44 coaches online • Server time: 15:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2019 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

So I got the noodle turning last night while I lay restless in bed - what do I really enjoy and not enjoy about BB as a life's hobby?

Favorite parts:

1. No two games are the same. The replayability factor for me is sky high.

2. You get back what you put in with understanding the parameters of the game. I have seen personal growth in how I play the game and to an extent that's because I've tried to learn what does and doesn't work and when those moments of prima facie bad ideas are in fact brilliant ideas (I'm still not great at getting the mix right but I try to get better each time)

3. Building your team to your specs with peril lurking around every corner. It can be a real gut punch to have your flagship getting beaten to a pulp but the reward of guiding them back to their flagship status is immense.

4. It can help you understand yourself better and how you react to adversity. If you find yourself getting hot and bothered by the outcome of a game, does this reflect on other things in your life as well? Do you take happenstance to be personal? Is this healthy?

5. The community of lunatics and maniacs that choose to play the game. You guys are a hoot from all walks of life doing your thing here. Yes, we tend to skew towards a certain 'type' but even within that 'type' there are curious and interesting coaches lurking all about with their experiences informing their actions and approaches. I find it fascinating and the social aspect always keeps me coming back.

Least Favorite:

1. Removing one's own agency from the game. Yes, this is a game of dice but the proverb "You can't control the wind but you can adjust your sails" is the lifeblood of sailing the BB seas. Thinking you did everything possible right and still losing stunts growth. Even if it is a totally crummy situation you can still walk away with a lesson in how to deal with crummy situations.

2. Not enough people share the hobby and passion. Pretty obvious.

3. Dogmatic approaches. Some folks think they have it all figured out. I don't think we've done anything more than scratch the surface of insight and wisdom with BB.

4. The obsession I have with BB where I am kept up late at night thinking about the future of various teams, specific matchups, how I approach a specific situation or what I would do differently. Yes, I am the Chidi of BB.

5. Hardman syndrome. Yes, you have to be a lunatic or maniac to choose this as hobby. But leading with "BB ain't for wusses, git gud" deprives potential new entries of a lot of underlying awesomeness within BB. Yes, BB isn't for everyone but it can be so much more than just a game you play to validate your own game playing perception of yourself.

Those are my thoughts at the moment - yours?
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2019 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Good team building/skills choice etc.
Bad frustration with the dice!

Can't have one without the other Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2019 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyrus-Havoc wrote:
Good team building/skills choice etc.
Bad frustration with the dice!

Can't have one without the other Smile

"Nuffle, why you giving me nothing but normals here. I need me some damn MB!"

PREACH!
Sharkrudi

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

you forget that just one game is playable and interesting on 5

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

sharkrudi wrote:
you forget that just one game is playable and interesting on 5

Yeah, I tend to think about 2/9 games are completely out of reach for you or your opponent cause of diceskis and about 4/9 could go either way.
Sharkrudi

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

yes it's possible

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Favorite:
- This welcoming community we're a part of

Least Favorite:
- French and Italian coaches
delusional

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Favourite:
awesome community.
Totally agreed, the Randomness is great.
The comedy of it. Somehow BB floats on the Hilarious side of my Hilarous/Stupid boundary.
Balancedish with variety. You could still see any similar TV team beat another similar TV team.

Least Favourite:
Block/dodge cookie cutter skill choice. Even with throwers, often the best first skill choice is Block!

The Nurfing of Stand firm, Foul Appearance (ok nurf it as it's a limited skill). Seriously why make the less picked skills suck more.

Lack of positionals for Goblin and Halfling teams. Seriously does it really hurt to give Halflings a thrower, blocker or catcher? Do you think Halflings would win A lot more with these players? Make them fun! Goblins should be able to have all the Goblin Cheater players with their normal roster. Cmon they would still loose but they would be epic.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Favorites:
1 - 93.7% of the coaches are great chaps and make games more than just the pixels/score
2 - Being able to customize players and teams making the hobby more than just w/D/L
3. - Admins who volunteer time in their lives from tournaments to leagues to general effort on the site

Least Favorites:
1. - Silent opposing coaches
2. - Extremely slow opposing coaches
3. - Extremely slow opposing coaches that complain when timed out
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Favourite in no particular order
1 - the game
2 - most of the coaches
3 - the customisation options
4 - the many ways this site allows you to play the game, whether you want casual pick up games, more min maxed no hold barred games, leagues, tourney, secret league. Its all great!

least favourite
1 - slow players
2 - how self entitled some people are
3 - slow players

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2019 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

favorite:
- Complex game-mechanics, rosters, background-story encouraging various approaches to the game, i.e. fluff-oriented teams, various tactics & strategies, metas & anti-metas, etc.
- Geekiness, it's so fun if you're a little into statistics, numbers, team-building, etc.
- One game at a time approach with an endless number of ways to extend the experience to tourneys, multi-year-league involvement, etc.

least favorite:
- Sometimes too extreme outcomes of dicerolls, that really cannot be met by any tactic, i.e. Legends dying because of 1 gfi, failed apo, etc. (while the game *is* in essence a parody of "real" physics in a way (which i like!), it still seems too extreme for a sure-feet Legend not being able to control his pace such that [s]he can die of running a bit too fast with no opponent in the vicinity whatsoever / having players die pre-drive due to fans throwing rocks, etc.). This does not include randomness, that's been chosen by either coach (i.e. playing multiple bone-headed Ogres, etc.) and have limited scope (i.e. one turn) that can be somewhat anticipated in a meaningful way (like Blitz!-event, etc.).
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2019 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The Good: Elves
The Bad: Dorfs
The Ugly: Nuffle

Jump to: