31 coaches online • Server time: 18:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stowelly

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

FinnDiesel wrote:
stowelly wrote:
FinnDiesel wrote:
Proxy Minatures, are not allowed normally in tournaments. If you have a team that is not painted, you are not allowed normally as well

None of this is true!
For NAF tournaments, yes it is true
for majors.... Possibly, but naf sanctioned tournaments, don't require these things
garyt1

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, much more than majors! But I suppose it is down to the organizer. Maybe clubs in some towns etc have got used to not requiring it, as it is a barrier to entry for some folks. But at least on the basic NAF tournament guidelines they specify it. So it must be common.

https://www.thenaf.net/tournaments/introduction/

The above includes this paragraph:

"Check the rules for whether you need to bring a board. You will always need to bring your own team, dice, and usually two rosters, one for handing in and one for your opponent’s reference. Players on your team with skills will need to be marked in some way – at the least by numbering your players, but skill rings are also very common. Teams are expected to be painted to a basic standard at least."

Perhaps it should say usually are expected.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

stowelly wrote:
FinnDiesel wrote:
stowelly wrote:
FinnDiesel wrote:
Proxy Minatures, are not allowed normally in tournaments. If you have a team that is not painted, you are not allowed normally as well

None of this is true!
For NAF tournaments, yes it is true
for majors.... Possibly, but naf sanctioned tournaments, don't require these things

I'll add my voice here to reinforce. I'm running a local NAF sanctioned tournament in June. While the tournament ruleset requests folks to bring painted teams, if folks want to come play with unpainted or proxied figures, I shall not be turning them away. As long as all the coaches involved in the game can tell what the figures are intended to represent and can have fun doing so, there is no problem. In my first NAF tournament, my first game was against an entirely proxied, half unpainted team. (That said, there IS a separate prize being offered for the "Best Team: Selected by a panel of 3 Judges, this award encompasses Painting, Conversions, and Theme". It'd be hard to win that with a proxied and/or unpainted team. Smile )
Throweck

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The context of the whole conversation on the podcast was that it was a barrier to entry.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I thought I'd add a couple of thoughts from an experienced coach (~150 tournaments across Europe and a couple in North America) and a NAF point of view.

Firstly, while I've not listened, I don't expect the chaps were deliberately down on TT. PC has been very positive when we've chatted about tournament stuff, and so far as I'm aware, Throweck was having fun when I met him. Perhaps something was lost in an edit. Wink

On the topic of painted minis: expectations vary depending on where you play. In some countries I've played in, opponents have arrived with unpainted metal and there was no problem or expectation that minis would be painted. In the UK, it's generally (but not always) considered best practice to have painted minis, and that can find its way into rulespacks as mandatory. So there is no 'one size fits all' answer on whether teams have to be painted, it's cultural, depending on how important 'hobby stuff' is in that area.

Two things I don’t come across are painting trumping performance and Lego as minis. I have heard of the latter happening and I think there was one Lego team at one event I went to a long time ago (Sillysod being a silly sod), but it's rare. As for the former, if a ruleset comes across my desk that doesn't have w/d/l primacy, I will talk to the TO before I approve it. Usually, something like bonus points for TDs has crept in, and tournaments decided on that sort of thing can be unsatisfying in the end. With that in mind, I recommend a change. Painting trumping performance is so rare I don't ever remember reading a rulespack that has included it. It's not a thing.

I think, as a generalisation, it is a good idea to arrive at a tournament with painted minis and a means of distinguishing skills (e.g. skill rings, bottle caps, other) on different players. The game is just nicer when the teams look like Blood Bowl teams, rather than silver lumps. That said, plenty of coaches don't see a problem and are perfectly happy without paint. If you're interested in a TT tournament but are worried about whether you'll need to source minis, I recommend that you a) contact the organiser and see what the cultural norms are in that area, and b) just ask to borrow a team. People are forever lending teams to each other, it's normal and no-one will shun you for not having equipment. They'll welcome you, give you a team to use and accept a beer as payment, no bother. I have never painted a Blood Bowl mini in my life and couldn't be less into the 'hobby' side of the hobby, but it's never stopped me. I've bought painted teams and borrowed, and not painting has never been any sort of barrier.

I hope some or all of that was helpful, and works in the context of a podcast I've not listened to! I'm obviously evangelical about NAF TT Blood Bowl, and am always happy to talk about it. My PM box is always open if I can help.

Cheers!
Throweck

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I can’t believe Goo doesn’t listen. Deep cuts.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2018 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! I could argue I just haven’t listened yet! Wink

Kidding aside, it’s not a review. I just have to draw a Blood Bowl line somewhere, and I’m not big into podcasts generally. I’m sure it’s excellent.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2019 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've listened up to and including the CIBBL special so far... As a long time FUMBBL participant it was really nice to hear the Christer special. Hearing about FUMBBL through the ages brought back some memories.
My general feedback so far would be to have more of an introduction on the topics being discussed so that people who don't know what the acronyms stand for various things... classic example was the CIBBL... there was no real briefing on what it was about from the outset with the presumption being that if you were on FUMBBL you knew all about it... but this excludes people that don't... like me who only dabbles in a couple of small leagues these days.
I particularly like the authoritative voices of Purplechest and Morehouse who give their various experiences of FUMBBL.
I haven't got very far in to the podcasts so far, but these were my initial thoughts... probably sorted later in more recent podcasts.

On a personal note I would like to see more stuff on the profile page (that Purplechest has mentioned a few times) for League wins/stats... it's all biased towards ranking games... what about something mirrored for League games (non-ranked) too? And for the podcast, talk not just about high TV teams for ranked games but also lower builds for starting off in perpetual leagues.

All good fun though... will definitely keep listening!

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2019 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
And for the podcast, talk not just about high TV teams for ranked games but also lower builds for starting off in perpetual leagues.

Yeah I want to do this on one soon. I have been starting a bunch of new teams lately for the new league I'm doing so I've been thinking about it some.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2019 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
I've listened up to and including the CIBBL special so far... As a long time FUMBBL participant it was really nice to hear the Christer special. Hearing about FUMBBL through the ages brought back some memories.
My general feedback so far would be to have more of an introduction on the topics being discussed so that people who don't know what the acronyms stand for various things... classic example was the CIBBL... there was no real briefing on what it was about from the outset with the presumption being that if you were on FUMBBL you knew all about it... but this excludes people that don't... like me who only dabbles in a couple of small leagues these days.
I particularly like the authoritative voices of Purplechest and Morehouse who give their various experiences of FUMBBL.
I haven't got very far in to the podcasts so far, but these were my initial thoughts... probably sorted later in more recent podcasts.

On a personal note I would like to see more stuff on the profile page (that Purplechest has mentioned a few times) for League wins/stats... it's all biased towards ranking games... what about something mirrored for League games (non-ranked) too? And for the podcast, talk not just about high TV teams for ranked games but also lower builds for starting off in perpetual leagues.

All good fun though... will definitely keep listening!

Thanks for the feedback!

It gets better with age I think. We are still finding our way in terms of features, structure, etc.

I think we have a good mix of views and we are inviting guests along the way.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2019 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Morehouse, you said that if you just go down your local gamestore to play you wont find anyone who has enough experience to give you a real game. Well the 3dieblock guys were complaining they needed some stiffer opposition to practice against before the world cup. As you have claimed to be quite good maybe you need to come to a tournament like your co hosts did, fortunately Iowa city is not too far from Ames and their next one is scheduled for 5/11. I guess I am calling you out on their behalf (?!) Otherwise they are stuck playing me, although I have been knocking off the rust on FUMBBL.
 Jump to: