33 coaches online • Server time: 14:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Amon242

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

First I want to thank Christer for the time and effort to get the HTML 5 client up and running. I truly belive mobile device spectating and play is a huge step forward for fumbbl and fully support it. What follows is a brief overview of my experience of spectating a GLT match via my iPhone on my commute home from work.

Device = iPhone 6s
Browser = Safari
Data = LTE

My commute is about a 1 hour train ride from downtown Chicago so I have plenty of time to spectate a match. I go through a couple of data "deserts" where I have a very poor connection and data rates plummet, as well as other areas that have excellent connections and data rates are maxed, as such I thought this would be a good test of the client.

The match loaded fairly quickly and jumped right into the match in progress. I took the phone into wide screen mode and the browser adjusted correctly with no loss of resolution or clarity. It was jarring to see all the dice flying around and words popping up above the players heads, but I soon adjusted to what was going on in the match although I didn't have near the information I would have in the Java client. Sound was working fine, but I was in a "Quite Car" and didn't have earbuds handy so turned the volume off. I was able to get the player cards to come up with a hold tap on a player but no information such as skills showed up. I watched the match for a good amount of time with no issues when I had to swap apps to answer and email. When I came back I got a dice storm of the last turn all at once which left an artifact on the pitch.

I reloaded the game and the problem was fixed and the artifact gone. What I though was another glitch turned out that you have to touch the outside of the viewing screen to scroll down in the browser as when I reloaded I could only see 3/4 of the pitch. Once I figured out to touch outside the game I was able to size it up correctly. I was able to spectate the rest of the match with no issues. I know this is a work in progress and some of this is mostly likely in the works, but wanted to offer the following feedback anyway even if it is redundant/not useful:

- Dice fly all over the place, it may be helpful to color code the dice for example, action dice = white / armor dice = green / inj dice = red

- Stunned/Down - I know they are being placed according to tabletop rules(as I remember them) but a clearer indicator would be helpful like the white X

- I hated the flying dice at first - but grew accustomed to it as the match went on to the point by the end I liked it. Still not a fan of the skewed dice presentation, I like them presented even and straight but that is probably me.

- Some sort of animation for KO/BH/SI/KIA - people would disappear from the pitch and I could not tell why

- Like the move tracking for each player during their turn

- Loved the loading "quotes"

All in all for expectations vs delivery I would give it a 10/10 - I was able to spec a match on a mobile device as I rode the train home, can't ask for more.. except for maybe chat functional as I am sure all the specs kept saying "Amon, you there?" "Amon, what is he going to do next" "Amon, why you ignoring me"
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It is fantastic to see Christer is working on this. Running via a web browser, resizing the client, and having no worries on Java messages will be a great boon.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't resize - you can just pinch to zoom in phone which is basically like doing a browser zoom

Currently
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah right. I just had a look. It is fixed within a window rather than being a window itself. A couple of years ago I think the html client someone worked on for a little while was resizable. Hopefully Christer is aiming for that.
Will be good when comments gets on too.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 22:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You can full-screen on anything but iOS. For iOS, there is a workaround for full-screening, but it involves some pretty techy nonsense (oauth authentication and bookmarking the page to the launcher).

Chat is on my todo, but I honestly don't know if I will be able to make it possible to chat with a mobile device.. That's pretty complicated stuff, but at least you'll be able to read what other people write.
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 22:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, clicking the gray button bottom left will expand the game to the full window, so that will help a bit..
Kaze

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a forum where it shows you how to spec on a phone?
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2018 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/phaserapp#

Just follow the link and click spectate, that is all.
 Jump to: