33 coaches online • Server time: 08:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
To be honest it seems a bit stupid to write rosters before core rules.

Stupid is too far, but these rosters simply don't make any sense to me, and understanding both the rule set they are expected to play under, as well as the fluff of the game itself would be helpful.

It feels like the differences in Rugby 7s, 11s, 15s (whatever it is, I don't know rugby) or football, arena football, flag football...

So yeah, carry on with your plans, but I'm not sure why (of if) you'd expect everyone (or almost anyone) at fumbbl to just 'take your word for it'.

Many of us have been playing BB for many years, and everyone has their own opinion on what rule set was best or most fun or whatever. So coming in with a 'I'm going to fix things' attitude is going to get the people who don't think anything is broken in a bit of a huff at least.
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:

One of the key signifiers that this is a blustery vanity project. The other being the rosters are rubbish. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
I haven't been involved in a very long time.

Just what we need, someone who hasn't been playing to make up a new rule set that suits them. The rules here on Fumbbl are fine, if you don't like them then make a private league and change them to whatever you want.

All people seem to talk about anymore are quitting, raging, and making new rules/rosters. Does anyone actually just play the game for fun???
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Observe the new options for leagues, where rules can be modified (to a certain extent) and custom rosters has been announced as a project. So if people are on board, things like this can get made within FUMBBL's current system, if the rules aren't too far away from the standard.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG IS THIS HAPPNEING AND A REAL THINGS?

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:

Core rules will be pretty much the same as third edition era. It's more exciting to start in media res like this, you know? Very Happy
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
Noticed you have no Trolls or Ogre on the Orcs and Humans respectively.

The Big Guys are involved in a collective go-slow. They are tired of being told they are stupid, you know? Now that they have time to think, they are going to be careful about which rosters they volunteer to be LoS fodder for.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Stupid is too far, but these rosters simply don't make any sense to me, and understanding both the rule set they are expected to play under, as well as the fluff of the game itself would be helpful.

It feels like the differences in Rugby 7s, 11s, 15s (whatever it is, I don't know rugby) or football, arena football, flag football...

So yeah, carry on with your plans, but I'm not sure why (of if) you'd expect everyone (or almost anyone) at fumbbl to just 'take your word for it'.

Many of us have been playing BB for many years, and everyone has their own opinion on what rule set was best or most fun or whatever. So coming in with a 'I'm going to fix things' attitude is going to get the people who don't think anything is broken in a bit of a huff at least.

I really don't understand this post at all.

This is a thread for enthusiasts. If you are still playing Blood Bowl for comfort, then carry on with whatever version you are used to. Here, we will talk about how it can be more fun.

When I say that I have been playing BB for approx 20 years, I am just establishing credentials which, given all I've done for this site, should hardly be necessary.

When I talk about Jervis Johnson, I am talking about a man who ran GW with Andy Chambers and built the foundations of *everything* they have done since. As far as I know, he is in Jakarta, watching amazing Welsh–Indonesian films, hooked up with that Dutch woman out of Game of Thrones. If he doesn't think that my work here is pretty cool, then I am Dreadclaw, a Dutchman.

Seriously, man, someone has already ordered their pet mod to dump this thread out of General (I guess because people only post here these days to say, 'Cyanide is better, yo'). What more do you want?

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
OMG IS THIS HAPPNEING AND A REAL THINGS?

*Angmar Marauders give their best bros a big and long overdue hug*

Guess what man?

Goblin list?

There's an Orc Blitzer or two on it that thinks the Goblins need a protector or two. Put your shades on — Dark Future is coming soon. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The rosters I guess have a very much 2nd ed feel where each team can play a variety of different ways. Personally, I'd prefer something like the Warhammer army book feel, where each roster has set options, rather than can choose it's variety.

I really like how you are simplifying describing. I'm not a fan of the new way of describing players; Bretonnians being the worst case example of adding skills because they're fun and then inventing an artificial reason.

I also like how you're adding more set positions. I too want to add Kickers and Blockers. I'd like to see Berserkers and Runners being set (and identifiable) positionals too.

Negatively, I think you've got blockers wrong. A Black Orc is the archetypal blocker. So I don't really see the need to add one with different stats. It could be Black Orcs & Blockers rather than a Black Orc Blocker.

Also I think you have your stats incorrect for them (as I said BOBs have the correct stats). I would go 4429 on them. I don't think they should come with skills as they're rather loutish and dimwitted. Also going AV10 on the Orc Blocker kind of moves them into what should be the Dwarf territory for a blocker. And essentially there is just too many block positionals in the end.

Personally I'd go with exactly the same human and orc blockers and 3 4 2 10 Thick Skull for the Dwarf.

If you are set on this new style of Blocker being the blocker, why not give blitzers across the board wrestle instead of block? Then it adds a bit more variety and difference between the positionals.

Sea Elves I'm not really understand at all. Sea Elves are an identifiable sub-culture/race of Elves and you're using the term to bring all Elves under one umbrella. I did read your answer when questioned, but I still don't really see it. Witch Elves are essentially Chaotic, and surely cannot play on the same team as High Elves. Also Wood Elves are as seafaring as a piece of lead.

2 distinct rosters at least good/evil. Change of name. And maybe a missed opportunity to make a good elf team more articulate and an evil one a bit more bashy. Anyway I think the whole concept needs to go back to the drawing board.

On the Dwarf team, why a Giant slayer (stats are good I think) instead of Troll Slayers? A Giant Slayer is a promoted Troll Slayer, so TS should be far more common than a GS.

Why 3rd ed base instead of LRB4? 4 Was the pinnacle of the style of rules you (and I) like, wasn't it? I still play the old client and there are some really horrible mechanics in the 3rd ed/early LRB rules.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %15, %2016 - %02:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

mdd31 wrote:
The rules here on Fumbbl are fine

Then why are you screaming?

This is a forum post. If you don't like it, stop screaming.

Don't make me go all Gurren Lagaan here. Wink

Last edited by pac on %b %15, %2016 - %03:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Joemanji wrote:
One of the key signifiers that this is a blustery vanity project. The other being the rosters are rubbish. Wink

Hello, Joemanji.

I know you from way back. You play tabletop. When you can't you break down and play FUMBBL. But it is wrong. It should be tabletop but it will only ever be in second place. What a surprise that you are trolling me …

Go away and let me perform for the forums that like me, s'il vous plait.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Personally I'd go with exactly the same human and orc blockers and 3 4 2 10 Thick Skull for the Dwarf.

Harvestmouse, dude, that is a seriously hardcore stat line. You never go full MA 3! Even dwarves would never go full MA 3!

Glad to see you're still around though, and your feedback is *certainly* always welcome!

Quote:
If you are set on this new style of Blocker being the blocker, why not give blitzers across the board wrestle instead of block? Then it adds a bit more variety and difference between the positionals.

I'm not sure whether to even include Wrestle, tbh. It's a nice idea, but it never really made much sense to be honest. I'm sure Fend and Grab and the like will still be in though. We'll see how things go.

Quote:
Sea Elves I'm not really understand at all.

No one does man. Especially sea elves themselves. Imagine it. You live on a strip of sand. Some noble says, 'Go to sea and find some luxuries and maybe we'll let you in to Ulthuan someday'. Then you get a letter from someone on the inside and they say, 'Hey, it's crazy in here! Don't come in! There's this crazy archmage called Morathianna who wants to destroy all monarchists and there's no way out!' In the end, the best plan was to build a ship and go from port to port trying to play Blood Bowl.

Quote:
Witch Elves are essentially Chaotic, and surely cannot play on the same team as High Elves.

Witch Elves? Chaos? You'd better run this by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Me and Karen O are pretty sure we fixed all of the chaos powers up. But shit was wack, you know? Synn can only keep her so high, yeah?

Quote:
Also Wood Elves are as seafaring as a piece of lead.

Yeah, they have real trouble developing sea legs. But Wardancers and Glade Runners are there to say that there's always another forest to run to if you need to.

Quote:
2 distinct rosters at least good/evil.

This isn't Saga of the Storm. There is no alignment. Trolls are not religious and BB would be no fun without them.

Quote:
On the Dwarf team, why a Giant slayer (stats are good I think) instead of Troll Slayers?

Listen, if Gotrek Gurnisson and Felix Jaeger get you on the phone and say, 'Man, we are sick of making Bill King explain how we dealt with every big bad in Warhammer by ourselves', then you get yourself together and free up some Trollslayers. Giantslayers just want Galak to man up and face them in public. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
licker wrote:

I really don't understand this post at all.

This is a thread for enthusiasts. If you are still playing Blood Bowl for comfort, then carry on with whatever version you are used to. Here, we will talk about how it can be more fun.

This is a significant hurdle you will have to jump. You come in assuming your version of 'fun' is somehow universal. Hint, it's not. I don't really care at all what you think would make fumbbl or BB 'more fun'. I do care if you think that your version is somehow inherently superior to anyone elses version.

Short version? You're acting like a douchebag. And yes, it takes one to know one.

pac wrote:
When I say that I have been playing BB for approx 20 years, I am just establishing credentials which, given all I've done for this site, should hardly be necessary.

Again, I don't care and I think it's completely irrelevant what anyone has or hasn't done for the site in terms of paying more or less attention to whatever set of rules they personally think are 'better'.

pac wrote:
When I talk about Jervis Johnson, I am talking about a man who ran GW with Andy Chambers and built the foundations of *everything* they have done since. As far as I know, he is in Jakarta, watching amazing Welsh–Indonesian films, hooked up with that Dutch woman out of Game of Thrones. If he doesn't think that my work here is pretty cool, then I am Dreadclaw, a Dutchman.

No idea what any of this means or why anyone should give a crap.

pac wrote:
Seriously, man, someone has already ordered their pet mod to dump this thread out of General (I guess because people only post here these days to say, 'Cyanide is better, yo'). What more do you want?

I want you to understand that coming in here and acting like a big shot isn't going to work out well for you. It doesn't work out well for actual real big shots (hi plasmoid) unless they actually run this site or do the actual coding on it.

Your set of house rules may be great and I wish you luck in developing them. Just keep them as that, house rules, which is where this thread got correctly moved to.

Trust me, there are precious few who think you will do a better job of making fumbbl better by throwing up a bunch of rosters and rule changes.
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2016 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Short version? You're acting like a douchebag. And yes, it takes one to know one.

Why are you trolling for a ban?

I don't report people, I just wait for the mods to do their job in their own time.

shadow46x2 will dispose of you in his own time.

If you don't like *my* thread, then leave it. Ignore lists exist for a reason.

Last edited by pac on %b %15, %2016 - %02:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: