20 coaches online • Server time: 03:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So I participate in a blog that discusses the Seahawks and I tried to explain the Superbowl 49 fiasco in BB terms.

Here goes, the play where Russel Wilson throws an interception on a pass intended for Ricardo Lockette to basically end the game:

"Its like asking a skink to catch the ball in two tacklezones. Thats a 5+ roll on a d6 and you dont have Catch on him or a Team Reroll? And the pass itself is a 3+ on a d6 because your thrower is ag4 stunty?

Why not try handing off to your ag4 juggernaut frenzy horns beastman and then blitzing into the endzone? Thats a 2+ on a d6 and then either a 2d6 or 1d6 block dice depending on assists provided by your line and their line? And on a bothdown your juggernaut carries you in for the score?

Y’all need to play Blood Bowl is what Im getting at here. Once you do my analogy will be so apt that youll regret not learning to play earlier in life."
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it is a great initiative, but i dont agree with the classification of this play here. The infamous interception happens in the NFL less than 1:100 instances. I think it is fair to assume the pass was 2+, the catch would have been a 2+, unless for the defender, who used his pass block skill to get into perfect position.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
I think it is a great initiative, but i dont agree with the classification of this play here. The infamous interception happens in the NFL less than 1:100 instances. I think it is fair to assume the pass was 2+, the catch would have been a 2+, unless for the defender, who used his pass block skill to get into perfect position.

The interception mechanism is ridiculous in BB (and anything but analogous to how interceptions work causally or reflect catch odds for the interceptor or even classified similarly by what counts as an interception) and the assumption I make is that the skink failed the catch and scatter fell to a defenser passblock or not. Passblock would be keen but explaining that additional rule would have been more effort than its worth to the audience.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

And read it more closely - russell wilson is ag4 stunty. 3+ pass. Although I can see Ag4 titchy argument now. Ricardo lockette is a skink. Ma8 reflects straight line speed, he was not an average sized wr, he was a speacial teams gunner hence no catch. Ag3 because of above.

Two tzs because kearse didnt win the pick block against browner and malcom butler was on him immedietley. Failed catch rather than interception because of the int mechanism and becaude Lockette could have caught it outright.

Also I love the critique. Really getting it close is fun.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not familiar with the play in question but mixing skinks and beastmen as receiving options for the same ball handler doesn't feel like a perfectly built blood bowl analogy, to be honest.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

pokrjax wrote:
I'm not familiar with the play in question but mixing skinks and beastmen as receiving options for the same ball handler doesn't feel like a perfectly built blood bowl analogy, to be honest.

A 2x+ag frenzy juggernaut saurus? I went with beastman because marshawn lynch has the nickname, Beastmode. He is the analog to the beastman because he plays running back

Here is the play for reference

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nerddsss!
Nerddsss!

<3
Nightbird

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sounds like someone is still....
cheering on his idol TB12 Exclamation Laughing

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe Im a Hawks fan fwiw and we were discussing utilizing players by their talents and putting them in positions to win.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. Looking at that one play outside the larger context of the game skews the analogy.

It was 2nd down with 26 seconds to go and 1 timeout left after a run on first down ate up a huge chunk of the clock to not leave Tom Brady any time for a miracle after Seattle scored.

If Seattle runs and doesn't score, they must use their final timeout to stop the clock and set up their 3rd down play. in that situation they would be forced to throw on 3rd down into a prepared defense, hoping to leave enough time on an incompletion for a 4th down try.

If Seattle passes (running a slant route) the likely outcomes are a touchdown or an incompletion. If incomplete, they can now run on 3rd down and if that fails, call timeout to set up their best 4th down play.

And gaining one yard was no guarantee. The Patriots twice earlier in the game forced punts on 3rd-and-1 when Lynch failed to pick up the 1st down.

My analogy would be a situation where the opponent has a one-turn scorer and you have 3 turns to stall out before scoring to win/end the match. A defender makes a 6+ dodge into your cage/screen, pops the ball loose and it bounces all they way across several players into a defender's hands.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

All I know is LaDainian Tomlinson definitely had AG5 and Leap.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2018 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

All I know is that Keenum hit a 4+ pass, Diggs had a 3+ catch and then Williams double skulled the blitz

Post   Posted: May 25, 2018 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that offensive play fail would be most analagous to a coach fail in BB, rather than amazing defence or luck. Coach chose an option for a pass rather than something like a 2db and a gfi.
Or chose Pro instead of Dodge and wanted to dodge. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 25, 2018 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ndamukong Suh
Nose Tackle
Los Angeles Rams
MA 6 ST 4 AG 2 AV 8
Block
Tackle
Mighty Blow
Dirty Player
Sneaky Git
+1 to any ejection roll.
Irgy

Post   Posted: May 25, 2018 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

For a game designed around NFL you'd think there would be less dispute on how to map the two...

Not knowing NFL at all but watching the video, it looks like the catcher was blitzed after the ball was thrown but before he caught it, which unfortunately BB doesn't really simulate directly.
 Jump to: