13 coaches online • Server time: 05:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wolbum

Post 3 Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be attending a competition soon which allows 1150 TV (including inducements) and preset skill packs. In this case, 6 normals and 2 doubles.

Restrictions for using these skills are:
- no more than two of the same skill
- no player can have more than one extra skill

I have this as my foundation

Ripper
2 Trolls - Guard and Block
Pogo - sure feet
1 looney - dodge
9 gobbos - 2 diving tackle, sneaky git (welcome alternatives) and 1 block
3 rr
1 FF

Exactly 1150 TV.

My only major conundrum is if to swap the pogo stick for the doom diver. While I have fairly positive experience with the pogo, I also can just as well foot slog without him.

In contrast I have little to no proper experience with the doom diver but am aware with Ripper could save a game, potentially.

My other is the 14 man roster. I considered dropping a reroll to get my team to 15 and drop a double (goblin or troll with block) to give leader. This however also sacrifices what little reliability I have.

Any suggestions regarding this lineup?
AiThebuffycat

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

drop the block goblin imo, and the looney, if you want a chainsaw shell out for nabla as a blodge chainsaw is really powerful, and he's still down cost in terms of skills. if you can pick the doubles put sure hands on the pogo as its a more useful skill that shores up your ball handling very well
.so I would suggest

Ripper 270
2 Trolls - Guard and Block 220
Pogo - sure hands 70
doomdiver-dodge 60
1 Nobbla blackwart 130
9 gobbos - 2 diving tackle, 2 sidestep 280
2 rr 120

Or drop a gob and the pogo grab a bomba with Hail marry and a bribe
Endrophil

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not put a skill on the chainsaw, fanatic is a must for me and the doom diver is also nice to have with catch. Wouls not choose sneaky git as well.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the fanatic was the correct choice rather than saw. But put block on the fanatic rather than a line gobbo. He should be effective.
Doomdiver definitely worth considering.
15th player probably not worth sacrifices.
Bribe is good but I suppose need 1200+ for that.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I deffo wouldn't take sneaky git, its a bit crap.

Wrestle over block might be worth considering for half dice blocks on ball carriers, and I would consider break tackle on a troll over guard. Break tackle is a nice threat to have.

No definitive answers here other than avoiding sneaky git.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
I think the fanatic was the correct choice rather than saw. But put block on the fanatic rather than a line gobbo. He should be effective.
Doomdiver definitely worth considering.
15th player probably not worth sacrifices.
Bribe is good but I suppose need 1200+ for that.

The looney is the saw, not the fanatic Razz. I prefer the saw as i have more control.

I may try the doomdiver on here just to see but has anyone here used one to much success?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It is certainly worth packing a Doom Diver, especially at 1.15. The OTS maths are pretty good.

A lot of people have not picked up yet that the best way of scoring with him (if you need to in one turn) is to run forward before the TTM and have the Troll throw the DD into an end zone square (you can control the scatters in this case). Defending that is much harder than the throw, land, dodge through TZs that we’re all used to.

Roster and skills wise, I’d do plenty different. But it’s most important you have fun, and Goblins are clearly a bit pants, so develop your own way. I blogged about my most recent Goblin experience over at theTacklezone, so more thoughts here if you are interested / in need of sleep.
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Does that mean you want a strong arm troll?
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

ben_awesome wrote:
Does that mean you want a strong arm troll?

No

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2019 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
It is certainly worth packing a Doom Diver, especially at 1.15. The OTS maths are pretty good.

A lot of people have not picked up yet that the best way of scoring with him (if you need to in one turn) is to run forward before the TTM and have the Troll throw the DD into an end zone square (you can control the scatters in this case).

Isn't that risky in that you need your last scatter to get you right on the end zone? I guess you would often scatter in to the endzone and then scatter out again?
But of course I may be very wrong with that. Still better than the normal TTM.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2019 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

With the DD, you control the direction and it’s D3, like moving a Fanatic. So you know you are throwing him exactly 9 squares forwards.

So long as you make sure you can’t go over a sideline, you can hit the end zone dead on.
amazingprizzini

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

that's a brilliant idea.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's good because it forces your opponent to either (a) backline, so a doom diver ttm is harder, but the normal ttm is easier or (b) setup as normal and watch you float over him if your dice are good.

But also the DD means you can setup your DD slightly behind the LOS and still have a reasonable option if there's a deep kick.

The little fellah really does add a LOT to goblins, even if it is still, fittingly for the roster, unreliable.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, everything is so unreliable for them. But it makes a super unreliable option slightly less unreliable, which is insanely important for the little mischief makers.
Wolbum

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2019 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ended up not taking the doom diver and went pogo. Swapped sneaky git for catch. Ended up going 1-3-1 over the weekend. Didn't come last and only lost a game, so fairly happy. Ripper was awesome!
 Jump to: