43 coaches online • Server time: 18:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
finsterface

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

after (almost) 4 years of absence from fumbbl, I've come back to the site to play a few matches in B. Decided I wouldn't start playing L again, since that got me too involved when I was playing here, last time.

So I started playing B, again. Thing is, though, after about 25 matches I've had it happen a couple of times, that people didn't show up within 15mins, had difficulties with their computer, phone ringing or some other stuff going on, which severly dragged matches or even the start of a match along. While I'm not a fast player myself and momentarily sometimes still bore my opponents because I have to get used to the new client and all those new rules, I'm wondering if there is not a better way to enforce at least quick starts of matches: I.e. (mildly) punishing the team that hasn't joined a match within 15mins after a draw by giving fame +2 to the opponent or by giving the opponent some +inducements, etc.

Otherwise, I guess there's just no incentive to actually stick around for the scheduler to fix a matchup. If your team is up for it, but something else pops up in rl, people just seem to be thinking they can still finish a game, once they're done with whatever they're doing. Confused Shocked

I've had my teams held up like that (for more than an hour) twice within this last week - once was for 3,5 days - so actually half the time, I've been back online. It's just happening again. Pretty frustrating.

Worst part for me isn't even the locking of a particular team (I can play others, meanwhile), but to actually have to schedule a specific date for a match to take part (which is why I didn't start in L, again). Or I have to get that team unscheduled by staff, but that would totally undermine the idea of the Box, I think. Evil or Very Mad

What do you people think?

cheers,
finster
Espionage

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it's a huge pain when people don't show up for their box matches, but there is more to life than Blood Bowl. If they don't show up, either reschedule or cancel. If they show up and leave, assume it's for the best reason you can think off, it's possibly not true, but it makes you think they left for all the right reasons, and stops you getting angry. When you think of all the stuff that goes wrong in real life, it's actually amazing that 2 people on the opposite sides of the world can so often get a game played.

I'm sure the admins have some sort of system where they can check if the same guys are often being reported as no shows, and they will take action if they think they need too. It's nothing to do with me. Be the best guy you can be, and don't sweat the small stuff, hopefully others will do the same.

P.S, in the days before no concessions for guys leaving mid game I once had a team locked up for 9 months, and back then if one team was locked in the box all the teams were locked (I suspect I was part of the reason they changed that)
koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think... if you are are not playing [L]eague you are crazy. Mr. Green

Play Secret League Open. Wink

It's open.

Though there are scheduled tournaments if you want them.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Horrible Histories have the answer - literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4
tussock

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

You gotta have spare teams, some of them end up in tournaments, some hung up on a missing opponent. PM them, sort something out, like the box page sort of crashes sometimes and doesn't show some people the match so they might be right there, but also there is life beyond fumbbl and you can activate your other teams instead.

People did intend to play, they're not just setting out to annoy you, stuff happened, maybe they just forgot about it after a thousand activations. Enjoy the games you get.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had worse - my opponent pretended they had been in game all the time (login times clearly showed this was a lie and I had also been in game myself the whole time) but because they claimed to have been there and admin had no way of knowing whether they had, I had to play it three days later.
finsterface

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I really appreciate the support you've been giving!

Now I've just had the most absurd conversation in a game, which I would like to share. I know fumbbl is not for naming & shaming and that's honestly not what I want to do. (Actually, I expect it to be quite amuzing for a few like myself). I'm therefore removing the players name from the conversation. Hopefully that is not against the rules, then. But I do think, that it's an issue, if people can just do as they like without *any* respect for the other party, whatsoever and I would like to give an example to show people, what's really going on (and this is not a singular case in my history, but just a pretty amuzing one).

This is from a match, which was scheduled at 11.45am:

I *really* don't want to pick at this particular coach and I even kinda believe his storyline (which is funny enough), that he's in a phd-thesis-period and has to attend a wedding. But I think this is just a good (because verbatim) example of how people deal with each other on this site. And please, shouldn't there at least be some kind of mechanism other than calling out the staff (which I don't want to do since it'll probably be a winning match for my team, I'll collect some spp & I also dislike to have things ruled by authorities)?

I think we should have some malus attached to join a game >15 Mins after it's gotten scheduled. Twisted Evil

Surely rl can get in the way of playing on fumbbl, but hell, it wouldn't be the end of the world for suffering from some fame -2 during one match or something similar...
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Some people have old PCs that load java slowly, especially if it is the first time they've loaded the client that day, or if there's been an update.

So no, no automatic penalty for >15min to turn up. Even though I've waited 2hrs+ with no explanation from opponents myself.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
Some people have old PCs that load java slowly, especially if it is the first time they've loaded the client that day, or if there's been an update.

So no, no automatic penalty for >15min to turn up. Even though I've waited 2hrs+ with no explanation from opponents myself.

I see all kinds of (acceptable) excuses for not being able to start within 15 Mins. Doubt, that I consider "starting up the client 1st time of the day" as one, though. If they have that problem, just be so responsible as to start up the client as spec., before. Problem solved.

If they're not able to be so foreseeing: Well, that's what the (mild!) penalty would be there for. Wink

If 15 Mins is too short, well make it 20 Mins or even 30, but there's gotta be some acceptable limit <1 hr., right? Cool

Edit: I'm really not looking at this as a thread about my case in particular, but at a chance of reducing the frustration of postponed box-matches in general, which just seem to happen a bit too often.

Edit2: Also, I have the impression (from a few responses), people are so used to this kind of frustration, that noone seems to be looking for solutions. I think if games started within 15 Mins, I'd probably have played at least +10%..+20% of box-matches in the same amount of time spent on fumbbl, as well, which would also help the problem of few matchups produced by the scheduler...
koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a long time since I played Box. In my day if someone didn't turn up (15mins I think) you could get the game cancelled.

You didn't wait an hour for people. That wasn't what the Box was about.

I would imagine that if this happened a lot, the admins would get fed with cancelling matches and sort people out.

The PdD guy sounds like a joke. Are you sure your wife wasn't filming your reaction to post on Facebook?

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
Horrible Histories have the answer - literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

Ok, I've used my unexpected spare time from not playing wisely and made a team in honor of ^^these guys^^ and in honor of all coaches that got me waiting to either start or finish a match and possibly (preferably) gave me an original, credible or just plain outrageous excuse for doing so. Cool
finsterface

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It is a long time since I played Box. In my day if someone didn't turn up (15mins I think) you could get the game cancelled.

You didn't wait an hour for people. That wasn't what the Box was about.

Agreed, it's not what box is about, but it's not about cancelling, because 1 coach doesn't fancy to play (for whatever reason) that particular matchup, either. Wink

koadah wrote:
I would imagine that if this happened a lot, the admins would get fed with cancelling matches and sort people out.

People like myself don't report games at all (unless a guy didn't login for weeks, maybe), so I doubt admins even perceive these cases.

koadah wrote:
The PdD guy sounds like a joke. Are you sure your wife wasn't filming your reaction to post on Facebook?

Lol, nah I'm only playing when my gf is not around. Maybe to *definetly not* end up being posted on youtube. Might be embarrassing. Cool
Espionage

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I started out clearly disagreeing with you, but the PHD guy is clearly a duck. I hope you screen shotted that and reported it to the admin's, that really is ban worthy. Maybe 3 months of not playing would help him with his addiction?
finsterface

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Espionage wrote:
I started out clearly disagreeing with you, but the PHD guy is clearly a duck. I hope you screen shotted that and reported it to the admin's, that really is ban worthy. Maybe 3 months of not playing would help him with his addiction?

Thx, Espionage, finally some attention Laughing
Seriously, though, I appreciate u just listening and considering.

Actually, I *do* believe this guy is telling the truth (unlikely as it sounds - and maybe a bit because it's easier for me, to deal with a conversation like that).

I really don't like reporting sth. like this to the admins - I don't think *this* guy is actually trying to dodge a game and *if* all he's writing is actually true, I even feel sorry for that poor soul who is hurting itself on procrastinating some phd-thesis through addictive online-games. Been there, myself and I think he's punished enough by even being in that situation. Cool

That said, I don't care - it's his problem.
If I have him banned, I don't even get to finish that match and I'm being punished myself.
There's gotta be a better way than that.
I think the matchmaking just needs an easy fix, so that people realize there's an acceptable amount of time for picking up a match. If they don't there's a disadvantage connected to that. My guesstimate on the outcome: 80% of problems I've had are solved.

I think it's not even really about a punishment for picking up a game late, but it would just be a clear statement about what timeframe is considered acceptable. The way it works now, people pretend to not even know what would be acceptable.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: May 20, 2017 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have issues then submit a ticket, it really is that simple.

You've been here a while so I'm sure you've seen the disconnection page at some point but I'll drop a link here you you can have a refresh rather than whining in the forum with what is a pretty weak name and shame (against site rules)

https://fumbbl.com/help:DisconnectionProblems