46 coaches online • Server time: 23:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Keothi

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2016 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I misread - thought your post said he needed 15 SPP to make Legend and you only scored 11.
But the slacker is only on 142 SPP!
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2017 - 05:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Southside Stone Smashers Conference LXVII

Back down to Conferences for the New Year, a bit of a downer, very keen to get back up with the big boys.

Who do I have to beat to get there? :

Image Port Macquarie Snowleopards (TW1820)
Image Domestic Blitz (TW1730)
Image Office Rats (TV1770)
Image Madness Mountain Misery (TW2060)
Image Griffon Gate Sentinels (TW1840)
Image Chaos All Sorts (TW2260)
Image Steaked (TW1850)

A really nice mix of races, and coaches. Prem isn't impossible but it will be a challenge. Happy that I'll be playing two of SWL's more experienced teams for the first time (C.A.S. and Steaked), happy to tick Zons off the list as well, and happy to continue my unbeaten rivalry with those dirty fouling High Elves.

Season goals:

1) Win the Conference
2) Don't lose to the GGS!
3) Win a game 3-0 (done it twice in the Reggies, never in Conf)
4) Win an individual player award
5) Kill or force into retirement a Star (>50 spp) not including one of my own!
6) Retire one or both of the big two (Lorax and Clark)*
7) Have the next three survive the season unscathed (Gox, Old Fish and New Fish)
8 ) Start a game at >2000k TV. Never done it with this team
9) Beat the Dark Elves and Amazons (two races the Trees have never beaten before)
10) Get a Stat increase on a player (68 games and only 2 stat increases. Come on Nuffle, show me some love)

* Yes they're broken, but this may be the hardest goal to achieve. I might need some help with this, and I'm sure the conference holds a few willing volunteers.
Dlock

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2017 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Its the fouling you do that causes you not to get stat increases, Nuffle does not like fouling - well, he does, but only against bash teams - leave elves alone and you'll see plenty of stats...

- D
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2017 - 20:10
FUMBBL Staff

Game 1: pyate16's Wood Elf "Port Macquarie Snowleopards" Image

Death Zone 1 wrote:
Re-Drafting
While many players are eager to return to the pitch when the new season comes about, others may find their priorities changing during the off-season....

It has become abundantly clear to me that Clark 'Wants to Retire'. I've even made it a season goal (see previous post). In the game against the Snowleopards, Clark placed a revolver in my hand, directed it to his temple, gave me a desperate look deep into my eyes, and said the most profound thing.... "roar".

But no! I won't do it! Despite the two double skulls and the roaring blocks, I'm sure there's another great game left in the big cuddly beast. And boy does the opposition just love to cuddle Clark. His Av6 has them crowding around to get in that 2D punch.

It wasn't just Clark though. The whole team was rusty after the holiday break. Over half my blocks had mighty blow behind them, and I couldn't hurt a single Wood Elf. This game had me feeling like I do when I bring my Box goblins to the table. However, all I need do is go back and read the last few lines of my previous game against the Snowleopards. Nuffle loves me, I just need to remind my team that they do too.

1-3
(my 200th loss on FUMBBL)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2017 - 01:50
FUMBBL Staff

Game 2: Luohghcra's Amazon "Domestic Blitz" Image

These girls have won all of the 8 games so far since entering the SWL competition. It was going to be a tough match. Not only was Clark on notice after his last display, but the Blitz made it a "Renovation goal" to "Demolish poor Clarky"

And to help with this Goal they brought Zara. It seems that everyone loves the Av6 Big Guy

Five stabs at the lovable Clark, and none penetrated his thick luscious fur. Not one. Chuck in the one block (of three) that knocked him over and the odds of none of this breaking his armour is only 0.5%!

It's easy to get distracted by dice aberrations like this. I love them. Yes a 1 in 200 event is cool, but in a game where nearly 500 dice are rolled - if you slice and dice and categorise you should always be able to find a few oddities.

In their first two games of the season for instance, the Trees have not rolled a 10+ in 31 injury rolls (odds = 0.3%). Useless buggers! Blame the players not the dice - much more fun that way.

So apart from Clark the impenetrable pin cushion, what else happened?
Gox the other Ulf scored a T8 TD - yay!
Gox got killed - boo!
Apo worked - yay!
The ball never made it out of my territory in the 2nd half - boo!
Old Fish sacked the ball carrier on T16 [POW] - yay!
Old Fish then had his ankle smashed (-ma) - boo!
Trees win 1-0 - YAY! Very Happy
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2017 - 06:17
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: DDAmAge112's Skaven "Office Rats" Image

SWL Commish wrote:
IMPORTANT: SWL will be utilising one change to the rules released last year - the Optional PO rule. At this stage, we are looking at removing PO from the SWL ruleset in season 69 (after the Bob Borc Cup). This change will remain in effect until such time as FUMBBL updates to the new ruleset, when it will be reviewed and changed if necessary.

Little Cat B started the season on 28spp. The plan was get him to Emerging Star in Round 1, grab him some POMB power and don't expect him to live longer than 2 seasons more before the rule change. Well, Round 1 saw the whole team fail to Cas. Round 2, the berserker had a shocker, but got the MVP he needed. Round 3, was time to test the POMB I haven't had on the team since Thing One (pixel sadness!).

First block of the game Little Cat B roars in, risks a 2nd frenzy block gfi, and... Dead Gutter Runner, apo, Dead Gutter Runner! OK, the Piling On wasn't needed, but it's given him a psychological edge turning him into a killer.

Inspired, Clark knocked over and stunned the ROgre, who was promptly stomped off the field Badly Hurt.

From the start this game had the feel of one that'd be a bloody romp. Clark the pincushion last game, felt the attention of Skaven boots. Twice stunned, twice the Ref sent his admirers packing.

Season goal, first 3-0 win above Reggies level ticked off thanks to a last turn intercept. Games against DDAmAge are always a good laugh, taking even this whipping in good spirits.

And Lorax took sole lead in the Ulf Race Very Happy
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 02:51
FUMBBL Staff

Game 4: DustBunny's Nurgle "Madness Mountain Misery" Image

The only true "Rock" team in the conference (though Pact look pretty nasty) - I hate Rock. This is my third encounter with the Madness, 1 loss, 1 win, and now... he has a S6 Beast! I really didn't fancy my chances in this one, hopes resting heavily on a big bench (14 players, not as many as his 16) and a wizard.

Almost everyone thinks I should fire Clark. He paid two brief visits to the KO bin in this game, but he did take two Nurgle Warriors off the pitch. He is damaged, but he is one of the few effective weapons against bash, either as a Claw or a decoy.

A few people think I should fire Lorax too. With Ma5 he's really just a glorified and expensive Chaos Warrior with lower armour. I received in the first drive, and it didn't take long for Nurgle to put me on the back foot, sandwich me on the sideline and take the ball from Lorax. Forced to use the wizard, the lightning was a fizzer. The great Ulf stood up and frenzy pushed the Pestigor ball carrier into Old Fish, who wrestled him to the ground. But it still looked pretty grim at the start of my next turn (Turn 5)

After a bit of punching by his team mates, Lorax collected the ball and ran. Ma5! GO! Outrunning everyone, nobody even laid a hand on him. Cantering in for his 31st TD.

Second half was a bit less eventful, Nurgle scores. Perfect defence pretty much scuttled my attempt to win it. Except... Lorax! On the sideline next to the Beast and the ball. The rerolled dauntless blitz by Old Fish failed to take down the tentacled S6 one. Hopeless? Not quite....
Lorax pass action. Tentacles (8+) [6][2], Dodge into TZ (3+ with BT)) [3], Pickup (4+ in TZ) [1], Sure hands [5].. and the big one Pass (TZ DP short 6+) [5], inaccurate, scattered the wrong way.

1-1 draw. Wizard didn't help, ref did.
Foad

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2017 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorax & Clark *are* the Trees!!!

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 19:24
FUMBBL Staff

Game 5: cdwat's High Elf "Griffon Gate Sentinels" Image
High Elves, the bread and butter race for the Freezy Trees, 4/3/0. And the Geegees, our main rival. They've made their own season goal list (I ripped off their Faction idea, so it's only fair Razz), and the Trees feature in a LOT of their targets.

With a record like that what could possibly go wrong? A wizard and Ag5. A nasty combination very hard to counter. The fireball took out the ball carrier and the yeti cage corner (2/3 players down). And just like that, halftime 0-2 down.

So I went to bed at 1am (bloody Aussie timezone!), grumpy and tired with a 1-2 loss. It was a fun game but really I felt it was one of those hopeless ones. He never blocked my ball carrier, never forced Lorax to dodge, or even go for it in the entire game. Had me pondering if maybe I need a stronger high TV race, or if stat rolls are what's necessary to succeed. Yep grumpy.

But League is where you get specs! I counted 8 at the peak of our game. And specs like nothing more than to "helpfully" show you where you went wrong. Bastards! Very Happy

After the fireball:

Feeling hopeless I ran sidestepper New Fish up hemming the catcher against the sideline. Wishing for snake eyes, and pining for the day when he has diving tackle.
Yes, I'm a muppet. Chainpush would have got me one step closer and I could've surfed him.

So how do I feel now? A bit stupid? Definitely (more than a bit). But the disheartened feeling has completely dissipated. I may be an average coach with an average team, but there's plenty of room to get better! No need to go Easy Mode, nor to sacrifice my first born to Nuffle to get stat ups. There's hope!

---

Also, Gox skilled up! Norse turnover is too high to customise every player portrait (33 past players in 73 games). So I wait until they either get a player award (like Sally's Boot <sigh>). or reach Stardom (51spp). Gox is only the 6th star the Trees have had. Guess I'm just no good at farming - got him there on a farmed TD though Very Happy
Dlock

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2017 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

With my team, player gets portrait when it get skill and the survives until the end of season. With AV7, you run out of pictures fast otherwise...
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2017 - 20:30
FUMBBL Staff

Game 6: D_Arquebus's Chaos Pact "Chaos All Sorts" Image

Norse are Tier 1. This is what coach D_Arquebus maintains. His Pact have a better record than my Norse, therefore he is a far superior coach.

This may be true, but Norse are fragile, and at high TV everyone has block anyway and Norse still have Av7.

So who's right? If the Trees win D_Arquebus is right, Norse is better. If the All Sorts win, I'm right and Norse have it tough at high TV.

All Sorts win - I'm right Very Happy
All Sorts win - I lose Sad

I did maim a couple of players though \o/

0-1 (0/2/0 - 2/3/1)

---

74 games. With around 50 coaches doing the rounds in SWL you'd think I'd have crossed paths with all the veterans by now. This was my first game against the All Sorts (62 games). Next game I get Jev's Dark Elves for the first time (88 games). Then I think there is only one active 50+ team left who I haven't played, tussock's Goblins (never faced goblins). If I lose to Jev maybe I'll see tussock in the Reggies. Or maybe I'll pass him on the way down as he ascends to Conf.
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2017 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Not exactly how I'd characterise our exchange... Razz

I was simply replying to your claims of Prem membership making Freezy Trees superior by pointing out that making Prem with Norse has been done... and to great effect in the past...

That the only Pact to have made it once had only 3 wins and a bunch of forfeits, and the other time admittedly got there, but to ill effect. Plus had a worse record then my boys.

And that my Pact have a better individual record then your Norse.

Individual conclusions you may have drawn; "therefore he is a far superior coach" are entirely your own. And thank you, I'm blushing Wink Razz

Cheers Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2017 - 11:04
FUMBBL Staff

Game 7: Jevouse's Dark Elf "Steaked" Image

I love the threat of relegation! It really gives those at the bottom of the table something to play for as the season end draws near. And coming into this game I'm right at the foot of the table. Despite a not terrible record of 2-1-3, I'm last equal with the Pact - who are ahead of me on h2h.

Lose and I'm in Reggies, win or draw and it's the All Sorts that go down. No pressure Smile

I don't think I'd ever fretted over an inducement decision as much as I did going into this match. Without shopping for new players I was 140k above the Dark Elves. Any purchases could see a wizard, and after the Sentinels' wizard pretty much won them the game in round 5 I was very wary of this happening. But without shopping I only have 11 players, and with Av7 the numbers could really tip his way and then even battling for a draw would be tricky.

Some wise souls suggested I fire Clark, hire replacements and get my own wizard. Sacrilege!

I went shopping, bought two linemen. There was no wizard, a wandering apo and a Merc Witch instead. All that fretting for nowt.

As for a match report. Not much to say really

Little Cat B ran amok. 5 Cas. Single handedly put 4 players in the serious injury ward (mostly loners), and killed a Star (apoed to Badly Hurt).

Two Dark Elf players were left standing at the end as Lorax cantered in for the final TD of a 2-1 victory.

10spp was enough to make Little Cat B a Star in his own right. Portrait time:

-----

So after looking likely to drop to Reggies, the Freezy Trees ended with a respectable 3-1-3 record and finished 4th in the conference.

Season goals review:

1) Win the Conference FAIL
2) Don't lose to the GGS! FAIL
3) Win a game 3-0 (done it twice in the Reggies, never in Conf) SUCCESS!!!
4) Win an individual player award FAIL
5) Kill or force into retirement a Star (>50 spp) not including one of my own! FAIL
6) Retire one or both of the big two (Lorax and Clark) FAIL
7) Have the next three survive the season unscathed (Gox, Old Fish and New Fish) FAIL (-MA on Old Fish)
8 ) Start a game at >2000k TV. Never done it with this team SUCCESS!!! Round 6
9) Beat the Dark Elves and Amazons (two races the Trees have never beaten before) SUCCESS!!!
10) Get a Stat increase on a player (68 games and only 2 stat increases. Come on Nuffle, show me some love) FAIL now 75 games

3/10, nothing new there Very Happy
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2017 - 20:39
FUMBBL Staff

Dhingo Initiative Conference LXVIII

After a tense finish, I avoided the spoon and so am in Conferences for another season. It seems all that stress was unnecessary as due to a league restructure nobody got relegated - made it exciting at the time though. Personally I love the threat of relegation and think there should always be both a carrot (promotion) as well as a stick (Reggies).

So another crack at getting back to prem. Who do I have to beat to get there? :

Image Horrors of Skye (TV2060)
Image Compare the Meerkat (TV1950)
Image Easy Mode Maniacs (TV1770)
Image Office Rats (TV1620)
Image Cult of Monroe (TW1480)
Image Styx and Warpstones (TV1690)
Image SWL Fun Police (TW1960)

So at the start of the season I am the highest TV team at 2070k. Not quite accurate as the monster Nurgle have a mng or two.

Season goals:

1) Win the Conference
2) Don't lose to the Fun Police or Horrors (Wastepac faction rivals)
3) Beat Monroe, Styx and Easy Mode (fresh from Reggies)
4) Win an individual player award
5) Kill or force into retirement a Star (>50 spp) not including one of my own!
6) Retire Clark
7) End the season with 6 stars (>50 SPP) on the roster
8) Score a one turn touchdown
9) Get a Cas with a Team RR Piling On
10) Get a Stat increase on a player (75 games and only 2 stat increases. Come on Nuffle, show me some love)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2017 - 09:26
FUMBBL Staff

Dhingo Initiative Conference LXVIII
Game 1: JoeKano's Necromantic Horrors "Horrors Of Skye" Image

The new rules haven't fully hit SWL yet. No Expensive Mistakes, Inducements still calculated the old way. Even so, Joe decided to give petty cash inducement buying a go, getting a card and Hack Enslash. This in turn gave me two Babes and Boomer.

Initially it looked like the cash splurge paid off. Hack had a great half, getting 3 blocks in and 3 fouls. Niggled the badly broken Yeti, I guess I'm a pixel hugger, I apoed him. By Turn 8 I only had 5 players left on the pitch, and the Horrors strolled in for a 1-0 lead.

Babes brought everyone back, Hack got banned, but the ref took pity on Boomer. Then it was my turn. One rule that has changed is Piling On, who needs it?, not Little Cat B. He continued his rampage from last season and scored two cas. Despite me being up on numbers, Joe put good pressure on and I needed to score Turn 12. 1-1

The Horrors set up with 8 positionals (no zombies left), I had 11. So far our fortunes had been pretty even, we had 1 good drive each, what would Nuffle give us in the last? Mayhem.

Turn 15 Elf Ball: Lorax runs to a spilled ball passes it, inaccurate, bounces to New Fish, catch, run, gfi, one more gfi for a TD, fails, into the crowd, hurled back, ghoul collects, werewolf runs deep, hail mary, into crowd, hurled forward, Lorax collects, throws to New Fish in the End Zone....

Ball travelled about 60 squares in three turns:

Ok, maybe Elf Ball was the wrong term.
1-1 draw

----

A new Star!

New Fish may look a bit of a dopey blonde, but certainly not with the skill he just rolled. Agility!!!! Very Happy
 Jump to: