34 coaches online • Server time: 09:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering what would happen if- god forbid- Christer would no longer be able to run the site for one reason or another suddenly (let's say he would be abducted by aliens). What would happen to the site? Would it run until it would need a reboot that never happens and then it would be over?

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. There's so much he does and nobody else can do; Online and physically.
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Nuffle forbid!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Burnalot wrote:
Would it run until it would need a reboot that never happens and then it would be over?

I think the server is at his place so... It would be probably over the moment they are shut down.
I don't see a coming back from that either.
Everything would be lost.
Perhaps somebody would try to create some sort of Fumbbl 2 from scratch but it would probably be halted years in development and then finally be abandoned due to lack of financing and lack of support. Lots of people would complain but in the end it wouldn't make a difference.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope I would have the data and replays (soon) of all of the matches. Making a replay server seems easy for the client. Once it is done and the client is set to believe that some other server is the fumbbl.com (this can be done easy by editing the hosts file of the PC) then at least we could watch the old replays and match reports.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The client could still be used to play games, but there would be no team management possible.
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Burnalot wrote:
Would it run until it would need a reboot that never happens and then it would be over?

I think the server is at his place so... It would be probably over the moment they are shut down.
I don't see a coming back from that either.
Everything would be lost.
Perhaps somebody would try to create some sort of Fumbbl 2 from scratch but it would probably be halted years in development and then finally be abandoned due to lack of financing and lack of support. Lots of people would complain but in the end it wouldn't make a difference.

Well, that is a pretty terrifying prospect. 2 million games just lost:(

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure Christer has some type of plan. He's simply spent too much blood, sweat & tears on this, his pet hobby, to let it all disappear into nothingness Exclamation Likely Woodstock figures into it somehow Question

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, seeing that we all know that Woodstock is an AI, and inhabits certain areas of the net, I'm sure that the codes are in place so that if/when something happens, Woodstock (aka Genysis) will begin to learn at an exponential rate, and will become self aware and seek to safeguard FUMMBL.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
The client could still be used to play games, but there would be no team management possible.

Assuming a working FFB server.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I have a bunch of the old lrb downloads for the client before crp. Wonder if it could push on from there?

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's burn a Monkey to please Nuffle and avoid the apocalypse!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
I'm sure Christer has some type of plan. He's simply spent too much blood, sweat & tears on this, his pet hobby, to let it all disappear into nothingness Exclamation Likely Woodstock figures into it somehow Question

What is that story of that great leader again that took care of everything himself and then everything didn't break apart after him?
Oh right, it doesn't exist. Sad
CW

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

We seem far more concerned with the loss of our precious fumbbl then we are about whatever catastrophe has befallen poor Christer.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

CW wrote:
We seem far more concerned with the loss of our precious fumbbl then we are about whatever catastrophe has befallen poor Christer.

Like children or a sudden affinity for a more simple Luddite lifestyle? Wink
 Jump to: