32 coaches online • Server time: 00:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

The_Murker

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Man.. I thought my idea for "The GRID" division back on page 4 was the bomb. No?

Maybe I'll try again.. this one's a bit different.

How about a new and completly revolutionary division?

"The PACT"

I'll sit on Ranked with all my team's activated. I have at least one team out of each of the 4 catagories. (Bashers, Ballers, Betweeners, Bonkers) You just ping me on Discord and TELL me which team of mine you want to play. Pick ANY of my Ranked teams, and you play with whoever you want.

Next week, when I see you at a pre-arranged time, it's my turn to pick any of your Ranked teams I want to play.

Back and forth, and so on. Please.. ping me.

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Fairness is over rated. You desire it because it reinforces preconceived notions about your skill. You're a good enough coach that you should welcome unfair challenges as a true test of your skill. Anything less is self indulgent masturbation. Time to grow Dakka.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Box is a TV matching environment, yet matches with huge TV gaps happen from time to time (due to some coaches monoactivating high TV teams).
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

large TV gap games in B doesn't mean merging R and B is a bad idea though, it's irrelevant

It's actually a benefit to merging, because with more activity in B you'd get smaller TV gaps
Jopotzuki

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Jopotzuki wrote:
koadah wrote:
Jopotzuki wrote:
Why not make only 1 competitive division where you activate a team and then the machine pairs you with a team of similiar TV/win %/whatever. There are many online games that work like this, for example: Blood bowl 2, Starcraff and Warcraft. In addition you could have leagues like we have now. Or why not make Box work like this? Why does the pairings need to be done at x time? Why can't the machine pair two teams when they are looking for a match??

Blood Bowl 2 actually changed to work the way Fumbbl works. But their interval is 5 minutes, not 15.

They use pooling to get better matches. Smaller TV gaps.

Starcraft & Warcraft have huge user bases compared to blood bowl.

It doesn't make any difference how many people are in the user base. When two equal teams are found they are paired together. I don't see why this woudn't work in Fumbbl. The only thing is that the game could start almost instantly but on the other hand you might end up waiting for a very long time.

What if you would show the TV of teams looking for a match? Then you could choose a team of similiar value and the scheduler would immediately make a pair. You would not see the teams, coaches or choose opponents like in R. Only see the TV to make pairing faster for the scheduler.

But would this benefit the coach entering the scheduler later? I don't think so because you only see TV and let the scheduler do it's tricks.

The size of the userbase matters because with a small userbase you could have a long wait before you find two even teams.

I don't think people will want pickers to see the TVs of teams in the scheduler. People to make sure they have the biggest TV. They'll wait to activate until they see a cherry. Just as they wait now to avoid Smallman. Wink

Is it any different now? You wait 15 minutes to not find two even teams. The scheduler could be the same as it is now but immediately pair two even teams. The TV idea was silly now that I think of it Smile

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Fairness is over rated. You desire it because it reinforces preconceived notions about your skill. You're a good enough coach that you should welcome unfair challenges as a true test of your skill. Anything less is self indulgent masturbation. Time to grow Dakka.

In competitive division fairness is a must, otherwise the division is not competitive (therefore creating a logical contradiction), there is no need to shift the debate to the personal plan.
If fairness is overrated then let's throw to the wind any kind of pairing and let's play with totally randomly paired teams, without taking into account the TV.
Would people like to play that? I think not.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %12, %2017 - %19:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
large TV gap games in B doesn't mean merging R and B is a bad idea though, it's irrelevant

It's actually a benefit to merging, because with more activity in B you'd get smaller TV gaps

But I will not be playing B really anymore, because it's a hybrid division with a mix of cherrypicking and not cherrypicking teams.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Does FUMBBL need a CCL type reboot? I think it wouldn't hurt, and I think you can (maybe need to) revisit the tournament scene and how it would tie into a CCL type division. But if nothing else, even people who have no aspirations of making the tournament cut, still play and enjoy CCL type divisions because they are all there for the same reason.

CCL is a great idea but I hate the "move teams to Ranked" at the end of the season.

CCL with rock/paper/scissors activation for diversity?
More work for Christer.

Are there enough coaches to make it work with both "new teams only" and "experienced teams"?

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

What is CCL?
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Sp00keh wrote:

But I will not be playing B really anymore, because it's a hybrid division with a mix of cherrypicking and not cherrypicking teams.

Ahh
I was talking about basically moving R teams to B and deleting R. So there'd only be one match making method, of whatever type but no picking, just algorithm matchups.
So a team's original division wouldn't make any real difference

Last edited by Sp00keh on %b %12, %2017 - %20:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
koadah wrote:
So tell me, what is wrong with the games?

Are you talking not enough games? Too many bashers? Too many pickers what?

R: Yes, too many pickers and munchkins who sit on the gf for over an hour so they can pimp up a meaningless e-manhood and feel good about themselves (the same issues that have always plagued R)

That is Ranked. Play games that you want to play. If people don't want to play you, for whatever reason, they don't have to. That is the beauty of it. That hasn't changed.

JellyBelly wrote:

B: A small handful of 'bad actors' that have driven everyone else away through min/maxing and monoactivating, especially in the off-peak timezones.

Heh heh. The guys that no one will play in Ranked. Smile
But no CPOMB now. Isn't that is better?

JellyBelly wrote:

Your suggestion of merging R/B doesn't really do anything to combat any of those issues. the same issues these divisions have always had, that have never really been dealt with.

Well, no. You get around those issues by plying [L]eague. People have to be less picky because there are fewer opponents.

JellyBelly wrote:

koadah wrote:
Move all of Ranked to League and let people play vs teams from different rulesets. Yeah. That's great. I'll vote for that. Mr. Green

People are playing open games in L using various rulesets right now, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Teams of different rulesets couldn't play each other. Unless Chriter fixed it. Again, more divisions.
There may be pleanty of teams on gamefinder but you cannot play any of them. It also may not be obvious which teams you can play and which you can't.

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well with out going into alternative approaches to improve the box I will just state what I think.

Box works just fine when you have 8+ coaches activating. It is a excellent match maker if you can get 12+ coaches.

SO

How do you get 8+ coaches all activating at the same time?

* Reduce the # of activations per hour and start lumping up the coaches wanting to find Box matches into a smaller time frame. Meaning increasing the time between activations.

* Some how convince the masses that Box is now a better environment under the new BB2016 rule set and encourage them to come back. Good luck with that.

* Convince Christer to diversify the Box some how on his end with mandated changes.

just my 2 cents

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="MattDakka"]You want to pick? Nice, play in League, but don't get CR points for that.[/quote]

I can't recall the last time I got to pick and dodge a team in a league. In fact, NBFL this season, I've faced lizards, dwarfs, chorfs, 2x orcs, undead. And high elf

The rest of my season is orc, undead, chorfs, chaos, wood elf, pro elf, and goblins.

Tell me again what matches I get to pick in league
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
You want to pick? Nice, play in League, but don't get CR points for that.

I can't recall the last time I got to pick and dodge a team in a league. In fact, NBFL this season, I've faced lizards, dwarfs, chorfs, 2x orcs, undead. And high elf

The rest of my season is orc, undead, chorfs, chaos, wood elf, pro elf, and goblins.

Tell me again what matches I get to pick in league

[L]eague is more than just leagues! Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2017 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

But I have always thought that R should be the only division and Box a way of getting games in R. With a flag for 'random draw only' teams (both for pride and allowing those teams to only face similar if they choose), so those that want to avoid picking and pickers could do so.

But then I play in both R and B, so don't see the problems the divisional purists do.

And B is what the coaches in B have made it.

I would just like to highlight what is the most sensible and inclusive proposition so far.

Forcing R players into B makes absolutely no sense - risk alienating a division that has 50% of the FUMBBL matches to please one that has 20%? Probably a good way to nosedive the total amount of matches on FUMBBL.
 Jump to: