78 coaches online • Server time: 22:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hourly box activations?
Permantly change box to hourly activations
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Permantly change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to hourly activations
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Trial change box to 30mins peak, hourly offpeak
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
Change nothing
64%
 64%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 102

PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2017 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:
PainState wrote:
Well with out going into alternative approaches to improve the box I will just state what I think.

Box works just fine when you have 8+ coaches activating. It is a excellent match maker if you can get 12+ coaches.

SO

How do you get 8+ coaches all activating at the same time?

* Reduce the # of activations per hour and start lumping up the coaches wanting to find Box matches into a smaller time frame. Meaning increasing the time between activations.

* Some how convince the masses that Box is now a better environment under the new BB2016 rule set and encourage them to come back. Good luck with that.

* Convince Christer to diversify the Box some how on his end with mandated changes.

just my 2 cents

So, to get this straight are you suggesting removing the time frame of entries, to the first 8 coaches entered gets a draw? I kind of like that.

Isnt that called a SMACK?

Nope, not at all..As I pointed out that 8 coach draw is good but a 12+ coach draw is ideal.

Making the draw at the top of the hour/every hour. Might just get us to the magical 12+ coaches activating at peak times.

Thus

Making the Box a better place to find and play matches.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2017 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that I think about it, I will propose this.

A game of Blood Bowl on FUMBBL should take under a 1 1/2 to play.

IMO most coaches hit FUMBBL at lets say 8PM and in their ideal universe will be able to play 2 games before getting offline and going to bed and so forth.

Make the Box Activations follow that human behavior?

Box Activates every Hour and a Half.

7PM
8:30PM
10:00PM
11:30PM

You increase the odds that coaches will not only play one box match but maybe just stick around for another round of Box insanity!!!!

Oh, my, the possibility of like minded coaches who like Box all sticking around to get in 2 matches in one night. How is that bad for the Box?

Plus if the theory is good you have 12+ coaches all activating at those times..which is great for the scheduler.

The only downfall of that plan is that coaches will get very upset on slow play and not finishing a match in the Box in under a 1.5 hour time frame.

OR

It is a uneven draw and one coach is left behind. That does suck, I will admit.

I think this may be a BillBrasky wet dream scenario.

Very Happy

** Foot Note **

The idea I propose is an attempt to get 12+ coaches activating at the same time and I realize that if it is a uneven draw a coach will be left out.

BUT

IF the box does the "draw" and you have 12+ coaches and a lot of teams activated it makes the box experience so much better.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2017 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The issue I see with extending the time between off-peak Box draws to an hour or more is that if one is missed (say 3 coaches activate), people aren't going to stick around for an hour or more in the hope that the next one is better. They're going to look in Ranked or go and do something else. Also, if you're not on at those exact times, chances are you missed the boat tonight.

At least with 15-minute draws, people might be inclined to stick around until the next one, as 15 mins isn't that long.

koadah wrote:
So, you ban teams with 0 rerolls. We'll see if Christer goes for that. He hasn't done in all this time.

This is a reasonable suggestion. Or at least say you have to have x number of rerolls over a certain TV-level. Another idea is to ban retiring of uninjured players, just because they skilled or didn't get the skill roll you wanted. Doing that is also very much not in the spirit or fluff of the game.

It's also a shame that the new MVP assignment rule plays so much into the hands of min-maxers. Perhaps that could be house-ruled somehow for Box? It effectively means that players you don't want to develop will never develop.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz

Last edited by JellyBelly on %b %15, %2017 - %23:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2017 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Now for the coaches who play off peak time in Europe, lets say, 2 PM or 11AM.

With a 1.5 time frame on activations you have a better chance of getting 6-10 coaches all activating at the same time.

Once again. A better chance for box to have a good draw and more coaches who like playing in the box.

With the every quarter hour draw there are to many times you have gaps of a hour or more in Off Peak hours and only 2 games generated. This is what is bad for the Box, IMO.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
The issue I see with extending the time between off-peak Box draws to an hour or more is that if one is missed (say 3 coaches activate), people aren't going to stick around for an hour or more in the hope that the next one is better. They're going to look in Ranked or go and do something else. Also, if you're not on at those exact times, chances are you missed the boat tonight.

At least with 15-minute draws, people might be inclined to stick around until the next one, as 15 mins isn't that long.

That is pretty true.

On the other hand, as I said many times in the past...

If all the "good guys" designate :00 and/or :30 as the main draws they'll have a better chance of hitting each other.

And they all activate multiple teams. Wink

JellyBelly wrote:

koadah wrote:
So, you ban teams with 0 rerolls. We'll see if Christer goes for that. He hasn't done in all this time.

This is a reasonable suggestion. Or at least say you have to have x number of rerolls over a certain TV-level. Another idea is to ban retiring of uninjured players, just because they skilled or didn't get the skill roll you wanted. Doing that is also very much not in the spirit or fluff of the game.

It's also a shame that the new MVP assignment rule plays so much into the hands of min-maxers. Perhaps that could be house-ruled somehow for Box? It effectively means that players you don't want to develop will never develop.

I would think that the MVP rule would be pretty popular with most people. Changing it because of the NA Box might not be popular.

Firing player that don't get stats/doubles is pretty established strategy. Christer caught enough flak for the journeyman rule.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I don't understand you point here apart from sarcasm.

PC can correct me if I'm misinterpreting him, but I think his point was to remind that seeking absolutely pure competition in an environment where people are mostly playing for the fun of it can't be felicitous.

To borrow a theme I offered Morehouse in teh Discord yesterday, if you want to play real King of the Hill, you play real King of the Hill and challenge the best of the best in a match where the first who wins 6 games wins.

Or something along these lines.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybee a price for the best team of every race every month would encourage players to play more BB and to use more diverse teams,
Even if it would just be a title or something alike.
Anyhow, in European timeframe you have the chance to get a game every quarter of an hour someimes and I don't want to miss this.
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:

Well, that is true.

IMO having a draw at the top of the hour or every 1.5 hours will collect more coaches in order to have a 6-12+ coach draw. Which benefits the coaches activating and the Box in general.

Draws every quarter hour generate way to many 4 coach activations and large gaps of no draws.

I do not think the population of coaches is large enough to support Box activating every quarter hour.

Box needs to adapt to the reality of that situation.

4 coach draws is bad for the box because that is mainly when you see the insane TV difference match ups and just general scheduler insanity.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

So, people roll in at 10 past the hour, see it's 50 mins till the next draw and find something else to do.

Are you a ranked spy? Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, maybe later.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:

The American Blackbox has been put to death by selfish monoactivators.

Well, you were the one that decided winning was more important than having fun.

Looks like Americans listened.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually if it was quicker like 2 min, 5 min draw would that mean people are more inclined to stick around until the next ones ?
Make it more like queue than an activation

I think it'd be worth giving more info about why a draw failed, to point out that if you'd only activated another team then everyone would have got a match
(More frequent draws would go well with this, faster feedback)
smallman

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
smallman wrote:

My last game had a TV difference of 1mil, and recently had a 840k gap game.

This should at the very least be trialed. If this is trialed and fails I will gladly banish myself from this site if majority desire this. This will excite some of you lol.

Box was killed because of you, you *snip*. Your low TV cherry picking, caused a change in Box. That Change resulted in less people playing. You drove away many people before the change, and after the "small man" change. You are 90% to blame for any of this.

Your High inducement games are again because you are a *snip*. The rules were changed specifically with you in mind. We warned you, and you kept doing it. To complain about it now is the most ironic thing I personally have ever experienced.

For a third time, you are a *snip*.

Watch the language - ea

cherry pick in box?? I think you are confused. I am not complaining at all, just making a suggestion I know will improve the box for all. I happy to play different games if box continues to die.

I would love to play my agility teams more often, so pixel huggers like you don't cry so much. But an agility team with a 1mil TV disadvantage has no chance, and my chaos pact do have a chance, so that's all I activate to ensure I don't give away easy wins.

Find it quite amusing how many people are happy to wait 15min hoping box activates next round just to see it fail again lol.
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I love Box, and I wish I could play more, but you know, sometimes that doesn't work out, what with life and all that. So, it is a bummer as a NA boxer to struggle with the 2/3 coaches looking and that's it when I do have time to play.

What about baby steps towards the activations during off-times, like every 20 minutes instead of 15, so we go from 4 activations/hour to 3 activations/hour? Might not be a huge difference but it is a small step to see if it helps.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2017 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
just making a suggestion I know will improve the box for all.

I think you are confused. Your suggestion will mostly discourage people from trying to sidestep players like you.

smallman wrote:
Find it quite amusing how many people are happy to wait 15min hoping box activates next round just to see it fail again lol.

Just wait until it happens after a one hour wait.

Lulz indeed.