36 coaches online • Server time: 02:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mayhemzz22

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

i am going to attempt to run a Skaven team in a league. i don't really play Skaven that much so any advice is appreciated.

What would be the best starting roster and would you guys get a rat Oger?

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

mayhemzz22 wrote:
Hi guys,

i am going to attempt to run a Skaven team in a league. i don't really play Skaven that much so any advice is appreciated.

What would be the best starting roster and would you guys get a rat Oger?

Two are the possible starting roster for a league, at least IMHO
4 gutter,
2 Blitzer,
4 Lines,
1 Thrower (or another line and save money)
3 Rerolls,
Apo

Or
4 gutters
1 Rat Ogre
1 Blitzer
5 lines
3 rerolls and buy apo quickly (or 2 rerolls and Apo)
(This is one of Tarabaralla's builds, that have a great record with skaven)

4 Gutters are MANDATORY. Once skilled, they do EVERYTHING in your team. Score, slow enemy, sack, blitz... EVERYTHING. They're your team. Blitzer, if you roll a double or a +ST, can become good, but no more than one, the other will be open to blitz during the opponent turn, and will die, thus do not be too "loved" with him

Remember one rule. They die, every other game, even the players that you try to protect with efforts.
Have faith in your gutters. Use them to the edge of the thinkable... sometimes you'll badly lose one match because you tryed too much, but you won't belive in how much and how well they can do

I prefer the first build. But I'm trying the second build in the box now, and result are nice, for now
AegisTheHyena

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Leilond has said what anyone else would have said. If you don't get 4 gutters you're playing with trouble with a capital T. For laughs I play with one gutter and a surehands/pro backup linerat but that's just because I've been playing them a bit and think I can get away with it.

Rat ogre is a bit iffy. Sometimes they behave, sometimes they don't, and when they don't it can REALLY be a problem. I always take a rat ogre but that's just my personal preference because the extra strength takes forever for me to skill my stormvermin into anything resembling blitzers.

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Join Grind https://www.fumbbl.com/p/group&group=8126&op=view

it's 8 a side and skaven rule
well when i say rule, im not a skaven coach normally and i did ok
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/playbooks/Skaven.pdf
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Quite complete playbook about them.
Leilond

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest you to look at some replay from good skaven coaches
Tarabaralla is probably a coach with a great record with skaven (expecially in black box)
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Leilond wrote:
4 Gutters are MANDATORY. Once skilled, they do EVERYTHING in your team...

Notice L does NOT include a "Thrower". Despite MA 7, SH & Pass, many coaches consider a (rookie) Thrower inferior to GR #4 - Ag 4 + MA 9 makes a fine retriever to start a drive, and are generally more useful and survivable on D, and you often have 1 GR who needs 1-2 spp anyway - fluff passes for the Skill.

Don't know about "1 Blitzer" - Block is one of the few skills Rats start with, and the Blitzers have a lot of potential if they do survive to skill #3 and can roll a doubles for Claw.

I like the Rogre, personally, but not all do. It takes some finesse to know when to blitz to reposition him, and when a WA cointoss is acceptable. Def a "ymmv" thing. Others can speak more on this. Might(?) be worth only 3 GR's to start, might not.

But any of these 3-4 RR starting rosters should work, depending on your playstyle. https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6SkavenSetUp

If you're entering against skilled teams, a starting Apo can save you money - and that'll add up fast.

Otoh, 4 RR allows some very loose and fast play (esp early before team is well-skilled) - and that's Skaven's strongpoint. Also allows more dodging away with linos late in a turn/Half, and that will keep more alive.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

http://bbtactics.com/skaven-teams/ is another good place to start with Skaven. Use the player drop-down box at the top of the page to look at skaven player builds.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2015 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a fan of starting with only 3 guttes, because you really need to develop your blitzers eventually, so having both from the beginning is very important.

I'd also start with the RO, at low TVs he's not such a liability, and he gives you some options on the blitz. Once you have a pomb (cpomb ideally) blitzer you kind of phase the RO out and he becomes a road block with guard (and whatever else you might have taken on him, break tackle is solid).

3 rrs a thrower and whatever is left in line rats.

You can add and skill the 4th gutter later trivially, and for L you will want to do this, but he's not really a necessity early.
Leilond

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

THIS team, with a good 35/10/8 record in black box, play without blitzer
The same player has another good TEAM, with 52/12/11 record in the box, and use no rat ogre and two blitzers

Two completely different game style (the first is pure rule of five play (4 gutters + Rat Ogre, I'm trying it the blitzer get killed), while the second is more conventional skaven play, usually with ONE blitzer that is a key player (usually a bit bashy) and the other like support

The Rat Ogre with no blitzer, usually start with one blitzer. But it's "efficient" in the box because your opponent is chosen in your TV range and thus, a line for a blitzer, mean 40k weaker opponent, considering how they bash in box and that you have to put him in blitz range in turn 1, this strategy can work. I won't use this strategy in league, meaning that you can start with 1 blitzer to play Rat Ogre and 4 gutters, but you can then buy the second blitzer when you have the money

Suggest to look some replays of the two skaven teams I pointed out. They're played with a very aggressive strategy, but remember that, being in the box, there aren't many blodgers at high TV (being rare elf and skaven teams), thus there is no great need for tackle. In a league I should develope a bit different your team for this reason
mayhemzz22

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

im tempted to go with 4 GR but i find it hard not to go for a big guy, the league they will be playing in is very very bashy and i wont be allowed to retire injured players

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

also any advice on making logos will be welcome! Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

mayhemzz22 wrote:
im tempted to go with 4 GR but i find it hard not to go for a big guy, the league they will be playing in is very very bashy and i wont be allowed to retire injured players

The worst house rule ever for skaven
I suggest you to not play skaven at all. If there is something you'll never lack, it's injuried players... you'll have plenty of them. Being forced to play with an AG3 gutter, an ST2 bliyzer and a couple of niggled lines, every other match, putting them on the LOS hoping they die, it's not amazing

It's you and your league... but I find that the worst house rule ever
mayhemzz22

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

its been pretty successful so far, we are half way into our second season. half the fun is seeing what injurys teams pick up. there is a 5av norseman running around out there Razz