45 coaches online • Server time: 20:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jdm

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

End of game, another badly hurt (had the assist and made the dauntless roll to take on the thirster but then double skulled it) and another KO. Finished with 5 players on pitch. And my opponent only rolled 11 pows on 132 block dice.

Replay here

Again, not sure what the solution is. Luckily for me the dead player was a loner hired to replace one of my mng. But I only had 10 players on my roster anyway due to death last game.

Problem is that ag4 stunty is so powerful that you can minimise the hits, to some degree. But when they start coming from things you can't avoid (LOS etc) you rapidly lose players.

I do like the change in catcher's armour from av6 to 7 though, that helped a lot.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

there was no change. They've just been entered incorrectly I think. But I am happy to leave them like that.
jdm

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2016 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
there was no change. They've just been entered incorrectly I think. But I am happy to leave them like that.

Oh, I was sure I'd played games where they were av6 but looking at my replays I must be mistaken. Sorry about that.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2016 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Another game with pygmy, another close match (snaked a dodge while holding the ball before making a 3+ pass with a reroll to a 2+ with catch for the win).

And more injuries sustained by the team: an RIP and a niggle, so 2 more linemen need replacing. As well as the RIP from last game. Luckily I won 70k so could get that third reroll (which I'm not sure I need now) and replace one of the linemen.

Once again, the cas and KO box was our friend as we finished the game with 8 players off the field (out of my 11 strong roster). The problem isn't that pygmies can't win games, or do well. I'm 2/1/1 with them and I'm an average coach at best. It's the rate of player turnover they suffer. Most teams will cage around the ball so your only option is to commit player, who take 3dbs until they get knocked down. It's quite easy to get a 1db on the ball carrier, and maybe once I get guard on the blitzers I'll be able to get 2dbs easily. But by that time my TV will be so lofty that the other team will be guarded up too. And tackled up. And that's really a TV that this team doesn't want to be playing at. The team is 1240k at the moment. 9 players, 2 journeymen, apoth, 3 rr, 3 ff. Maybe they need to run with just 1 rr as most of the rerolls are inbuilt - dodge etc. Even that wouldn't save them much though. And you need the rr for the failed 3+ dauntless on the ball carrier for example.

I'm sure I've made the comparison before, but I'd quite happily go head to head with a pygmy rosters vs an all crester nautican roster for a few games. I think the ag4 would be partially countered by the crester's big hand and the crester's superior speed.

I know the pygmy roster is designed to be like this, and that's absolutely fine, but you don't want them to sit on a shelf looking pretty, you want people to choose to take them out onto the field in leagues and long-term development formats.

Just checked the stats for all the races and pygmy are sitting quite near the top with 60% wins (7/4/4). The other major team is Azure's Tiny Lions which have a great record of 4/1/0. There are only 8 players rostered on the Tiny Lions and that includes players with -ag and -av.

At this rate it feels like pygmies are never going to progress out of the ~1200k tv range. I guess time will tell as more games get played. Only 15 so far, Azure and I make up 9 of them

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2016 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

with pygmies they are doing pretty well soo far, but have a very small number of games played currently. their problem is buying players back. This was caused by their non discounted price. I went with non discounted because they break roster design rules so I had to be strict with their pricing. however if a change is made it would be to give the 10k discount to blitzers and throwers that they should normally get.
jdm

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2016 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you played it cautious, which makes a lot of sense with a roster like this. The ag4 is certainly powerful and there's not much you could do with the team to stop the attrition rate.

Whatever you do with them, I'll keep playing them Smile they're so much fun to use and every game is a real David and Goliath story.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2016 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

What are people finding re: Elementals and no Apoth? Is it a real drawback? I've only played one game so far with them, a 1-0 win: it was my Earth Elementals vs jwor024's Fire Elementals, and the lack of Apoth wasn't a big deal on either side (no permanent damage, only MNG came early), but it seems to me that the team will have a hard time developing star power.

I picked Earth for that reason. I figure the average Earth Elemental is about as tough as a Zombie, and the Water and Fire guys are comparable to up-armored Ghouls.

Last edited by JackassRampant on Jul 13, 2016 - 17:58; edited 1 time in total
TheGe

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2016 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

First match with my Daemons of Khorne : a lucky one where every things went well : my cultists manage to score 3 TD while my Deamons rip appart his team.

Let's see for futur matchs to see how this team works.
krom72

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2016 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i played a bunch of matches with gnome. they offer a nice stunty st3 team lacking core skills. The gnomsih contraction are well thought to balance this. Still i got a mixed feeling they lack some options the oher stunty have. on the other hand if any of them roll AG+ you got a stunty ST3 hell of a gnome...
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2016 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Two of the Secret League’s foremost teams faced off tonight, as the diseased rats of Pestuzillos hosted the surprisingly successful Touch Not the Cat. Following a damaging loss against the Zoatrain, Pestuzillos were looking to get back on track against an opponent who their star Plague Priest Puerta Flipau had described to the press as “really weak.” For their part, the weres of Touch Not the Cat came into the game looking to further prove their worth to a skeptical fan base, which had suggested that their 7-2-2 record was due more to favorable match-ups than to the team’s strength.

The rats won the coin toss and received the initial kickoff, but failed to capitalize as Julitros Coldeale dropped the ball, then bungled the pickup. Werewolf Rose McGillivray, the Cats’ leading blocker, proved her worth in a big way, injuring superstar plague priest Puerta Flipau on the team’s first block of the game. A risky block by McGillivray’s fellow wolf Mungo MacThomas paid dividends, knocking out the opposing censer bearer and opening up the field. The race was on, with three werecats closing in on the ball.

Speedy werecat Charlie Mackintosh made it to the loose ball, seemingly intending to pass it clear, but he couldn’t get a handle on it, and plague monk McCalan knocked him out. Madero Frustrado picked up the ball, but MacThomas blitzed in to sack him. Fergus MacPherson grabbed the ball and handed it off to the Cats’ star QB Muriel Davidson, who sprinted toward the end zone. McCalan’s blitz came up short, and Davidson was on the board with the first touchdown of the game.

The Pestilens players’ ball handling was again an issue on the second drive of the game. Madero Frustrado was charged with returning the kickoff, but it took him two tries to make the pickup. Again, the cats moved into enemy territory, with Davidson dodging down the line and Mackintosh encroaching from the opposite flank. Davidson was knocked down, but Mackintosh remained unmarked, and with the aid of guards Ewan Shaw and “Grey Kenny” Farquharson, he had an excellent chance to blitz Frustrado. He pulled up short, though, seemingly unwilling to touch the pestilent priest, and control passed back to the rats.

A timely blitz by McCalan broke the three-on-three deadlock near the carrier, and Frustrado was all alone on the flank. Mackintosh and Fenella MacIntyre closed in on him, but a second blitz attempt failed, as MacPherson was tripped up trying to pass the censer bearer for the blitz. Plague monk Jack Daniels knocked over MacIntyre, but was unable to set up the chainpush, and Frustrado had to dodge past Mackintosh in order to get further down the field. Meanwhile, Julitros Coldeale knocked himself out trying to sprint downfield and foul the werewolf MacLean.

With only two turns to go, time was of the essence, and Muriel Davidson sprinted nearly the width of the field to assist the block on Frustrado. This time, Mackintosh managed to collect himself and complete the blitz, and Frustrado was knocked out, ending the Pestuzillos’ chances of equalizing in time. MacPherson set out to collect the ball, but again tripped while dodging, forcing the turnover.

With not much to do but play defense, the Pestuzillos landed their hardest hit of the game, and only the apothecary’s intervention saved Lachlan MacLean from death at the scabby hands of Mocazo. Trialist Howard Truewing got knocked down trying to block Mungo MacThomas, though, and the rats failed to get a man on the ball. Still, with only one turn left and the closest Cats player nine squares away from the end zone, it was going to take some doing to get the TD.

The blitz to get Kenneth Farquharson free to receive the TD pass failed, with MacPherson seemingly disgusted by McCalan’s plague-ridden visage. Farquharson picked up the slack, though, dodging out and sprinting madly for the end zone. Meanwhile in the backcourt, Muriel Davidson retrieved the ball and made a risky handoff, finding Mackintosh in a tackle zone. From there, the play was relatively easy, as Mackintosh ran down the field well clear of the plagued rats, and completed a medium-length pass for the TD as time expired.

Going into the second half, things looked pretty good for the Cats: up 2-0, receiving the ball, with the opposing team’s best player out and no injuries of their own. This is Blood Bowl, though, where anything can happen. Sure enough, a remarkable series of events occurred in the first drive of the second half. Diarmid McQueen received the ball and charged into enemy territory. With four other Cats players blocking for him, he appeared fairly safe, but the team didn’t count on the opposing Censer Bearer pushing two plague monks into the blockers’ tackle zones. Cara Amarilla cleared out Farquharson, McCalan knocked down McQueen, and Madero Frustrado took the ball. The plague priest’s possession was short-lived, and Muriel Davidson swooped in to regain position, but when she tripped over her own feet and went down, the rats regained it. A risky pass from Coldeale to Mocazo succeeded, putting the ball beyond reach of the Cats, and for the third consecutive drive, the kicking team scored the touchdown.

Now up only 2-1, the pressure was on for the Cats to score their third TD and clinch the game. Ian MacPhail collected the onside kick and threw a lateral to Davidson, who handed it off to MacQueen. Again, an assortment of Cats players lined up on the flank to defend the ball, but again, the rats were able to get through. Frustrado knocked out MacGillivray, and Coldeale got a blitz on the ball carrier -- but couldn’t put him down. Sensing danger, Mungo MacThomas came roaring in, breaking Coldeale’s neck with a furious blitz. MacQueen ran laterally, then handed off to MacPherson as the Cats switched flanks. MacPherson, guarded by Farquharson and MacLean, was beyond reach of the rat defenders, and easily managed to run it in for the game-clinching TD.

With the game beyond doubt, the chittering Skaven crowd flooded onto the field, stunning MacPherson and MacLean in a fit of rage. Once play resumed, things didn’t get much better for the rats, as Mocazo failed to corral the kickoff and Charlie Mackintosh took the ball. Down to six men on the pitch, the Pestuzillos blitzed the ballcarrier, but McCalan only succeeded in knocking himself down, allowing Mackintosh to get on the board with a last-turn TD.

Following the 4-1 win, the Cats’ record improved to 8-2-2, while Pestuzillos dropped to 11-2-6. The Cats recorded their third consecutive win with 4 or more touchdowns, and extended their undefeated streak to 7 games. Muriel Davidson, who finished the game with a TD and a completed pass, was named the Cats’ MVP, while Caminatas (10 blocks) received the honor for the Skaven. Commentators remarked that the early injury to Flipau was a turning point in the game, robbing them of their best player and leaving them outnumbered for the duration of the game. They also pointed to the Cats’ more efficient blocking: Pestuzillos threw almost twice as many blocks as the opponent, but only recorded one casualty to the Cats’ three, and committed both of the game’s blocking-related turnovers.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Niramen

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2016 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

My opponent was really blessed by Khorne

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3821203

So the heavy armored seaelves got hard hits and it doesnt look like they will recover fast after that match.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2016 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

A TT friend of mine and I played a Four Nations mirror during the last six nations rugby tournament. It was great fun.
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I have two games with my Slayer team - Mortis Tarn Mayhem https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=847572 with a draw and a win.

My first match was against a Zoat team https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=848618 and it was a pretty evenly balanced match. The dice seemed pretty balanced and a draw was a fair result overall I think. I came out on on top in terms of casualties inflicted (despite having a player killed) and got a little lucky with a gfi dwarf TD. The Zoats seem pretty well balanced and my opponent played them well.

Just got a win against a Pirates of Sartosa team https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=847997 who were an interesting mix of players. A couple of tough Ogres mixed in with a useful Captain (their best player I think) and a mixture of Corsairs, Pirates and a rogue dwarf. Their coach played well but I was fortunate with my dice and by the end of the game they were down to 3 players - 8 cas in total including 2 dead and both Ogres out too. I targeted their AV7 pirates and Corsairs and that might be the weakspot of the Pirates team - they seemed pretty vulnerable and once they started dropping, they lost their advantage over the Slayers - i.e.mobility and it thus became more of a grinding type of game in the second half - which suits the Slayers better.

I do like my Slayer team - typical badass dwarfs but with a bit of variety and having 4 x Dauntless and 3x frenzy skills proved particularly useful in this last game. I was able to keep hitting the weak pirates and corsairs and tying up the Ogres so much that my opponent even tried to dodge with one to escape - which resulted in a failed dodge and SI. Only question mark is my doom seeker who only managed to knock down one of his own players before being blocked himself and KO'd this game - be interesting to see if I can get him performing.

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ten games in with Earth Elementals, and [SL] Grome's Gnomes are 7-1-2, with 14 TD for and 6 against, 26-7 Cas. We've won against Fire Elementals, Gnomes, Weres, Northern Nippon, Ethereal, Khorne, and a Water Elemental team that is still carrying an Incarnate Elemental of Earth (and Water, both). We've tied to an all-Slave Slaanesh team. We've lost to Earth Elementals (with a Water Incarnate and no Earth Incarnate) and Moulder (shudder). Both our losses were 0-1, and we had a chance in both games.

To keep this post from getting too long, I'll break the match recaps into two halves.

Game 1: London's Burning, Fire Elementals. Rookie coach with a hard team to play... but he did pretty well. I didn't score in the opening drive, partly on a snaked foul, partly because even Fire Elementals can be ferocious on defense, with 2 each SF and SS and a leaping Air Elemental who was quite the nuisance. But we got an Earth Elemental out, and the opponent made a silly pass when he could have handed off, and we got the ball under control and then we got our KO machine going, and it was all too much. We won 1-0. Record 1-0-0.

Game 2: Birkenbihl, Earth Elementals. A strange team, they had an Incarnate Elemental of Water (the 6538 version) but no Incarnate Elemental of Earth. Maybe I shouldn't have taken this game, they had a lot more skills on their menz than I did. I received first, and when one of my Earth Elementals got caught alone in the backfield, I played an Illegal Substitution. It wasn't enough, and I gave up a score. I wasn't able to advance in my half, and it was all I could do to prevent a second score by that broken Incarnate of Water. The second half was a midfield scrum along the north sideline that went absolutely nowhere. We lost 0-1. Record 1-0-1.

Game 3: Netherworld Nobodies, Slaanesh. An all-Slaves-to-Darkness outfit, this was a fun team to play against, in the rain. We received first and promptly drew a Blitz! result, leaving several Slaves in our backfield. We drew out their Apothecary early and kinda caged up, but we just couldn't keep them out. We finally got our cage downfield, but couldn't get it entirely out of contact: they popped the ball on turn 4 with some good dice, and managed to sprint away downfield for a score. We responded with a Perfect Defense in the second half, and mauled and maimed them for six turns (which is how long it took us to recover the punted ball and get it into the end zone; we didn't try to stall). There wasn't enough time left for us to run in a second score, and the Nobodies didn't have enough bodies left to score, so the game ended in a 1-1 tie. Record 1-1-1.

Game 4: Dorf Dork<, Gnome. This game was about KO rolls. The Gnomes used Stunty to good effect in the first half popping the ball free and stopping us from scoring. But the scrum they forced was not good for their low AV, and their KO rolls were terrible, so we just cleared them off the pitch on "their" drive and ran in a score. Their KOs were terrible again, so we ran in another score, for a 2-0 win. The opponent retired the team, even though they didn't take any lasting damage. We had to retire an Earth Elemental, who suffered a perm on a both-down result (the AV7 Stunty Gnome he was blocking was fine). Record 2-1-1.

Game 5: Midnight Monstars, Were. This was a pretty conventional 2-1 grind. Opponent won the toss, received, went for a speedy passing score, got it. Then they got a Blitz! and a favorable kick, and scooped the ball on the sidelines. We pinned down their sideline cage, but they broke free on a double-pow on a 1/2d block, then the carrier dodged into the open, only to fail a GFI and stun himself. We recovered the ball and got the score. Second half, the Weres were down to 7 men, and we took out their last wolf early in the half. They just laid down for the last quarter of the game as I walked in the TD for a 2-1 win. Record 3-1-1.

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2016 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Game 6: Legion Ladz, Clan Moulder. This team was crazy. They had tons of mutations and several Block players, not to mention a Claw/Juggernaut RO. They only had 11 men, with only 3 Rat Ogres, and though we did okay getting the ROs down, they tied up a lot of our effort and our armor rolls against them were mostly poor. We managed a scrum in the backfield, but they just scooped the ball with a Big Hand Slave. They got a cage going, and we couldn't get man-up on them, so we opted instead to let them score and try to damage their ROs. This drew out their Apothecary, but didn't do any damage. In the second half, we caged up at midfield. They got a RO on the ball, but we handed off and zipped downfield. I kinda had to expose my ST4 Water Elemental with the ball, and though he fought bravely, killing a Slave, he went down on a 1/2d blitz on turn 7. He was able to blitz the ball free, but failed the pickup, and the sun set on our chances. We lost 0-1. Record 3-1-2.

Game 7: Yoru No Akuma, Northern Nippon. This team had a MB Oni, and a good selection of rookie players. We were a little more developed, but that Oni could have been a real threat. He failed, utterly. The opponent received the first half, the Oni blitzed my Guard guy, didn't break armor, ended up in the zone of my ST4 Water Elemental, and promptly ate the team Apothecary, earning himself a trip to the reserves bin. The Nipponese got one of my linemen out, though, popping a hole to zip through for a quick score. In our return drive, we pinned the Oni down for the most part, and while there was a scrum over the ball in the backfield, we won it pretty quickly as we were able to commit more resources (thank you, Stand Firm). We scored on turn 8, despite an exciting (and rather lucky) Nipponese attack on the ball in the closing turns. The second half saw the Northern Nipponese team get retired, as we ground them mercilessly, niggling their Oni and killing a Sumo before winning 2-1. Record 4-1-2.

Game 8: [SL] Flow, Ethereal. We won the coin toss, opted to receive. We caged up as well as we could, and for a few turns it worked, but all that Leap, you know, it gets to you. We maimed their Syreen, but they popped the ball on turn 3, forced a scrum, MNG'ed my Fire Elemental. We won the scrum and got the ball back, but they managed to set up a 1d leaping blitz on the Earth Elemental carrying the ball, badly hurting him. This forced a new scrum, which we won in short order, thanks to their AV7, and walked in the ball on turn 8. All their Cas regenerated, except the Syreen, and all their KOs came back, so the second half we were man-down. They swarmed our backfield, and failed the pickup. We started getting men out right away, with a KO and a stun on turn 1. For four turns we fought in my backfield, while the ball and the intended carrier sat there next to each other; we couldn't get downfield, and they couldn't avoid turning over before trying the pickup. Finally, we got that ST4 Water Elemental (Undine Naiad) onto the ball, and, surviving a stab and a both down, it got the ball and got away to safety for the 2-0 win. Record 5-1-2.

Game 9: [SL] Kings of Metal, Khorne. They received first, spread out a two-pronged pattern, had some trouble getting the ball deep in their backfield. We responded by lining up on them and smashing, and they won the north side of the pitch while we won the south side; each of us lost a good player (a Khorne Warrior and an EE with Guard). We were able to pressure them into a turn 5 score. We caged up around the middle, they lined up on us, but Undine Naiad did what ST4 Water Elementals do, and broke free for the turn 8 score. In the second half, they got a Blitz! and put a bunch of men downfield. We managed to redirect the action with a handoff to our Air Elemental, and the play reversed, and then reversed again, getting my AE in the open with the ball for a T5 score. On the equalizing drive, we managed to hold them to a series of dodges (successful) and a long pass (failed), leaving us with the 2-1 win. Record 6-1-2.

Game 10: [SL] Great Barrier Reef Turtle, Water Elementals. These guys had a "grandfathered" (yes? no?) Incarnate Elemental of Earth. They opted to receive first, and promptly stunned their Fire Elemental blocking on the line. We forced a scrum at the LOS, and eventually managed to bounce the ball into our zone. They failed a fireball on us, letting us recover the ball, but forced another scrum anyway, which we won on turn 7 and walked in the score on turn 8. The second half, we kinda outmaneuvered them, and managed to sneak in the ball on turn 5 for a 2-0 lead. Bad line-blocking forced the opponent into shenanigans, and we intercepted the ball to prevent another score. Record 7-1-2.