More a matter of why people vote for somebody and green gobbo happens to be the only shirt waving ninja on the list... not that I don't appreciate his efforts to stay in charakter-.... just like i can appreciate any other guy who plays a zombie team and says "braaains" all day or whatever... I wouldn't call him the greatest fumbbler because of that but ok, everyone their own...

Just to be clear, I was talking in the context of my discussion with HM and supposing that there were multiple awards in different categories.

In the actual situation this year with just one award; while I love The_Great_Gobbo, both for his blogs and for the dedication to play over 200 games with an all-gobbo team, I don't think he will/should win.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Dominik wrote:
What for is Garion known here?

Couldn't even be bothered reading the comment above yours could you?

Dom can read?

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
I nominate smallman for his tireless effort to make Blackbox a better place.

Actually, scratch that. I nominate Carlo_Pellegatti because Newscasters. Making Ranked Fun since CRP begun.

While some people really add to the site by the teams they coach (like Carlo, and, uhm, Garion Wink ), I think contribution above and beyond coaching should be the focus of this thing.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 21:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's worth pointing out that both Garion and the gobbo nominated each other, so others arguing over who should win is a little pointless. Yes, promote your own choice but not by deriding others. People will pick based on what they feel. It's all very good natured, and either would be a worthy winner for very different reasons.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Rite time fer an offishul statement: I, der Great Gobbo az dun nuffin cept rite up sum mildly amusing (hopefully) blogs. Der reel eeros are people like Garion oo do der ard work behind der scenes. Ask yerself wun qweshtun, wivout der Great Gobbo wud der site run az iz, answer yes. Wivout Garion wud der site run az iz, answer no. Dere iz yer answer. But I iz flattered!
Rabe

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of a monthly award. There would be months where a certain coach and his idea/role/engagement would be very present (for example the Great Gobbo and his team or my Borg initiative) and in other months, coaches who work more behind the scenes would get a chance to shine.
It would suite the impact of the momentum better, as a coach/team/idea with high publicity will likely always get more attention (and votes) then those who do background work for the site - and on a poll for a yearly award, the latter should really be on top in my opinion, which probably isn't the case now.

Then again, that's all just how _I_ would like it to be (I know I had that idea in the past as well, like others), but since I won't put myself in charge, I'm not the one to make the rules. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
It's worth pointing out that both Garion and the gobbo nominated each other, so others arguing over who should win is a little pointless. Yes, promote your own choice but not by deriding others. People will pick based on what they feel. It's all very good natured, and either would be a worthy winner for very different reasons.

Hey now!! I might be far behind but it rubs me wrong that you have already discarded me into the trash bin. I still have a shot man, I got my peeps ready to come on line tonight and flood the ballot box.

Very Happy Surprised Shocked Razz