44 coaches online • Server time: 11:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 11:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Coach roante recently posted about a name generator extension he had put together, which to me was pretty cool and got me thinking. I approached him about it and after a quick chat he was happy for me to integrate the name generator natively to the site.

Now, I didn't want to implement it directly as-is since I wanted to allow support for different gender players (which is a feature that has been available on the site for quite a while), so I took roante's work and did an adaptation for it.

Now, for various reasons, I have chosen to not take *all* of the generators he had in his project and I also chose to implement it server-side rather than in a client-side javascript.

So how does this work? Well, it's pretty simple. When you open up the dialog to buy a player, the player name will have a "placeholder" name already in place. Not typing anything in this box will use the placeholder name instead. You choose the position, gender and number and buy the player. The process should be pretty obvious.

Now, for the more technically minded, I added the name generator as a public API endpoint:

https://fumbbl.com/api/name/generate

This will generate a random name, using the "default" generator. As you may imagine, there are other non-default generators as well, for example:

https://fumbbl.com/api/name/generate/orc

In addition to this, you can specify a gender, which some generators take into account (Valid genders are "male", "female" and "neutral"):

https://fumbbl.com/api/name/generate/amazon/male

And finally, a list of available generators is available through:

https://fumbbl.com/api/name/list

As you can probably see, there are a limited amount of name generators and I'm looking for ideas for adding more of them. An idea here wouldn't be "add one for race X", but more details about how to generate suitable names for that race, separated by gender if that applies and links to suitable name lists (the current generators has somewhere around 7-8000 name parts total).

Also, please let me know if you run into unsuitable names (offensive or names of extremely prominent characters from fantasy literature; we're talking Legolas prominency here, not just some random side-character in a random fantasy novel).
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

This is pretty cool stuff, as I was loosely aware that having to go to the trouble of naming players was a slight barrier for one or two.

Great work!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the implementation of the name generator!
Just an observation: Amazons' names should be female-only names by default, and so Witch Elves' names.
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 12:53
FUMBBL Staff

For amazons and witch elves, I assumed they were set to female by default. I'll double-check the ruleset though to make sure.

If they're not, it's a bug.
Timetis

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Lovely new feature. Cheers Chister and roante.

Do the new name lists apply to newly generated loners too? Or is George Darkhammer here to stay?
roante

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

YAAAAY! Spotlight! Thanks for the highlight, Christer! Smile

Last edited by roante on Apr 05, 2020 - 09:40; edited 1 time in total
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 15:23
FUMBBL Staff

Timetis wrote:
Do the new name lists apply to newly generated loners too? Or is George Darkhammer here to stay?

Not yet.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 16:16
FUMBBL Staff

Trevor Fistcock is doomed.

Awesome work boss.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I love this feature. Thanks a lot.
Badoek

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Great stuff!

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a really great feature. naming Elves is a lot easier now. Thanks Roante / Christer!
grant85

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

so happy to see this added. cheers and thanks!
MercutioT

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2020 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Wonderful little feature. One thing I'd point out (since 'neutral' is an option) is that the current Lizardmen settings default to male, but Lizardmen are not supposed to have gender.
(The Lizardman codex states this explicitly, and the lizardmen stars have always had distinctly androgynous-sounding names)
One more mosaic tile in the quest for perfection....
sann0638

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2020 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

love it. Time for a "silliest autoname" competition. Or "first autonamed legend".

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2020 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

"92 minutes of applause"

Smile

Jump to: