51 coaches online • Server time: 12:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2019 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hej,

rolled doubles on this Vampire. Only skill I really see as potentially useful is Nerves of Steel for a catch or pickup then pass on move in multiple tacklezones - but block just seems more sensible, especially in the box.

But more generally - does it ever make any sense to give them passing skills compared to one of the many others available?
Wolbum

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2019 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

While under conventional circumstances, no, I once gave a Vampire leader to boost my rerolls rather than spend 140k. This contributed to my teams' success in a league dramatically.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2019 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mhm. Ye. I was a bit silly and started with few Vamps - but six re-rolls - with this team - so I don't really need leader for them - but can see why that how that could be worth it.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2019 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I use the double to take Pass on Vampires (ideally on an AG 5 one).
Although generally speaking passing the ball is risky, running the ball could be more risky for Vampires due to Blood Lust/GFIs. A pass may save some rolls and offer a plan B if you are forced to use a rr early on a turn.
Also, since Vampires are good at cage breaking, a loose ball can be picked up and thrown away (AG 5 is great for that).
That said, I'm not endorsing passing the ball always, but for example, you can keep a Pass Vampire a bit behind, without moving every turn, and pass the ball when required (this reduces the Blood Lust tests).
I prefer to take Leader on a Thrall instead, because Leader has no synergy and using a Vampire's skill slot looks like a waste to me.
PrivateNiCeGuY

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2019 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

No, blodgstep-tackle-pro is 5 skills
add stats and a MB vamp and you don't have the spots.
If you don't like pro then you might have some spaces but its hard.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2019 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to give it a shot, but haven't really played enough games with him to determine if it's worthwhile. I'm guessing it'll be of marginal value in general, and absolutely critical in rare circumstances. Developing one vampire into the traditional human thrower roll (Blodge, Pass, Sure hands, Pro + utility skill if he ever makes Legend) seems a reasonable skill path to me.

With Strong Arm he'd be a 2+ passer out to Short Pass range. Would make a two turn score a lot easier vs. a deep kick, especially if you're short on players and don't have an intermediary receiver.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I've tried NoS, not often used it, though he draws enough markers to make the blitz/dodge out extra-difficult, which helps free up others, which is why it hardly gets used. Note: Does not work on pickups, just passing and catching.

I've tried Leader, yeah, it's the best place for Leader in the team, Vamps stay on, but delaying the other skills is maybe not worth it to the team as a whole. Probs just buy another RR.

I've tried Pass, but then some other Vamp or Thrall rolls better AG and suddenly you don't want to pass with your Passer and it's just a wasted skill. I like the option, especially on deep kicks, but probably only later in development on an AG 5 with Sure Hands, and then probably Safe Throw + Strong Arm is better.

Broadly, it's super hard to fit all the blodgepro you want plus the other skills you need. SS/DT on some, faster hitters, agile pickup ones, couple guards is sweet against leapers or big bash. On specific players, at some point, if you really need it, take the double on 4th skill or later only, my experiments says the rest are not really worth it.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

You can create a passing vampire, but you don't have the luxury of keeping vampires off the pitch on defense normally. Defense is what vamps are all about.
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Be careful of a blood lusted vamp who is passing. He drops the ball and flys away before the pass .

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

He doesn't drop the ball if he can bite a Thrall before the pass.
About keeping the Pass Vampire out of the pitch during defence: it's not necessary, you can keep him on the pitch, and use him to punt/pass the ball if you manage to sack the ball carrier.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that, so far.

tussock wrote:
I've tried NoS,[...] Note: Does not work on pickups, just passing and catching.

Yes, I know - worded that badly up there.
asteflix

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Relezite wrote:
You can create a passing vampire, but you don't have the luxury of keeping vampires off the pitch on defense normally. Defense is what vamps are all about.

Honestly, this is the best thing that was said in this thread by the best vampire coach in this threat. So for the OP short answer is no, vampires do not really need doubles. Taking pass would be a luxury, and nerves of steel is plain terrible.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

the only doubles worth taking is leader. From blodge, pro, guard, mighty blow, and stat ups, you don't have any skill upgrades to waste on trivial stuff.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2019 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

asteflix wrote:
Relezite wrote:

Honestly, this is the best thing that was said in this thread by the best vampire coach in this threat. So for the OP short answer is no, vampires do not really need doubles. Taking pass would be a luxury, and nerves of steel is plain terrible.

+1 to that and Matt.
I only have one Vamp who used a double, I chose Pass but only because it was an +ag Vamp

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10176866