41 coaches online • Server time: 18:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How long should seasons be in the Ranked division?
20 games. You should rebuild from time to time
28%
 28%  [ 18 ]
10,000 games. The longer the season the better it is.
56%
 56%  [ 36 ]
Mandatory Pie choice someone forgot to put in. (LB)
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 64

Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I would just like to know see what the coaches think. As the rule is not specific, I hope the commissioner chooses to set a number that will be most enjoyed by his coaches.

I put the same poll in the box because I see each situation differently and some coaches may see them differently too.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Goog idea, but I think the poll(s) should offer more options.

Plus, I think without accurate knowledge about the seasons mechanism and at least some discussion about it (or a summery of previous discussions), the result of the poll might paint a wrong picture.

Again: Great initiative!

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Infinite isn't an option?

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never missed so much the pie option before!

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Reading the rules in DZ1 the league play is envisaged on between 3 and 14 matches per team per season plus play offs. However, teams can play as many friendlies as they like in a season too.

So my answer is fewer than 20 matches per season but also more than 10,000 provided they are friendlies.

This could work by having all gamefinder games as friendlies and tourney games and counting towards the league game number. Or requiring non-friendly games to qualify for majors etc.
dode74

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
As the rule is not specific
It doesn't specify, but there do appear to be some bounds. From DZ S1:
    If the league contains eight or more teams, the Commissioner should divide them into divisions. Each division should contain as equal a number of teams as possible, but a division should have no fewer than four teams and no more than eight.

And...
    During a season, each team must play two competition games against each other team in their division

This suggests a season of 6 to 14 Competitive matches.

The fly in that ointment is friendlies, of course, but there are some differences between friendlies and league matches (e.g. no MVP). In R are all matches friendly, or are they not? How do you differentiate?
mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Infinite isn't an option?

or 5000 games..
these numbers feel random to me, and a quality of R and B is that i can always play there if I have time, based on my personal time schedules. seasons will hurt that.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

dode74 wrote:

The fly in that ointment is friendlies, of course, but there are some differences between friendlies and league matches (e.g. no MVP)

Not just MVP - top of page 21 of DZ1 states that SPP are only gained in Competition Matches (several places including top of page 24 indicates that Friendlies are not competition matches)
SwissSwatchWatch

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

With infinite seasons you will see very high tv teams. Especially with the removal of pilling on.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

the purpose of seasons, is for tabletop clubs to cap TV so new teams can join without facing massive opponents, right?

but R and B are TV-matchmaking environments - so newbies join and play against other low TV teams

i don't particularly see the need for enforced rebuilds
if big, old teams get to 3000TV, so what? they'll play other similar teams
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

This question is already being discussed here: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=28459
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
a quality of R and B is that i can always play there if I have time, based on my personal time schedules. seasons will hurt that.

what?

ok to be clear, we are talking about season length being -per team-, right?

so once you team has played 20 games, it's the end of that team's season?

in which case, your personal time schedule is irrelevant
Karnov

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The season should start on the 1/1/20** and conclude 31/12/20**.
One calendar year. Easy.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Squiglet wrote:
dode74 wrote:

The fly in that ointment is friendlies, of course, but there are some differences between friendlies and league matches (e.g. no MVP)

Not just MVP - top of page 21 of DZ1 states that SPP are only gained in Competition Matches (several places including top of page 24 indicates that Friendlies are not competition matches)
It does, but the latest errata (don't think I can link it here?) changes that to league matches. I believe the definition of that includes friendlies.
Sp00keh wrote:
the purpose of seasons, is for tabletop clubs to cap TV so new teams can join without facing massive opponents, right?
I don't believe it is. I believe it is to cap TV of the high climbers and aid those who are struggling. The idea is it keeps everyone within the 1500-2000TV range.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2017 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
Goog idea, but I think the poll(s) should offer more options.

Plus, I think without accurate knowledge about the seasons mechanism and at least some discussion about it (or a summery of previous discussions), the result of the poll might paint a wrong picture.

Again: Great initiative!

If you get a 90/10 split you will have a good idea of how the community feels despite the lack of a middle option.
 Jump to: