44 coaches online • Server time: 17:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
15 games, though there will be no redraft cap, and cumulatively a lot more money available. which means teams could in theory start a 15 game run at 1800TV if they really wanted. Ideally with the match maker and TV based match making.

All good ideas, make them happen!
Scheduler and TV-MM are very important.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

tv matchmaking makes people choose such a wierd meta. i don't think secret league should enforce tv matchmaking.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
tv matchmaking makes people choose such a wierd meta. i don't think secret league should enforce tv matchmaking.

Depends on how you define tv match making.

This ruleset is already extreme in its promotion of min max team building. Tv mm should do nothing to add or subtract from that dictum.

Also just because you are matched on the nearest tv. Does not mean that you are the same tv. There will still be room for diversity of tv range.

However this is all pie in the sky stuff atm. I have no idea if matchmaker will even be available for SL

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

well, lets say that i completely dislike how box does matchmaking (understanding that it has to do SOMETHING). I would argue that any team within, say, 400 tv should have equal chances of being matched (I'm willing to have a discussion on exactly where the line should be, but PROBABLY somewhere in that vicinity, certainly north of 200k). Full stop. I'm fine with not being matched up (in the current box) with the really big guys, like the million plus results we sometimes see (and in SL that will be even more important, as some of the big teams are absurd), but I don't want two teams that are within 40k of each other to usually be selected instead of 2 teams that are 150k apart.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with matching TV as closely as possible is that by definition, this means anything you add to your own team is literally adding something to your opponents team. That means you don't weight new skills/players/support staff based on how much it helps your team - you have to weigh it based on whether its better than whatever your opponent gets.

If you allow for a much larger variation, then when you're choosing to add tv to your own tv, that isn't inherently changing your opponents teams (It still could of course, if you HAPPEN to get someone right at the top end, but that would happen far less often compared to matching tv as closely as possible), and therefore, you choose based on what it does for YOUR team.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The alternative of no scheduler is picking/being picked.
A weird meta is better than games affected by picking factor.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, no i completely am in favor of a scheduler. Just not one based on tv matching as closely as possible.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The alternative of no scheduler is picking/being picked.
A weird meta is better than games affected by picking factor.

Let's not turn this into one of those discussions matt. Your views are well documented. We don't need to revist them. Cheers Smile

@Nelphine I get where you are coming from. I will discuss this more when I know what options are possible.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't mean to turn it into one of those discussions, just endorsing the implementation of a scheduler in SL.
It would make the division more appealing to me.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
Oh, no i completely am in favor of a scheduler. Just not one based on tv matching as closely as possible.

I doubt that there would be enough teams in the Box for it to be mostly within 40k.

I think that you'll get more teams/coaches if you go for TV matching. Some teams will get over 2000k

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2020 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

right, and all i'm saying is, instead of just doing a flat 'go as close as you can' instead do a larger range where everything counts as equivalent tv. that way, you can still stop the really big gaps being preferred (they would still happen if no other choice).

So for instance
- if any such teams exist, randomly choose your opponent from all teams within 250k tv.
- otherwise, randomly choose your opponent from all teams within 400k tv
- otherwise, randomly choose your opponent from all teams within 550k tv
... keep going with brackets of 150k tv
ShiftyFly

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2020 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
no. my rules are designed to bring all the teams far closer to each other. Obviously they aren't designed to make halflings equal to wood elves, but they are designed to remove the concept of tiers. so even with that, you can't remove the negatraits if you have that many S5 players. That's not tier 1 - that's tier 0.

Do you mean that the official teams don't comply with your rules?

Also, if you compare my team to khemris, then they loose armour, sure hands, block, MV6, a lot of general skills access and armour, they gain stunty, which with AG2, is more of a hindrance than help, they gain a bit more strength, they gain cost, disturbing presence, a bit of foul appearance,a lot more decay, team wide M access, and an expensive, st6 beast of nurgle with decay and -AV.
Compare them to lizardmen, they loose AG, AV, and MV, they loose agility access and general access on the saurii, increase price, gain decay and loose dodge. Instead, they gain ST, regeneration, M access, disturbing presence, foul appearance and upgrade prehensile tail to tentacles (although WA makes it harder to use).
Note that I have colour coded the pros and cons

Last edited by ShiftyFly on %b %19, %2020 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2020 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Lose has 1 o

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2020 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

My eyes... my eyes! those green words have Foul Appearance!
Really, if you want people to read your posts, I humbly suggest to use a more readable green. Very Happy
Darker green would be more readable than fluo green.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2020 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

No? for instance, ogres still have bonehead.

(official teams don't comply with all my pricing though, but that's not what's being discussed. all the rules based around stats, and the block skill, the official teams comply with.)
 Jump to: