52 coaches online • Server time: 14:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to another installment of Theorybowl.

So I was in a game last night where I had a chance to OTTD the final turn and 3d6ed 2 Bothdowns and 1 Skull with a Human Ogre. Reroll didn't help at all.

This got me thinking, even though Pro wouldn't help in this instance, going forward, if Jock Hattle was lucky enough to get a double, I surely would take Pro on him right? Given the role of instigating that first block for OTTDs and generally living life in a "il dolce far neinte" (The Sweetness of Doing Nothing) manner - he's a roadblock whose TZs I want to keep active. I just feel like if he ever got a double I'd be inclined to minimize his Boneheads.

I was thinking that if one of my Blitzers gets to the next level they might take Grab in an effort to be more reliable, although weighing a 2+ with 3d6 vs. 2d6

That's the team
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=768679

I realized though that taking Pro instead of Block would also depend on which Big Guy on which team and their specific role on the team.

So when do YOU personally take Pro over Block? Is your team makeup more influential on your choice or do you always take your doubles in a specific order according to Big Guy.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The Beast would be about the only candidate, and then that depends on whether you believe he's a SF roadblock or a Grab assist/attacker.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)

Last edited by Smeat on Mar 31, 2015 - 19:48; edited 1 time in total
Electric_Wizard

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~|1Dice |2Dice |3Dice |
No Skills |33.33%|11.11%| 3.70%|
With Block|16.67%| 2.78%| 0.46%|
With Pro  |27.77%| 6.20%| 1.99%|
With Both |10.00%| 1.40%| 0.00%|

From: http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24038

I would always take Block. Except when the big guy can only mutate on doubles, then I might go Claws instead.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
The Beast would be about the only candidate, and then that depends on whether you believe he's a SF roadblock or a Grab assist/attacker.

Is this because of the tentacoli/TZs that you might take Pro?
bghandras

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro-bably a close call. The more you want to block and stay there, and more likely that big guy will be hit, the more you need block. Pro in the other cases. The more guard you have, and more str overall, the less you need block. The less strength you have, the more you need block on the big guy.
So wood elf treeman, or ratogre needs more block, but Kroxi on lizardmen, or troll on orcs need pro-pabaly more.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I might consider Pro first on a Troll from an Orc team.

Aside from the occassional goblin toss, it would also help with repositioning the troll.
I sometimes leave the troll on the bench on offense because it can't move reliably.

I've been fortunate enough to get 2 doubles on a Snow Troll/Yeti, and I took Block and Pro.
But in general, I wouldn't take Pro first on most Big Guys.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Is this because of the tentacoli/TZs that you might take Pro?

Yep, plus Really Stupid.

The Beast is unique as a (starting) roadblock in that typical (St 3) Players needs an 8+ roll (42%) to escape, so the best action is often "doing nothing".

As such, it's not uncommon that the Beast finds itself left behind, one way or another. If you don't want to/can't send a baby-sitter back to it, it's a coin toss to reposition (or Block). With Pro, it's 75% to move, and with a baby-sitter that becomes 11/12 reliable, well over 90%, which is pretty good in BB terms.

Once it has Stand Firm (and we're talking the SF type here, not the Killer type), it's still St 5, so it will take 4 St 3 Players in contact w/ those Tents to get 2d and hope to drop it in place. For any of those who don't/can't move, the beast stands up again right there and ties them up all over again.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Bl-ock.
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Block all the way. Even on nurgle beast. 1/2 block vs NO block with RR isn't too bad.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Block, for sure. He's only going bonehead about twice a game on average, and pro will only help with one of those. Block will work every turn that he blocks and anytime he gets blocked. Sure, he may use pro to re-roll the odd block, still Block is far more useful, imo.
Medon

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with the treeman is, everyone will move away from him all the time. So in order to be able to block at all, you need to be able to move or even blitz without taking root. Pro helps with taking root, with standing up and with blocking. If you have break tackle it helps to reroll the failed 2+. Block only helps with blocking, but if you've taken root that doesn't help at all. So I think pro is more useful on a treeman on the whole. Just make his block last in the turn as non-critical action.

Sorry that was slightly off-topic. For the ogre block is more useful, as he cannot take root Smile

Last edited by Medon on Mar 31, 2015 - 21:40; edited 1 time in total
Medon

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry that was slightly off topic. For the ogre I would choose block as he cannot take root Smile
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

As the official Big Guy defender on FUMMBL here is what I say.

Block before PRO

INLESS

you like your big guy to beat down pixels and kill them.

THEN

You take jugger in place of block and take PRO to increase his fire power to reroll his nega trait or blitz roll.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

a harder choice is the second double... pro? tackle? or dodge?
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2015 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
a harder choice is the second double... pro? tackle? or dodge?

What in da hell?

ALL big guys, if you know will roll 2 X doubles. always take BLOCK/ PRO.

OH

So you are a coward and want just a big guy road block, then you take Block/Dodge.

Why do you guys not listen to me?