52 coaches online • Server time: 13:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What am I to do with it?
Implement all CRP rules and integrate with Fumbbl
46%
 46%  [ 53 ]
Use it as a test bed for new LRB
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Make variants like Rat Ogre Bowl & Deathroller racing
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Add Secret League rosters
15%
 15%  [ 18 ]
Eat a tasty pie
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 113

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

dode74 wrote:

I don't think "the screen is horizontal" is a particularly relevant argument. We've not suddenly started doing our word processing in landscape.

I think it is relevant because on a standard sized laptop screen one of 2 things would have to happen.

1. You make a smaller pitch, and then everything has to change. 2. You would have to scroll, which definitely isn't the way to go.

Typing is different in that you are scrolling down as you go, and generally only return to the top to spell check, which again will scroll down.

Theoretically you might have to scroll up and down a few times per turn and if everything was in one area bar a couple of players, you will have situations where they're forgotten.

I do see your point, but I think in most cases it's more than that putting people off trying FUMBBL or other java clients.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it would be more plausible with a resizable client and icons.

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 06:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have thought that a big part of going HTML/Javascript was to target tablets etc.

Going portrait would be natural.

Yes, people have been crying out for a re-sizable field and icons.

I suppose we could just wait until he has done the main game and then hack it about. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

arry - thank you. Yes, "Shift+D" would be clearer - I didn't even consider that.

hm - we'll agree to disagree, I think Wink
arry

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

There are great arguments for and against portrait mode. I don't see the reason why you can't make it an option. People who like landscape are happy, and people who like portrait are happy. It isn't an either-or.
arry

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear friends, does anybody know where I can get hold of the star players icons used in the client, in the format of home-homeactive-away-awayactive (like this)?
Roland

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
Dear friends, does anybody know where I can get hold of the star players icons used in the client, in the format of home-homeactive-away-awayactive (like this)?

https://fumbbl.com/help:Full+list
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Any race_id is available HERE. Notice that Star Players have race_id = 67. By using the New FUMBBL API's Roster endpoint you can get all roster details in JSON or XML, including the portraits but, unfortunately, not the icons (or unfortunately many redundant position data). Still you can use the position endpoint for all the players (Barik Farblast). There is the icon ID. Both portraits and icons can be requested from fumbbl.com/i/<portrait_or_icon_id> (Barik Farblast)

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2015 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

New version is online.

It has a team editor.

Thanks to Roante for the name generator.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2015 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Great stuff!!

Only one complaint. It won't let me take claw on my flings! Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

when do we get "Secret League" teams on this client?
https://fumbbl.com/help:SecretLeague

EDIT: nice team creator!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just reading this:

"GLN: What would you have done totally different if you could start over?

SkiJunkie: I would have sat down and properly designed the whole system. As it was I just started by making a field you could put players on and move them around. Then I would say, "Let's see them throw a block," or "pass the ball" and I would add that in. So basically it is the lack of planning that causes stuff like the inability to return to the setup screen once you leave it. The original game didn't have a setup screen, it was hard coded to start and load Reikland Reavers vs Gouged Eye. The setup screen was just tacked on later to allow a way to select teams and options."

That was the downfall of Ski's client eventually. The coding go so complicated and messy that only he could work on it, and no longer had the time (or could work out what to do).

Words to the wise and all that.
arry

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland, I'm not sure about it. Next step is implementing all of the remaining skills, then inducements. I feel I'll skip cards for now. (Did you know there's a card that creates a second ball? Crazy!) After that I might to the secret league teams. Or might not.

HM, that logic sounds compelling, but I'm of the opposite opinion: if he were to design everything "properly" at the beginning, the project wouldn't get anywhere. I have even a platitude to support my view: every working big system was a working small system initially. I'm happy with how my project goes, and the beginnings were definitely the same trajectory: do a little piece, then grow a little more, etc. So far I can still wrap my head about it (:
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it was his downfall. Eventually the programming got so messy, only he could work on it. And it got to the point where things that appeared simple were time consuming for him due to the lack of planning/tidiness. I think without this, he'd have been more motivated to keep going, and eventually he gave up with it.

Personally, I have no idea. I'm not a programmer. However, that was the downfall of his project. It was a new adventure for Ski, so maybe he did things in an unorthodox manner.
MDeLarge

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2015 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well done arry!!! \o/
I tested it yesterday and it works pretty well, can't wait until all skill were implemented (No secret weapons Sad )
 Jump to: