27 coaches online • Server time: 03:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pablets

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Google also tells us (if you use the 'translate this page' option on a Spanish language dictionary result) that diestro can mean right-handed (cf sinister/dexter), matador, and skillful or dextrous.

To be honest though, it mostly makes me think of Destro from Action Force (GI Joe to our colonial friends). And I like that, I can imagine players with shiny metal heads like his.

My friend in this case you must check www.RAE.es RAE is Royal Academy of Spanish Language. Diestro as adjetive is somebody skillful or dextrous. And as name originally is a man skilled at arms of 16-18th centuries. Later in bullfighting people called Diestro to the Torero or Matador, cause in Spain Torero at final part of corrida kills (mata) the bull with sword.
As i said before in this chat i got not knowlegde that Warhammer or Warhammer novels mention bullfighting in Estalia, thats the reason i dont want to use exclusive bullfighting names as picador, matador or torero.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well you can bet your bottom dollar if it sells figures they would. The only reason it would be left out, is for political correctness; and bullfighting in the rest of the world is not nowadays. However political correctness can go and beep itself when it comes to creativity for a fantasy environment.

We can all envision a matador and how he holds himself. His skill set is perfect for the BloodBowl pitch. We all can relate an image to the word 'Matador'. However outside of Spanish speakers Diestro means nothing.

It could be there's room for both, but this s/s dodge fellow is a matador to me. I always say, you need a very good reason to add skills to an already described race (in this case humans). S/S on a Matador is one of those good reasons.

Personally, I'd say he needs the name change. However I'd like to check all sources first, to see how much the Diestro term is used (before discarding it). And for me that's not going to happen for 3 or 4 months.
Pablets

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Yeah, that's the one, part one of the Orfeo trilogy, followed by Plague Daemon and Storm Warriors.

Just checked, the 3rd edition book does say that Estalia isn't united under a single ruler (like the Empire or Brettonia) but is made up of kingdoms of various sizes, and that the cities war amongst each others.

WFRP (p277) has about half a page covering a general description, details of the two main cities, and again, mentions of infighting between the cities.

Neither mentions Diestros, but the 6th ed rulebook may, I don't have that one to check.

At Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay page 38 you can find the Estalian Diestro.
Pablets

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well you can bet your bottom dollar if it sells figures they would. The only reason it would be left out, is for political correctness; and bullfighting in the rest of the world is not nowadays. However political correctness can go and beep itself when it comes to creativity for a fantasy environment.

We can all envision a matador and how he holds himself. His skill set is perfect for the BloodBowl pitch. We all can relate an image to the word 'Matador'. However outside of Spanish speakers Diestro means nothing.

It could be there's room for both, but this s/s dodge fellow is a matador to me. I always say, you need a very good reason to add skills to an already described race (in this case humans). S/S on a Matador is one of those good reasons.

Personally, I'd say he needs the name change. However I'd like to check all sources first, to see how much the Diestro term is used (before discarding it). And for me that's not going to happen for 3 or 4 months.

Not, Harvest. Matador is famous in real world for bullfighting, as i said before in Warhammer by the moment bullfighting doesnt exist. However Estalian Diestro are described in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay page 38.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you really got my point. I can't say for sure whether it has or it hasn't come up within the Warhammer world before.

However there's plenty that hasn't that does exist. What I am saying is that, it would exist if they wanted it, unless they didn't want to touch the concept due to Political Correctness.

Basically as the Old World portrays Europe, anything Spanish fits the Estalian theme.

The fact both you and Garion (seem to as you never answered the question) came up with the Diestro term independently also means something. There are an awful lot of possible positionals for this team. And if you go AV8 on the lino and lose the ill discipline, making it weak enough becomes problematic.
Pablets

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
They're AG 3 though. I'm actually starting to like this roster a bit more now. I think the Diestro positional is about there. I'd change the name to a matador though. Everybody knows what they are. The only place I've seen diestro is yours and Garion's list.

Needs a Vega style star player. Maybe linos could be Conquistadors? Or the other positional?

Street Fighter not, please.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

On page 38 of the 1st edition of WFRP, there are only descriptions of the Seer, Servant and Smuggler careers, and none of the other careers mention Diestro either.

I'm not disagreeing at all, just trying to track down where it does show up. Maybe you have a Spanish language version, or you're referring to the 2nd or 3rd edition books?

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
AFAIK Animosity only works between players of different races, which is why I think the OP said that he decided against it. In Garion's list it by RAW does nothing, unless you modify the skill (which he suggests).

The lack of cohesion thing seems to be based on fluff about Estalian in-fighting. As me and Matt pointed out with the re-roll cost it likely isn't any worse than the in-fighting Orcs suffer, so I'd just go with 60k re-rolls and leave it at that.

The Diestro's are now very similar to my preferred/suggested Human catcher change. I like them though, I think it'd make a fun roster. I think I'd still swap Thick Skull for an AV though on the Guards.

Yeah, about Animosity rules i´m agree with you. Thats the reason i discarded.

Really to determine the hanidcap of estalian rivalry is uncertain and difficult, yet I doubt about it.

I'm still evaluating to create a new positional place but resting 2 Guards or Diestros.

And about give 1 AV to Guards, i think it would be like become Guards in Orc Blitzers. I think Orcs lovers will kill me if i try this.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Well........it could be that there's so much good stuff here, there's room for 2 lists. Neither one being well rounded. Faster lighter agile list and harder, heavier strength list. Playing of the rivalry of Biballi (Catalans) and Magritta (Spanish). That way you can make weaknesses and have a rivalry.
Pablets

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
On page 38 of the 1st edition of WFRP, there are only descriptions of the Seer, Servant and Smuggler careers, and none of the other careers mention Diestro either.

I'm not disagreeing at all, just trying to track down where it does show up. Maybe you have a Spanish language version, or you're referring to the 2nd or 3rd edition books?

Here you can see him in 2nd edition.

Last edited by Pablets on %b %19, %2016 - %13:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

2nd ed book. Not a good idea to post links like this, GW don't like it (even though they don't have WFRP anymore). Better to remove it and send him a PM.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, yeah, that explains it, that's the 2nd edition book.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
Pablets wrote:
But thinking about Diestro positional maybe wasn't good defined. Rogue and Diestro was sharing the same work in team and that made Diestro position a little confusing. So i've decided make the Diestro the offensive player of team, making him faster and i erased Rogue positional.
Thanks everybody for your opinions.

I'm not a fan of losing the rogue position. Certainly 4 of your Diestro positions is too powerful when you consider the havoc caused by two pro elf Blitzers. Buts that's just my opinion I suppose.

Yeah i liked the Rogue Positional but too similar position with Diestro and indeed i got not information about Rogue as famous estalian characters.
Pablets

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well........it could be that there's so much good stuff here, there's room for 2 lists. Neither one being well rounded. Faster lighter agile list and harder, heavier strength list. Playing of the rivalry of Biballi (Catalans) and Magritta (Spanish). That way you can make weaknesses and have a rivalry.

Bilbali reminds me more of Bilbao (Basque capital). And vascos and catalans got the same rivalry with the rest of Spain.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2016 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're right, it's more Bilbao. Can you remove the book link, we can't have links like that here. Dangerous for the site.
 Jump to: