26 coaches online • Server time: 02:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 00:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 6: Semitence's Norse "Sun's out, Guns out!"Image

Two BOrcs and a Troll down, up against the current champion, a very TV efficient Norse team. At least in our current state we wouldn't be facing any megastars.

Usual Luckers Plan A, destroy:

A journeyman goblin gets the first knockdown at the end of Turn 2. Luck does have a habit of evening out over time.

Idiocy however....

Who needs to break a cage if a greedy cage corner gets himself sent off? Speedy blodger collects the ball and is away.
Idiocy doesn't tend to even out. Not many idiots in Prem, and there'll be one fewer there next season.

Full time: 0-2 (2/1/0 - 3/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2023 - 00:08
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVI Premier
Round 7: BeefyGoodness's Khemri "Malapropisms Relieved"Image

Six weeks since this match happened and such an important one too! Beefy's team was on the verge of something spectacular, the first SWL Khemri champion. They just needed to do better than the Norse team that sat a solitary point above them on the table. I'd be pretty chuffed to see that happen... except, that might just grant me the wooden spoon. Sure the Prem wooden spoon is a better crafted piece of cutlery than what they serve in the Reggies, more polished than the ones gifted to those at the bottom of the Conferences. However, I really REALLY didn't want it. I've never "won" a spoon in all my days in SWL, and I didn't want to start now.

Like Beefy one point below the top, I sat one point above the bottom. The GG's needed to do better than the Orc's below them.

First Half, Bomber and boots wrought havoc. The tomb kings had speed in a MA7 thro-ra, and made a break on T7. No rerolls, meant a desperate 4+ dodge was required....
The sploosh foul was a nice surprise, avoiding needing to go for it.

Half Time 0-0

Second Half, those hulking s5 monsters really put the pressure on. T13, the speedy goblin lost his patience and his nerve and ran. Trust in blodge. Like the sack on the first half, the defence was out of rerolls, desperate 4+ dodge required again...
... except it wasn't. Break tackle means an easier 3+, plus tackle didn't help.

Full Time: 0-0 (0/1/0 - 2/1/0)

The Orcs also scored a draw, meaning the GGs efforts were enough to avoid the spoon. 1/2/4, still our worst season so far. Hot on the heels of last season's 6/0/1 too. Prem is hard.

And the Tomb Kings? Sadly the Norse won their last outing. So our BOrcs at least didn't ruin anything. Back to the conferences for the Luckers.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2023 - 06:55
FUMBBL Staff

After quite a gap we have a new SWL season. So what filled the gap? It seems that 5 seasons between the end of the summer break and Christmas is a bit squashed, so a Bob Borc Cup replaced a regular season. 3 rounds of pool matches, followed by up to 4 rounds of knockouts... or if you stumble, up to 3 rounds of swiss. The grand prize for the winner, was a place in Prem.

To qualify for the playoffs you had to make the top-16, sadly only 18 showed up for this festival event. All 7 teams who'd already qualified for Prem were put on ice. All the GGs had to do to avoid the humiliation of failing to qualify was to not come last in the pool.

1-1 Draw against Underworld
1-1 Draw against Halflings
1-1 Draw against Orcs

How's that for consistency?

Through to the final 16. Of course another 1-1 Draw, this time vs fellow BOrcs. Overtime, 1-2 :(

The filler games felt a bit like friendlies. Nothing much riding on them.

2-1 Win over Halflings
3-0 Win over Orcs

2/3/1, or 2/4/0 if we ignore overtime. I think we'll ignore overtime. Not a terrible result overall.

=====

SWL XCVII Borgan Bollinger Conference

But we're very happy to be back in a normal SWL season. Named after Borgan Bollinger a Legend Orc Thrower, maybe I should up my passing game.

Who stands between the GGs and promotion back to Prem?

Image Killer Heelz (1460k, 22/16/23 = 49% win rate) Reggiesson
Image Ugg’s Eleven (1530k, 9/2/3 = 71% win rate) Kransky
Image Isilmë Bombers (1420k, 7/4/14 = 36% win rate) Mathfuric
Image Perfectionists Of Excess (1350k, 5/3/6 = 46% win rate) Foffa
Image We Come From A Land Up Over (1300k, 9/5/9 = 50% win rate) The_Demon
Image Kapitol Krushers (1440k, 18/11/9 = 62% win rate) almic85
Image U'zhul's Collectors (1600k, 7/5/7 = 50% win rate) GreySquirrel

A nice mix of races as is always the case in SWL. The line up last season started with 5 Prem titles across the teams, and 22 Prem titles across the coaches. I believe this conference contains none of either. Probably where the Luckers belong.

Image GG Luckers (1390k, 28/16/18 = 58% win rate), ramchop
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2023 - 03:49
FUMBBL Staff

Round 1: Reggiesson's Khemri "Killer Heelz"Image

The GGs have had quite a good record against the Heelz, two 2-0 victories. They had us worried this time with their mighty blow tackler and our lack of a bench. Turn 1 - Stomp!, mighty blow tackler dead apo'ed still gone! A good trade for the sent off stomper.

Towards the end of the drive the slow rumbling GG's felt they needed to get the ball into the hands of the MA8 speedster. Handoff into the cage. Failed catch, rr, fail. Ball bounced into two tacklezones, but the Delves swooped with an uphill block to cut it to 1TZ, then ran away with it.

Things looked bad. Accurate runner in the clear. Dribblesnot dodge to mark, MA8 goblin to gfi twice for a 1D hit. Dump off fail, phew!

Half time 0-0

DElf drive. A failed dodge gave the Luckers an early shot at the ball

Apo on that niggled goblin was a risk, but I really didn't want to be even further down on numbers. Thankfully the apo worked, which allowed the block goblin to be around for this key moment....

Full Time: 1-1 (1/0/0 - 1/1/0)

I was moderately tilted in this game: 55 blocks to 20, cas 1 to 2. And that cas didn't come until the 53rd block.
However, looking back it was my unnecessary 3+ failed first half handoff that put the GGs in danger. And that T16 play turned a probable draw that felt like a loss, into an actual draw that felt like a win.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2023 - 07:34
FUMBBL Staff

Round 2: Kransky's Ogres "Ugg’s Eleven"Image

Look at this loathsome creature!
In a mere 15 games he'd amassed 74 spp. Enough for four chosen doubles.

First drive Ogres receive, and Captain Ugg is determined to put pressure on Bomber Dribblesnot. Unfortunately a gnoblar sneaks through and prevents a 2D blitz on the beast with Onslow, the GG's only Tackler.

So let's 1D push him to Onslow. BOrc Turn 1...

That foul was the most beautiful moment of the match. Sadly made ugly by an apothecary, who brought him back from the badly hurt.

Without Ugg on the pitch and the ball deep backfield in gnoblar hands. The GGs speedy block goblins sprung into action, scoring on turn 5. Ugg was held at bay, and the Luckers entered the second half 1-0 up and receiving. What could possibly go wrong?

Ogres are meant to be a bad team. However, when they only fail 1 in 12 bonehead rolls, they can be very, very dangerous.

As early as Turn 2 of the game:
<Kransky> Your goblin armour has been tough

Yeah okay, how did it look by Turn 16?.....

Full Time: 1-1 (1/1/0 - 3/2/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2023 - 08:11
FUMBBL Staff

Round 3: Mathfuric's Elves "Isilmë Bombers"Image

Turn 1, GGs receive deep and are put under immediate pressure by the speed of the Elves. Dodgy goblin gets into the relative safety of a BOrc cage.

Elf Turn 7: Damn those elves and their pesky 5+ cage dodging!

Hooray for the BOrc agility game! 4+ catch

Halftime 1-0

Elf Turn 10: Damn those elves and their pesky Nerves of Steel!

Hooray for the BOrc agility game! 6+ passing interference. Batted into the crowd.

Zero Cas! Who said BOrcs can't win without causing damage?

Knockouts help

Full time: 2-0 (0/0/0 - 0/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2023 - 11:38
FUMBBL Staff

Round 4: Foffa's Chaos "Perfectionists Of Excess"Image

First half, these chaos didn't seem too concerned about the ball. While my goblin sat safely one step short of the endzone, they relentlessly pummeled the rest of my team.

Despite the pummeling the GGs got off pretty lightly. One badly hurt Block BOrc (apo'ed), and a mng Block Guard. In the few turns after scoring a Guard was hurt, the apo'ed Blocker was KO'ed and a Guard Blocker was also KO'ed

Half Time 1-0

Second half started missing 3 BOrcs and Bomber. An unskilled goat had the ball. So it was up to a pair of block goblins to try some uphill magic. I have two of them, I guess I can afford to lose one

Turn 11: First attempt Image Image. Wasn't brave enough to reroll it though.

Turn 12: Second attempt Image Image No brave reroll required

The Chaos didn't seem to like this goblin harrassment, and scored quickly after. The Luckers had 4 turns to win the match.

9 Luckers vs 9 Chaos. A movement 8 sure footed goblin is a wonderful thing.

Full Time: 2-1 (2/0/0 - 3/2/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2023 - 01:48
FUMBBL Staff

Round 5: The_Demon's Chaos Pact "We Come From A Land Up Over"Image

1-0 up half time, but then how does a bunch of weak goblins and slow BOrcs deal with a character like this guy?

This is one way:

If we'd managed to pick that ball up then it'd have been all over. A nice win for the GGs. However, we didn't. And over the next 8 turns nobody else did either. The ball steadily bounced its merry way towards my Endzone.

But we had it covered. The Pact were out of rerolls, and during their turn 16 a beautiful BOrc caught that bouncing ball that had evaded everyone's hands.

That really hurts.

Full Time: 1-1 (1/1/0 - 4/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2023 - 07:25
FUMBBL Staff

Round 6: almic85's Orc "Kapitol Krushers"Image

Black Orcs are terrible! I've heard this from a number of sources. Despite this, an incredible thing happened a few weeks ago. I took BOrcs to NZ's longest running NAF tournament the Greenstone Cup (Est. 2004), and won. Nuffle-blessed certainly, but what a weekend!

And so, first game back to SWL saw me pitted against the current winner of (one of) Australia's longest running NAF tournaments, the Southern Major, Eucalyptus Bowl (Est. 2005).

Champion Orc coach vs Champion BOrc coach. I'm pretty sure almic has stopped the Luckers from getting to Prem before. We needed a win to secure promotion, this was a big game.

Drive 1
Turn 1: Orcs receive. The GGs got a deep kick in. Some blocks happened, a foul happened, a whistle happened and the ball wasn't picked up.
Turn 2: Some blocks happened, a 1D blitz happened, Image. The lineorc blitzer didn't have block and the ball wasn't picked up.
3 goblins advance into Orc territory
Turn 3: The Orc thrower decided it was time to pick up the ball. Except he failed the pickup.
4 goblins advance deep into Orc territory.
Turn 4:

Drive 2
Turn 7: A wildly inaccurate pass allowed the speedy goblins to run away with it again. "Safe" behind a screen, certain 2nd TD....

Go the 6+ BOrc pass!

Second Half GGs grind to victory

Full time: 3-0 (1/0/0 - 1/0/0)
almic85

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2023 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

We wuz robbed!!!

If you're interested join the Fringe
ramchop

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2023 - 04:37
FUMBBL Staff

Round 7: GreySquirrel's Khorne "U'zhul's Collectors"Image

Already qualified for Prem. First place and a shiny silver Conference Cup out of reach, what was there left to play for? Second place was up for grabs, and it'd be nice to leapfrog those Ogres. Playing for the team build, skills for next season is another nice to have but not a big driver.

There is this:
My bingo board. Best results - green for a win, yellow for a draw, and red for no better than a dreaded loss. In 68 games SWL has given the Luckers a fair bit of variety, and here was an opportunity to paint khorne away from a shade of grey. Let's try not to make it red.

First drive Khorne receive and score on Turn 4. Plenty of time for my speedy goblins to get the GGs level at half time, and push for the win in the second half.

Thanks crowd:

0-2 down. No rerolls, a bit of an uphill battle. However, there is always the trusty Troll

Second half grind for the draw. Yellow is prettier than grey, and a lot nicer than red.

Full Time: 2 - 2 (1/1/0 - 1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2023 - 10:37
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVIII Premier

The Luckers have lucked their way to the top tier for the third time in their 69 game career! Let's have a look at this career:

Conferences are meant to be tough. Way tougher than the 3rd tier Reggies. I'm pretty stoked that I've managed to keep the GGs from ever dropping that low. Never finished a Conf season with a negative TD diff!

However, look up a level and you'll see what tough is. 6th and 7th. TDΔ -3 and -5. Third time lucky maybe? (hopefully)

Who have we got?:
( Image = Prem title for the team, Image = Prem title for the coach with a previous team)

Image Billabong Blue Bloods (1480k, 21/4/2 = 85% win rate) D_Arquebus Image Image
Image Suspicious A-Listers (1490k, 13/2/6 = 67% win rate) KeepitCoul
Image Questionable Ethics (1550k, 20/3/4 = 80% win rate) Image Grod Image
Image We Come From A Land Up Over (1335k, 14/7/9 = 58% win rate) The_Demon
Image Minutes or Centuries (1410k, 35/16/18 = 62% win rate) SkittleMosaic
Image Nana's Undies (1390k, 20/8/11 = 62% win rate) Irgy Image
Image Ugg’s Eleven (1450k, 13/4/4 = 71% win rate) Kransky

and the GG Luckers?:
Image (1355k, 31/20/18 = 59% win rate)

Feeling a little out of our depth
ramchop

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2023 - 20:32
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVIII Premier
Round 1: D_Arquebus's Lizardmen "Billabong Blue Bloods"Image

Well that snowballed. I try to write a match report for every game I play, but this season I'd played the second game before I'd had a chance to write about the first. Then the 3rd, then the 4th... then it all seemed a bit daunting. Now we hit the big summer holiday break, the weather is blowing a gale outside, and yeah, let's see if I can knock out 7 match reports before I return to work. Over 2 months since the first match of the season, maybe I'll get a more detached less emotional view of each game. I can't see that'll be a good thing.

D_Arquebus, let's chuck an arbitrary number at the wall. One of the 5 coaches to have beaten me over 15 times. This wasn't going to be easy - my "s#$t lizards" against Prem lizards.

The GGs were feeling a bit underdone, agent fees were biting and as is often the case we entered the season with no bench. And no Troll! The Blue Bloods also had no bench, and no Krox! However, the sauruses did have a lot of mighty blow and that was a worry. Let's see if Bomber Dribblesnot could sort them out

Stupid, stupid, stupid! What a terrible defensive setup! Maybe there's a sound reason I hadn't written this match report.

It was quite a violent first half and by the end of the 5th turn we were playing a game of sevens. The lizards were out of rerolls but they had the speed. They still needed to roll dice though - dodging away from my tackler, and two more dodges to score. I also rolled dice, 4 block dice on the blockless ball carrier. Come on Luckers!

Half time: 0-1

The ref was very kind though. Not only did he let Dribblesnot return for turn 8, he also let off a turn 8 fouler with a warning, and he allowed Dribblesnot to return again for the second half! 11 Luckers against 8 lizards. I guess we lucked a few KO rolls too.

Turn 9, perhaps the ref wasn't doing me any favours by keeping Bomber on the pitch.

Ball in 3 enemy TZs, a block and a blitz got it down to 1. 4+ pickup and we're away.

Lizards seemed to like the KO bin, but their speed and my anxiety about KOs returning meant for a stall for the draw.

Full Time: 1-1 (1/0/0 - 2/1/1)

Down 2 BOrcs for the next game (one of them dead), Maybe the shop for a troll would have to wait.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2023 - 21:48
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVIII Premier
Round 2: KeepitCoul's Vampire "Suspicious A-Listers"Image

As much as I like trolls, we needed to replace the dead BOrc from R1. So the GGs went into R2 with 5 Borcs, facing 5 very formidable Vamps: All with Blodge!, all with Pro!, two with +MA, and one with guard. Absolute horror show.

Drive 1 the Luckers receive in the rain. A short kick, another bad BOrc setup and a Solid Defence meant pressure was applied immediately. A speedy goblin aced the pickup and ran back to safety.

"safety"

Bomber helped get us out of trouble by knocking over one of those two vamps. My tackler knocked over the other, and the dirty git stunned him. It was a long and tricky drive to get to the other end of the pitch, but we made it - helped by the vamps burning through all 3 rerolls in the first two turns.

Halftime 1-0

The A-Listers managed to negotiate the wall of BOrcs and could have easily stalled for the draw. However this time they had all 3 rerolls in their pocket and decided to go for the win, scoring on T13.

Speedy goblins, 4 turns, I thought I had a very good shot. Then a deep kick and a pitch invasion took out three from each side, meant there were a lot of gaps in the pitch. Rather than consolidate, I made to stupid decision run forward to hunt a vampire with my mighty blow tackler - into casualty (regenned), maybe not so stupid after all.

OK, it was stupid. But perhaps not as stupid as not using my last reroll on this rush:

Nuffle was kind enough to let the goblin survive 7 block dice (1 team reroll, and a pro). Would he extend his kindness to a dodge away and a a hard fought draw?

It's Nuffle, we know the answer

Full Time: 1-2 (1/2/0 - 0/0/1)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2024 - 22:15
FUMBBL Staff

SWL XCVIII Premier
Round 3: Grod's Chaos "Questionable Ethics"Image

SWL's reigning Champion. A coach as good as Grod surely doesn't need Nuffle's help. His team does seem to possess an unholy number of good random rolls though.

Look at all of those skills!

Their chief scorer - all randoms!

Their chief blitzer - block and tackle first two skills random, then all chosen after that.

First drive GGs receive and fail to set foot in the opposition territory all half. A speedy goblin failed a dodge again and ended up in casualty. It was left to a rookie BOrc in his second game to dodge out for a blitz and stop the freak Kendall from scoring, and as a bonus send him to the KO bin for the rest of the match.

Half Time 0-0

Second half despite being low on numbers, the Luckers got into the Chaos half and knocked the ball loose. Then a moment where a speedy goblin could save the game, punt the ball downfield and possibly even get a win.

Tirohanga starts a Pass action

Not to be.

Somehow we got to Prem without having a good bash game (-9 cas diff). I don't think there's any chance of us staying here unless we can start removing players.

Full Time: 0 - 1 (0/0/0 - 1/0/0)
 Jump to: