38 coaches online • Server time: 18:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

This is principally a free site. Christer is pushing in his free time how he can. Then it is all about the community what we make out of it. So big part is on us what we make out of it. There are LOT of options with custom rosters! I sense most coaches do not use half the capabilities. I bet most of them do not even know all the options. I suggest a 'librarian' who holds all the best practices, links to training videos, etc would go a very long way.

Also, developing and maintaining leagues is a huge for the future of the site. There is a lot of low hanging fruits that do NOT involve Christer.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

To solve (1) I think Christer would need to monetise the site, because donations aren't enough to cover developer costs.

Donations aren't enough for sure if they are to be refunded Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
The $5k and 50 hours are just arbitrary numbers to show an example.

I believe the CTR would easily be 5% if coaches were aware that ads pay for development. I would happily click on an ad five before each game I played. Smile

I understand my suggestion overlooks and trivialises the complications, but the alternative is what exists now: a long term bug that prevents concessions, and if people are serious about growing FUMBBL, I don't think bugs like this can be acceptable.

It seems to be fine for you. You have just clocked up 1000 games. It seems the bug hasn't prevented you from returning.

Another idea I had.....

Fumbbl Tournaments in real life. Like an old fashioned LAN party.
jdm

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

To take a lot of the onus off of Christer, we should probably think of things we as a community could do for the site. Realistically near none of us will have the know how or time to help with the code and listing things that could only be sorted by Christer places an awful burden on him.

Look at things like the work akaRenton did with his image repository; the work sann has done with the youtube videos; throweck and team with the podcast; rbthma with 145; GLT; the huge NAF tournaments; the sheer number of games BillBrasky has played; secret league; ramchop with the awesome picon expansion project and 12 days of christmas; the success of leagues like WIL, CIBBL, DLE, OBBA and the juggernaut of the SWL; all the work the admins do. The list could keep going. These were all created by volunteers (us) giving our time to give other coaches a better experience on here. For each of these ideas I bet there is more than could be done, different things, that would improve everyone's experience.

But more than that, it's about the attitude that we display both in and out of game. Personally speaking, I love to chat when I'm playing, especially if the other player likes to chat too. If they're new then I'll point out things like labelling players in the client, give advice on skills, show them where the ottd advice is and send them in the direction of 145. I get that chatting is not for everyone, some coaches take the game more 'seriously' than I do. But be nice to people on the forums and when new players ask what they should pick as first skill on a human blitzer for the umpteenth time.

We may not feel it but we are responsible for making these players feel welcome and like they want to stay and spend time here. Getting started with fumbbl can be quite tough, it requires a bit of know how (making teams, divisions, getting client to work) but it's a lot easier if you have people who can help you out with those things. On the other hand, if in your first game on the site your opponent is complaing about their dice, complaining about the team you're using and is generally giving you an unpleasant experience, while it may not be rule-breaking behaviour, it's hardly going to make you want to stick around.

We're all here because it's fun for us to play bb and we choose to do that on FUMBBL, imo the best venue to play. We need to be more positive sharing the things that we love about the site and more welcoming to each other as coaches. It's a small enough hobby as it is, I think we need to be as welcoming as possible to everyone and to encourage others to join in by sharing the awesome things that keep us playing here. Shout about it from the rooftops.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 19:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Does the help page need some work?

It's great that anyone can go in and make changes where necessary. e.g. I've just now added the doom diver icon picture to the goblin race guide (pending image approval).

But bigger picture, the Contents page. Everyone will have their preferences on how this should look. As the first page that noobs see when seeking help it's kind of important to get right. So maybe a job for more than individual tinkering.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should establish a "what needs to be done" list for volunteers. We need a small committee willing to manage the list, and someone willing to take on the management (with an eye toward delegation) for each project. Should we formulate this with a new group? Society for Improvement of FUMBBL (SIF, like the goddess) perhaps?

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Great shout on the doom diver for the race guide. Didn't even think about that.

I think that's a good idea JR. Discord would seem the most obvious place. Maybe liase with Throweck as he was creating a server/channel for spreading the good word (about fumbbl).

For example, the guide purplegoo made for getting started is extremely good but there's a few bits in there that could be removed - game names are not required for box or ranked for example

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 20:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

jdmickleburgh wrote:
Great shout on the doom diver for the race guide. Didn't even think about that.

Razmus beat me to it. I just uploaded and added an image.
jdm

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

That's why he won fumbbler of the year (according to Throweck) Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wozzaa wrote:
I think, based on the facebook blood bowl community, a lot of people play against cyanide AI, and are worried about playing real people because they have an almost fear of losing.

I think the data is misleading 'cos it only ever tends to be people sharing screengrabs of how they pitch cleared AI Goblins! Laughing

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Wozzaa wrote:
Desultory wrote:
The $5k and 50 hours are just arbitrary numbers to show an example.

I believe the CTR would easily be 5% if coaches were aware that ads pay for development. I would happily click on an ad five before each game I played. Smile

I understand my suggestion overlooks and trivialises the complications, but the alternative is what exists now: a long term bug that prevents concessions, and if people are serious about growing FUMBBL, I don't think bugs like this can be acceptable.

It seems to be fine for you. You have just clocked up 1000 games. It seems the bug hasn't prevented you from returning.

You talk a lot of crap.
I haven't just clocked up 1000 games Smile
Approx 995 of them were played before the Concession button bug. I left for 2 years. Came back and played approx 6 games recently before I re-realised why I left for 2 years. And I'm leaving again, in part because of the many unfriendly guys in the FUMBBL forums like you.

May I leave you all this thought; whining about people whining is still whining.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to hope people around here would like to improve something, rather than making it worse. Actually this belief, call it optimism made me create this topic. Now, even if my optimism is unwarranted, i still would like to concentrate on the positives, what can we as a community do. Lets create something rather than grief, and insult.
I suggest doing things that we enjoy. I know from my decade long game designing experience that forums are tricky beasts. It is tempting to go for the quick ego boost. But is that really what makes one happy? I doubt. So lets be friendly, and optimistic. Does that sound so bad? (It is fine keeping it rhetoric. I just want to explain and inspire. The rest is personal choice)

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Advertising the site itself is hard, it seems most people need to stay here a while to really appreciate its strengths. Getting new BBers to join FUMBBL and stay is even harder without implementing a buttload of tutorials and other introductory material. I think the best and easiest way to get more people to join FUMBBL and stay is to go on other BB sites whenever your league is nearing a new season and advertise it to Cyanide and TT players. This is something everyone can do if they have any contact with the outside BB world what so ever. Commissioners can easily call for help with this, a league-wide PM and an @everyone on the leagues discord would go a long way to get the players off their butt and help out a bit.

Speaking for myself here, each time I've joined a new site (or new implementation of BB) and stayed it's been because of this type of cross-platform advertisement, and each time I've left its either been because random matchmaking and the occasional tourney only grabs my attention for so long, or because I did join a league that died or was badly run. FUMBBL has a great number of long lived, well run leagues, and getting existing BBers into these leagues for a while will make some of them learn and become comfortable with the site enough to really discover the possibilities. I know some people do this already, but it can always be done more and better, and I really believe its the easiest and cheapest way to recruit.

TL;DR: Good leagues get existing BBers hooked, FUMBBL has a lot of good leagues.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
May I leave you all this thought [...]

Promises, promises.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm lets create a tournament for bb2 coaches. issue a challenge to all of them, invite them here, and very politely beat the crap out of them... äh play with them. Those worth it, will stay to fumbbl more. what do you think?
 Jump to: