18 coaches online • Server time: 01:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I've decided to take a stab at Humans for a bit with my Hoboton Rockets. I've obviously decided that 140k is a bit much for the Ogre, and the team also doesn't have a thrower. The result here looks very rule-of-five, but honestly this is an AV8 team and I'm hoping the linemen develop as well.

The plan here is to use the lone catcher as ball carrier, probably taking sure hands on his first skill. The humans will then either use their speed against slower teams or strength against fast teams, setting up a screen game and hopefully a blitzer touchdown. Few questions here.

1) Blitzer Development

I think the core GS skills are fairly obvious (Tackle, Mighty Blow, Guard), and hopefully each of them gets a double in there somewhere for dodge. What kind of an impact does having one tacklepomber have on getting ranked opponents? Obviously having one is ideal, but not at the expense of sitting in gamefinder without any games to play. +ST, +AG, and +MA are all good, these are the teams stars and keys to victory.

2) Lineman Development

I'm not a fan of wrestle spam on linemen, so I'm leaning towards mainly block, although a couple of wrackle linos wouldn't be bad. I tend to shy away from stats on linemen as well, but I'm thinking humans need +AG anywhere they can find it, and even +ST might be worth it, although guard is pretty important too. After Block, the list of singles thins out quite a bit. Fend can be pretty useful in freeing up AG3 players, and I wonder if Block/Fend isn't a good way to go here. The other argument is wrestle/fend across the board, which should guarantee a few freed up linos every turn to move around, set screens, or give assists. Not sure where to go here.

3) Catcher Development

So yeah, these guys are basically skinks with G access, which is cool I suppose. Right now I only have one, but I could see using two or three of these guys, if only to increase the odds of getting an +AG one. First one surely gets sure hands, and the next skills are fairly obvious (Sure Hands, Block, Sidestep). Diving Tackle and Fend aren't too bad after that, but we're getting pretty bloaty at that point. Really sucks that CRP didn't do anything to improve these guys. They are screaming for AG4 or ST3 or SOMETHING. Obviously they are no gutter runner, but wrestle/strip ball on one might not be a terrible idea either.

4) No Thrower/Ogre

Feel free to comment on this design choice. I think not having an ogre is going to hurt us against ST4 teams, but honestly if you're relying on your big guy to save you... I don't see what the thrower really brings to the table. Sure Hands/Pass are nice to have, but I think I'd rather let the MA8 guy carry the ball?
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I went a bit different, less rule of 5 with a thrower and Ogre. As you said, getting all your SPPs on the blitzers is key to building a solid team (43 of my 51 TDs were on blitzers). It's a breeze compared to obsessively scoring with sauri. Wink

1) From what I've seen and played, I think humans need to be pretty bashy to be successful; I wouldn't (didn't) shy away from po. Stats are great on them, of course (Fischer is a champ).

2) Given how humans need to be bashy in my book, I'm also surprised you do not mention dirty player for your linos. Between dp and kick, I don't think I'd start making block/wrestle+fend guys anytime soon. The linos do a good job of staying low-skilled anyway, I haven't yet fired a healthy one.

1) I haven't bothered with doubles on my blitzers, though I've rolled precious few.

3) I've only had a catcher for 8 of the 29 games. To me the catcher is about the OTTD attempt, or maybe to be fielded if the opponent scores on turn 5-7. I plan to cycle him at 16 SPPs until I get one with +MA or +AG; might even pick sidestep/sprint/sure feet over block next time.

4) As you can see I went with both ogre and thrower. The ogre is great with just block, guard (pro would be nice). I can see the point in leaving either out if you want to sweetspot your team at TV 1400-1600; I just like high TV play, and think having them on the team makes sense at TVs like the 1800 I'm at.

Last edited by the_Sage on %b %01, %2015 - %15:%Apr; edited 3 times in total
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

the Ogre is a nice addition IMHO. a St5 roadblock, just don't activate him if isn't necessary and will do fine. with a couple of mvp will get guard , then try to go for stand firm.

Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hard to go wrong with blitzers, but if you get dodge on one, consider using him as ballcarrier (faster than linemen and more durable than catchers).

My linemen seldom live long enough to gather many skills, I usually go wrackle or bluard (or is it glock?) if I get a double. Consider also having a kicker and a dirty player

I would use catchers are support mostly. They are fast to get where it's needed. They can catch up with run away elf, and with ss and diving tackle on him, he's annoying as heck. Or go for strip ball (improved with wrestle/tackle/dauntless). I don't agree with your statement that catchers are basically skinks with G access. Skinks have stunty which makes them more maneuverable, and more vulnerable.

I use Ogre to strengthen my LoS. He's abit expensive for just line duty though, so unless it gets block, I phase him out.

If you plan on throwing the ball, then go for thrower, if not then don't. You can easily get leader on a thrower, but it's not worth it for me.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Get a thrower as a leader caddy and treat as a lineman for skilling and play (he could be your Kick guy too). This saves you 10k and gets you Pass and SH free, compared to lineman+ RR. Of course you could go for a lineman with leader for 10k cheaper, but you'd have to turn down Guard.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Sissy! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans get games readily. Don't be afraid to POMB it up a little.

Ogres aren't worth it.

One Catcher is a good bargain. One Thrower is a great bargain.

Human Blitzers are some of the best in the game.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Human thrower is worth it just for sure hands (pass is gravy).

If you don't want to protect him then don't, but this rule of 5 stuff is really nonsense you know.

Saying that, I have never (and I mean literally never) built or played a human team, but the ones I do see which seem to have some success are all built in different ways. Probably due to coaching styles more than anything else, but also dependent on how many +stats you roll and which ones.

My personal preference would be to use the Ogre, but if you are interested in sweet spotting at a middle TV then you probably don't have room for him. Ogre is one of the better BGs available, and actually serves a purpose on most human teams which cannot otherwise be duplicated by any other player.

It's also nice when you are playing up in TV (though for R this will probably never be the case) and you can hire another st5-6 star. Putting two of those guys on the pitch at the same time causes all sorts of problems for certain teams who could probably deal with one, but have a much more difficult time dealing with 2 (or more if you really have inducements to spend).
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go with 2 catchers and cycle the hell out of them till you get 2 stat freaks inc an otser.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

dude, grooming should be a banned word

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

+1

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

Not a fan of the Westminster Dog Show I take it.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 18:34
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

What licker said.

And ignore anyone talking of the human throwing game. Human throwers are rugby scrum halves, there to fetch the ball and hand it off to the guy that will score with it (who may be too busy doing other things to take the ball early in the drive). And to take Leader, then kick/KoR/block in some order to taste. In the event that a +ag blitzer happens, the thrower can optionally go.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The only relevant skill a human thrower has is Sure Hands.
It saves rerolls, it is useful for ball retrieving, and in general it is worth more than the 20k difference between a quarterback and a lino.

Other than that, they only become assets if they roll +ag.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2015 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Not a fan of the Westminster Dog Show I take it.

I think "grooming" and "Westminster Dog Show" bring up exactly the right mental image here.

Humans being groomed for play in R? Sure, they are a dog like any other - but what *kind* of dog. And what dog-related things are they actually good at? Very Happy

Jump to: