30 coaches online • Server time: 09:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Krunkova- We do have such a thing, I think the royal rookie rumbles, and blackbox brawls are similar to that

But basically, play in league if you want the emphasis on build big teams
R and B will always be TV matched. It isn't bad, just different

Making money- well the expensive mistakes rules are pretty harsh, they block all teams from stockpiling more than around 290k

Rule of 5- congrats you reached this conclusion yourself. TV efficiency is important but it doesn't have to dominate your experience here
finsterface

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Krunkova wrote:
To be honest I started this topic to find out how come everything conventional BB (in leagues,cups etc) teaches us doesn't seem to aplly to R or B.
Old school BB, back in the day was never designed to be played in seasons with fixed matches each week. That style of play HEAVILY favors the bash teams, unless you limit the no of bash teams.
Example: You're playing High elves and your next 5 games are: Undead,Orcs,Dwarves,Norse,Skaven
By the time you got to the 5th game, your team was decimated. Note that you where never given free lineman if you missed players due to injury or death. So everyone had a bench ,the longer - the better.
FF played a crucial part and was important to keep the team going,protect against pitch invasion and give you free cheering fans re-rolls.

I know, been to 2nd edition back in the early 90s, as well Razz

Lots has changed though and its time to adapt. In some aspects the game is similar in others its very different. If you favor team-building over relatively fair momentary matchups, then maybe L is the best division for you & others are telling you which ones are good choices atm.

I personally like(d) that alot, too. Only thing that drove me away was my own inability and unwillingness to schedule matches long in advance. But guess, there's even an open-league, these days as koadah has pointed out.

Krunkova wrote:
TV matchmaking motivates you to have zero FF,zero coaches , a short bench and 4-5 mega cheesy stars. The rest of the team is cheap,or free and mainly used for fouling opposing 4-5 mega cheesy stars. A god forbid you start making money.

Whether building a team is mainly successful upon developing a handful of stars or spamming skills on all players is really a matter of coaching-style & race, I think. I guess, there are (successful) examples for both.

As far as Gold is concerned: It doesn't hurt you as long as you don't spend it mindlessly (TV-wise) and don't mind loosing some due to EM, but it's not as important, I agree thus far.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Krunkova wrote:

To be honest I started this topic to find out how come everything conventional BB (in leagues,cups etc) teaches us doesn't seem to aplly to R or B.

That is not true. Though every league has it's own quirks. You have to play to the environment that you are in.

TV management is important. in all environments. If your team is bloated you giving away an advantage.

Krunkova wrote:
Old school BB, back in the day was never designed to be played in seasons with fixed matches each week. That style of play HEAVILY favors the bash teams, unless you limit the no of bash teams.
Example: You're playing High elves and your next 5 games are: Undead,Orcs,Dwarves,Norse,Skaven
By the time you got to the 5th game, your team was decimated. Note that you where never given free lineman if you missed players due to injury or death. So everyone had a bench ,the longer - the better.
FF played a crucial part and was important to keep the team going,protect against pitch invasion and give you free cheering fans re-rolls.

That was a long time ago. You need to find Harvestmouse and build a league with him.

Krunkova wrote:

All the teams where initially designed with the following league rules in mind:
You would all agree on a specific Cup to be played. The cup is played on a Saturday and will be a knock out system,with the first 3 teams gaining awards. There where also best individual awards. Before that date,everyone would play friendlies (if there is such a thing) and you could play any number of them as long as you didn't play more then two matches with the same opponent in a row.

Do we have such a thing on this site? Out of all those leagues...

Secret League Open allows any number of friendlies and has tournaments too.

But it does use a lot of custom rosters. Regular BB2016 rosters are allowed too.

The Ranked division used to run Smack tournaments but it can be difficult to get together enough for a tournament on a certain night.

You could try to build such a league yourself but the issue is getting enough coaches together for ad hoc friendlies and single day tournaments to work.

If you would like to try running such things in Secret League give Garion & myself a shout.

Krunkova wrote:

TV matchmaking motivates you to have zero FF,zero coaches , a short bench and 4-5 mega cheesy stars. The rest of the team is cheap,or free and mainly used for fouling opposing 4-5 mega cheesy stars. A god forbid you start making money.

You do sound like Harvestmouse in disguise. Wink

Really, I don't see this as a big deal. It's only really the case when the team is young (or recovering). You can build as big a team as you like. You just need to be a bit more patient.

I honestly don't know much about the very latest rules. I still mostly use CRP. But if the new rules really do greatly restrict growth then I would be interested in creating an open style league that uses some of the alternative rules that the site allows.

But again we could be looking a critical mass issues.
But hey, sometimes you just have to do it. If no one joins, no one joins and you have just lost a few evenings work.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I honestly don't know much about the very latest rules. I still mostly use CRP. But if the new rules really do greatly restrict growth then I would be interested in creating an open style league that uses some of the alternative rules that the site allows.

The new rules don't restrict the growth.
The main reasons are:
- Spiralling Expenses removal: no gold lost for increasing the TV over 1750;
- PO removal, less attrition;
- Expensive Mistakes rule encourages to invest money on a bench rather than hoarding huge Treasury and keeping the TV under 1750 to avoid Spiralling Expenses and clawpomb spam teams sitting at high TV as happened in CRP.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 21, 2017 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:

The new rules don't restrict the growth.
The main reasons are:
- Spiralling Expenses removal: no gold lost for increasing the TV over 1750;
- PO removal, less attrition;
- Expensive Mistakes rule encourages to invest money on a bench rather than hoarding huge Treasury and keeping the TV under 1750 to avoid Spiralling Expenses and clawpomb spam teams sitting at high TV as happened in CRP.

Yeah, that is true. Though I don't know what will happen if we get Seasons.

I would be interested in having bit of a 'quick start'. e.g. starting at 1100 or 1200. Giving every player their first skill immediately.

Jump to: