13 coaches online • Server time: 05:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Primarch

Post   Posted: May 29, 2017 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Aight, I've played Blood Bowl for years, but never really dedicated myself to it.

Is there a suggested road map to be good at the game? There will always be bad games, just like to minimize those as much as I can.

I've played Dwarf mostly and I think that has "stunted" my growth if you will...hahahaha.

Just play Ranked here or Black Box? Leagues? I play here, PC, Tabletop.

I'd love to not play a straight bash team. I understand things are different online versus tabletop, where CPOMB is usually not a big deal. Should I build for that? I'd love to play Wood Elves, anybody I should watch games from?
Lorebass

Post   Posted: May 29, 2017 - 23:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Certain MattDakka-s and ArrestedDevelopments will say this or that. My suggestion is to find a few of the top coaches for whatever race you want to play and watch them.

CPOMB is now only an issue in some leagues with those rules or Cyanide. I even had to kill my poor thread for that... Sad new rules shake things up.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 29, 2017 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait... Did you kill the CPOMB thread?
Noooooooo!!!!!!!!
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 29, 2017 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You have enough games under your belt that you should have a firm grasp of the rules and how to operate the client. Now. Read this:

https://fumbbl.com/help:The+Taoch%21+of+Blood+Bowl%3A+A+Condensed+Guide+for+Newbies

Read it 3 times, slowly.

Then. There is no "right" way to do it but for what it's worth, here is what I suggest. Pick one or two races that you are interested in. Check out some of the guides for those races available online. Check out the Fumbbl Top Lists or just ask here to see who the best coaches for those races are. Put those coaches on your friend list so you can see when they are online, and playing. Spec those games. Watch replays.

Create teams and play those races. Ranked, Box and League are all fine for that but if you play Ranked you shouldn't pick too hard (though take care not to get picked too hard either). You will learn fastest if you do not dodge Super Star or Legend coaches. If you play League, you need to join a competitive League, like WIL or OBBA or HUBBA or ask around. In Box, well, you will be forced to play competitive games so no worries there. Also, join tourneys after a while, if you can stand the scheduling.

If you play, make sure to watch your own matches on replay and analyze your mistakes. Identify your weaknesses and try to improve them one at a time.

You will have to get over "but caging/stalling/always taking Guard is boring". Then you will get to a point where you understand you shouldn't be taking as many risks, and you will start avoiding them, but you will not yet know what to do instead. As a consequence, you will lose more games, not less, for a time. You will have to learn how to organize a turn properly, and how to think beyond the turn you are currently playing. If you're playing strong coaches, do ask for their advice, many will give it freely.

Once you've done all that, which will take at least a few dozen games, you can start playing a wider variety of races. You can start playing tourneys in earnest, might even win one. At that point you'll be a solid coach, but you will still not understand the fine strategic nuances when watching two really good coaches play. You will still throw matches away by making simple mistakes. But if you keep working, and keep practicing, a couple hundred games later, you'll actually be any good.

Totally not kidding. Blood Bowl is a game of amazing depth. Well. This is what my journey has taught me, anyway. Take with a grain of salt.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 29, 2017 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
Certain MattDakka-s and ArrestedDevelopments will say this or that.

Like what? For woodies -

Watch Endzone, Oventa, BiBi, Rawlf, Mikiruni81 and Spartako too.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2017 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, you've been on here since 2003? You must have been one of the first players on the site Smile

Pro tip - play here more Wink

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Primarch

Post   Posted: May 30, 2017 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol..yep, pitiful number of games on here though. Only a couple hundred or so. I love the game though, and have played it since I first saw it on a table top...early 90s I think?

Thanks for the advice all, I will endeavor to improve using this..
neubau

Post   Posted: May 30, 2017 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24897

the 1000 losses playbook is a great read

Post   Posted: May 30, 2017 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

As Lorebass stated, watch games. Cant explain how much it helped me when I was trying to improve my game.

Jeffro
Aneirin

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you find the top coaches for particular races? Is there a search function or something I ma missing?
Throweck

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Aneirin wrote:
How do you find the top coaches for particular races? Is there a search function or something I ma missing?

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coaches&order=&d=0&r=0

Here you go.

Comes with a warning. (Insert R v B argument here)

Some Ranked coaches have openly picked their way to the top. Some have genuinely earned that position.

Also, AD informs me that the rankings skip people that haven't played in a while. For example Endzone.

Watch Endzone replays.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2017 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Aneirin wrote:

This is another way to find the top teams, but it's a bit exhausting, since (as far as I know) you can only sort by either race or win-percentage (or a couple of other criteria).

If you sort by win-percentage scroll until you find the race in question (at the TV you're looking at) which have at least a number of matches played and look up those teams (and the coaches), that seem of interest to you.

I think there are some teams, that do really well, but are played by coaches which might not have a top-ranking, overall. Smile

Another way, that I'm aware of: Look at the current B-Sprint to find those teams, that have played the best matches (at TV<180) over a certain 2-month-period.

Looking at those teams (and a few replays) is a way I prefer, when I'm starting to play a new race...
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

play lots. get better. that 10,000 hours thing.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2017 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

My recommended strategy is:
Play a race until you find a race you think is superior. Then switch to that race.
Then repeat.

Soon you will have learned about why all the races you think are the best ones aren't and how you can beat them.
 Jump to: