27 coaches online • Server time: 07:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2016 - 07:16 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum thread is for anything relating to the

INAUGURAL SWL BOB BORC CUP

HouseKeeping:
  • Divisional Structure
    1 Big Random Draw - all teams go in, only One comes out!
  • Cup Commencement
    The Cup will commence on the 8th of August. First round is due on the 15th at 10pm SWL time.
  • Axing
    Games will be axed if not played by 10pm SWLtime Monday evenings. Include swladmin into your PM threads to avoid a coin toss!
  • General
    Please be aware that we rely on individual coaches to be active in checking this forum, arranging games against opponents (especially if not on east coast of Australia) and in communicating with Admins. The responsibility is on the coach to enquire, not the Admins to inform. Please feel free to ask any questions, anytime.
  • Trial of Blood
    There will be a trial for Season 66 during the Cup. Details to come.

Cup Rules:
  • Current SWL League Teams Only (including parked teams)
  • Cup rounds drawn randomly
  • All rounds will be a strict 1 week, no extension, from the Monday Night 10pm SWLtime deadline
  • Forfeits (if any) will be decided by the Axeman according to PM thread information, or by Coin Toss.
  • Normal scheduling rules apply except that you won’t know your next opponent until they play
  • Promotions and Relegations from last season (65) will not be affected and will apply for the next season (66) as usual
  • First round byes will be random, with drafting teams ineligible
  • The Cup is OPT OUT. If you do not wish to participate, please send a parking PM to Tomay by 10pm Friday 05/08/16.
  • Winner earns a spot on the URN team. If Winner already on Urn team, runner up gets spot.
  • Winner of the Cup will get 100,000 gold crowns added to their treasury.
  • Winner gets boasting rights as the Bob Borc Cup Champion until the next one is run. Plus no other coach will ever again be the first Bob Borc Cup winner. Legend!

Links:

Last edited by Luohghcra on %b %05, %2016 - %12:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2016 - 07:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Reserved

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2016 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Monday night axing?! :O

Finally, reserved for predictions cause that's the fashionable thing to do :p

Daudy's Cup Overview

Not quite there:

Mexican Standoff, High Elvis, Macabre Morticians, Office Rats, Bribery and Corruption, Blackwater Glee Club.

Most of these teams are either in recovery/building with a capable coach at the helm, missing a bit of depth or utility, or just whacky enough to maybe make a splash. Teams like the Standoff, High Elvis, and Office Rats have the ability to win one off games if things go right for them. The Morticians, Bribery and Corruption and the Glee Club can also win games, but I believe they all have the setup and the mentality to seriously impact the cup in other ways (even in a losing effort).

On the edge:

Griffon Gate Sentinels, Steaked, Asha'maniac, Autumn's leaves, Horrors of Skye, Port Macquarie Snowleopards, Compare the Meerkat, Urban Nightmare.

For the most part, these teams are healthy. These teams have utility. These teams are perfectly capable of beating anybody. However, a mixture of things including league performance mean that these teams have not quite fulfilled their potential. However, that's the beauty of a new season with a new format - your league form doesn't matter!

Most of these teams are pretty well balanced with the exception of Urban Nightmare who make their intent extremely clear. It's a hit or miss approach that doesn't usually pay off over the long run, but this is no marathon. Tomay's primary team (cheeky bugger has two in here!) the Meerkats look very good with some excellent rolls all around and a good coach behind them. However, as someone who has played a few Skaven games, I suspect the team is a bit too young and lacks a ready supporting cast (yes, they do need one). I don't think they're ready for more than one of the big boys (but certainly capable of stunning individuals if still in mint condition).

Contenders:

Daemon Ex Tesserae, Madness Mountain Misery, Eau de Toilet, Altered Perception, Dallas Drowboys

Now things are heating up! Very capable coaches, very capable teams. However, some small things are holding them back from being juicy favourites. I feel like both Nurgle teams are lacking a bit of guard which could be a bit of an issue against some of the strong hitters and positional rocks, but at the same time are naturally a bit of a slower team (though with some inbuilt anti-passing abilities). That said, Eau de Toilet has an unbelievable amount of +MA and Madness Mountain Misery has 4 (!) blodgers which give them an interesting dynamic.

Daemon Ex Tesserae just have that X factor, and I have a good feeling about them. I am concerned about their depth though, and I feel like they're one or two bad av7 rolls away from implosion. A real make it or break it team in the Cup.

That brings us to Altered Perception who just came away with a close win against the Sphinxes. Grod's team look miserable, but he's got cash to replace some players if deemed appropriate and journeymen yet to be hired (shrewdly waiting for the draw I'd imagine). Altered Perception have some wicked positionals and one of the best minds in SWL behind them, but a lot of how their cup goes will depend on who their next matchup is. Will they be able to hold back the tide and come back to full strength for later stages, or will Grod's touch not be enough to navigate these difficult waters?

Juicy Favourites:

Wäŋa Warriors, SWL Fun Police, Slumbering Skink

I think I predicted the Fun Police to make serious waves ages ago and they haven't quite done so as of yet. I'm sticking to my guns and putting them as one of the juicy favourites. It's taken longer than expected, but I think coach Semitence is getting in the Nurgle zone making the best of ma4 and 5 with a nice little current undefeated streak. The Fun Police's strengths are potentially huge problems for the other two juicy favourites, but I feel like they may also be the most vulnerable to SES (Shifty Elf S@#t). Fortunately for them, where a draw due to SES is a big deal in the context of a league season, this format brings overtime and time for the Fun Police to spread the cheer.

It was by the thinnest of margins, but you have to include the uber-consistent and recently crowned three-peat champs Slumbering Skink as a juicy favourite. It's not even just the Prem wins, but the Skinks have just not lost games very often in recent times (only 2 losses, both last season in the last three seasons). One has to wonder if it's the lack of Oldbugman type enforcers or the inability of the Fun Police to have a consistent crack at them that has allowed the Skinks to thrive in this environment. Regardless, they've still been battered and found a way to win when they need to. Well deserved favourites, but they'll have to watch out for the very possible danger of one-eyed teams like Urban Nightmare that would usually rarely make it high enough in the league to spread the warm blossoming embrace of mass bloodshed.

What can I say, I'm a big fan of DDS's PR machine. I didn't really rate them when I was still active but the Warriors have put some great performances in and remained healthy. I think their line up will comfortably give them the upper hand against other slower teams, barring freak clawpomb dice. DDS has found his niche and his previously very inconsistent record has become a very good one in the lead up to his Prem win and since. A very hot chance to win it all if he doesn't get SES'd or run into the Skinks. Guard is God.

Pale, bare chested, not-so-dark horses:

Wonga Wonga Whalekillers

Go inside a stone
That would be my way.
Let somebody else become a dove
Or gnash with a tiger’s tooth.
I am happy to be a stone.

The epitome of consistency fell on hard times not too long ago and recent league form has been uninspiring. However, they're healthy and I believe. I believe in Nilsson. But does B2k want it?

The Rest

Apologies for not mentioning everyone, no disrespect intended. Everyone still in it is... well, still in it. Regardless of the odds, they're there to be beaten.

Last edited by Daudy on %b %12, %2016 - %01:%Aug; edited 5 times in total
Tomay

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2016 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Reserved

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2016 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't suppose there will be a live draw?
oozeboss

Post 18 Posted: Aug 06, 2016 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Semitence wrote:
I don't suppose there will be a live draw?

That would disadvantage Vampires, Khemri & Necro teams, so a live draw suits me fine.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2016 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The Alphas
Wäŋa Warriors and Slumbering Skink have the rest of the competition quivering in fear. Finishing equal in points last season, the Skinks added an impressive third title in a row. The Warriors had the title before that, hardly as impressive, but their side is certainly in better shape than the Skinks. Both sides have a heavy reliance on one player, but it has worked for them so far.

The Contenders
Mexican Standoff, Steaked, Altered Perception, Griffon Gate Sentinels Autumn's leaves and Daemon Ex Tesserae are the central components of the SWL elvish revival of late. Psych Lab adds their speed to this list. The format will suit them all as they are high risk, high reward, and one can easily see any of these sides getting one or two gifts from nuffle and using it to take the tournament.

The Best of the Rest
Madness Mountain Misery has Mr Foulscumm and a lot of dirty player, Asha'maniac still has his hardcore +st dwarves, Eau de Toilet TV is beastly, Sotek Sacred Spawning has a +ag skink of his own, Blackwater Glee Club has a lot of leap... wait, what?

My Pick Is
SWL Fun Police! I think it is their time. They are looking good. This format will suit them, allowing them to play for the draw and win overtime with their numbers. I feel bad for any reggies side that get them straight up. They will slide into the final rounds in top shape.

Here we go!

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Daudy

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

PSA is back tonight at about 8pm against Sotek. Tussock's bookies have PSA as 2-1 favourites, so this is everyone's opportunity to make loads on underdog betting :p

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Southern Warpstone Scavengers game against the Port Macquarie Snowleopards is due to be played form 7:30pm on Friday night for anyone that wants to see some stunty on elf action.

If it is anything like the last time we played it is going to be a long game for the Scavs.

If you're interested join the Fringe
Semitence

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Fun Police
V
Head-On Colliders

8pm Wednesday (tonight)
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

C*A*S vs Urban Nightmare 9pm tonight!

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 09:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Freezy Trees
v
Dallas Drowboys

in about 10 minutes
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

My Fellow Coaches Smile

Just a request re PMs for scheduling.

Please do not just write: "When you free?"

Please provide: Days and Times that you are normally available and inquire if the opponent finds any of these suitable?

As the opponent: Please advise either Yes this time suits... or advise those times are tough and make a counter proposal with Days and Times.

Hopefully this will greatly assist everyone to schedule games early and avoid unnecessary forfeits.

Cheers Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Announcement !!

The intention for the Bob Borc Cup was to run as a Randomly seeded King of the Hill tournament.

Unfortunately it reverts to a seeded draw (ie top half play vs bottom half on TV) after round 1.

To mitigate this a live draw will be done in #swl on Monday night 22:00 to assign opponents.

Lots of dice rolling and hilarity will be the order of the day.

Come along and watch if you like. All decisions are final. No bribes will be accepted. (Probably)

Semitence

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2016 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

D_Arquebus wrote:
My Fellow Coaches Smile

Just a request re PMs for scheduling.

Please do not just write: "When you free?"

Please provide: Days and Times that you are normally available and inquire if the opponent finds any of these suitable?

As the opponent: Please advise either Yes this time suits... or advise those times are tough and make a counter proposal with Days and Times.

Hopefully this will greatly assist everyone to schedule games early and avoid unnecessary forfeits.

Cheers Smile

This, 1000x this.
 Jump to: