44 coaches online • Server time: 16:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What am I to do with it?
Implement all CRP rules and integrate with Fumbbl
46%
 46%  [ 53 ]
Use it as a test bed for new LRB
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Make variants like Rat Ogre Bowl & Deathroller racing
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Add Secret League rosters
15%
 15%  [ 18 ]
Eat a tasty pie
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 113

WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, I think this project has a LOT of potential and looks amazing. It is your own time, so do whatever you want with it.

That said, and this is just my opinion, you really need to contact Kalimar and Christer if you plan on continuing. You've proven you can and will put in the work, so if we can consolidate efforts, then this could be the start of the next BIG phase for FUMBBL, like the last client was. It could give us potential for 4 of the main criteria lacking for current and new players; A client that does not rely on Java, a re-sizable client, updated scalable graphics, and the ability to rotate the field orientation. All that would be HUGE for FUMBBL. Then we can talk AI, etc, etc.

Thanks. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Hi Arry,

I have an additional option for you:

Implement Server side AI so anyone can log on and play against robots. If you think it would be tough to make an AI ... I just happen to have written one! Actually what I have is an interface so that anyone can write their own, plus a single implementation. What you would need to provide then is just a API for which anyone could plug in a bot, then I would rewrite mine to use your API.

Take a look at my project and see if you find it interesting.
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Grod

Basically I really wanted to implement this somewhere server based so that statistics etc could be collected and people could spectate. If it becomes centralised and public, other people might be motivated to create their competing AIs.

The dream? BotWars!

AI tournaments would be soo cool Very Happy
Deniz87

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

the importance of playing also against the AI depends on one's opinion. For example,to me it's more important the AI than,say,the ability to rotate the field orientation.

Roland wrote:

Agree
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
That said, and this is just my opinion, you really need to contact Kalimar and Christer if you plan on continuing.

It's definitely worth speaking to them. Though it would also be nice to have a non Fumbbl client that people can hack for different rules & features.

Roland wrote:

I hear people say this but Grod's project has been around for quite a while but I haven't heard of many people doing much with it.

Maybe more more people would be tempted if it was javascript. But maybe they wouldn't. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
WhatBall wrote:
That said, and this is just my opinion, you really need to contact Kalimar and Christer if you plan on continuing.

It's definitely worth speaking to them. Though it would also be nice to have a non Fumbbl client that people can hack for different rules & features.

I understand, but maybe it could be made to have a concurrent, hackable version. I just see splintering of an already splintered niche market again.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
koadah wrote:
WhatBall wrote:

I understand, but maybe it could be made to have a concurrent, hackable version. I just see splintering of an already splintered niche market again.

I don't think that it would take many people away from Fumbbl. I don't think that anyone is going to put enough effort in to make it robust and comprehensive enough to really compete with Fumbbl.

It is nice to have alternative as we had with Stuntyleeg.com. That didn't really have that many users even when Fumbbl was on the 'old ruleset'.
Most of the users who would prefer to use this would probably be people who don't use Fumbbl much anyway. I would expect a Fumbbl web client to be here soon enough. If Christer is desperate for people to work on it I'd expect Arry to hear from him. Wink

Fumbbl has to be more careful what it does so that the system continues to run smoothly for the existing users, leagues, tournaments etc.

I don't think that we want the Fumbbl database to get bunged up with loads of hand rolled hacked data. Even if Christer gave us a separate database it wouldn't necessarily fit what people wanted to put in it.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

oooh, so there are buttons hidden behind the pitch eh? Razz
what browser do you recommend for this? (please not IE) Very Happy
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
oooh, so there are buttons hidden behind the pitch eh? Razz
what browser do you recommend for this? (please not IE) Very Happy

The latest Firefox. IE11 does seem to work. A lot better than chrome at least. Wink

Here's one I created earlier.
I don't think that the free for all approach really works. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
I can open-source it and write some docs if anybody's interested in seeing the internals. It's a good point to jump in - just a week of work after all. Very Happy

I understand you're on Linux, so am I, so I believe as well you know the advantages of open sourcing it. Yeah, that would be a great move.

Also, I was really sceptical when you first talked about your project, you proved me wrong, and heck, I love it. Let me know if you need help with the code. I know that managing a dev team sometimes takes as much time as doing everything alone when you're motivated, so I'd understand if you weren't looking for help. And anyways, if you're making it open source, anyone could continue the project if you happened to abandon it before it's finished.

(PS: I may be away for a few weeks so don't be surprised if I don't answer quickly if you contact me)

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

it could solve the android problem!!!

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

This is great!
Now integrate it to the fumbbl databases so we can use our teams.
And add sound! I want my "doi!"s and splooshes Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the reported issues are fixed already! \o/ Mr. Green

So if you can just get Chrome working... Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I just played through a half an it worked very well. Good stuff. Definitely too many mouse clicks required though.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Could you try adding something like

Code:
flex-shrink:0

to the div with class .top?

That might get Chrome, Safari, Opera coaches into the game.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2015 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I've uploaded the new version. It got fixes for Chrome (and probably other browsers, because I gutted Flexbox completely); login/register and playing vs. other users. Uploaded code to Bitbucket.

BTW the backend is in Perl, that might turn off some people as Perl has a bad reputation. Very Happy

Some responses to particular people:

SzieberthAdam, I like having more control over the engine. This might allow taking it in the directions Kalimar didn't intend for his.

Grod and Deniz87: I'm most interested in PvP, so I won't be making the AI at this point. Sorry guys.

MattDakka, I'm so used to the current icons that I'm not sure if I want use new ones. The change of Slann icons is a shock to this moment.

harvestmouse: I've added the credit for Nick Kelsch and removed link to Java Bowl.

the_Sage: Touch support works tolerably well out of the box. There are exactly three methods of interaction with the app: Hover (to see the player stats), Click (to select position/action), and Scroll. Hover and Click are transformed to Tap and Double Tap on the Safari mobile browser, and Scroll to Drag.

WhatBall, I'll contact them once the client reaches CRP-completeness. I'm not really interested in running a full BB experience with groups, leagues etc, which Fumbbl excels at.

Sounds, and keyboard shortcuts, and stand up in one action, and actions nearer to the player are all good suggestions to be considered.

Thanks all for kind words!
 Jump to: