45 coaches online • Server time: 17:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:

This thread is starting to make me very uncomfortable.

Uncomfortable, yet is that not a reasonable emotional reaction to the magnificent pitch art that is not only being submitted, but reviewed here? Many of us would like simple, easily understood graphic representations of our teams, but should we allow this to happen? Should not every Blood Bowl team logo inspire us to think.. to feel... to be? Is turning ones back on this complex and evolving art form not similar to the average civilians complicity in war crimes? We must feel uncomfortable and we must let this medium make us feel uncomfortable so that one day... some day... we can feel comfort... just once.

Last edited by Happy_Amateur on Mar 12, 2020 - 08:29; edited 1 time in total
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
Interestingly we haven't heard back from the client who commissioned these works. I suppose it opens the debate - can it be considered art if it is created for a specific purpose or commercial enterprise? Or should art only ever be a communication between the artist and the audience without external pressures dictating it's content.

I'll have to wait until tommorow to critique that new addition to the collection. I will have had time for me to digest it's content

Indeed C0ddlefish. One must debate these points most thoroughly... but the true question is will one reach a conclusion?

"Commercial art is a business. It is bought mostly for business purposes, and its cost is entered as a business expense on any company’s books. Take a certain company that uses art in certain army manuals, yet artist credits are no longer given. Because artwork is a competitive product that serves a business function, it should be promoted and sold in the most businesslike manner possible. But it is also something much more.” So wrote Fred Charles Rodewald (well...most of it) in 1954 for his book Commercial Art as a Business.

It is more than likely most of you never heard of Rodewald as I have because I am a balls out amazing Pitch Art critic MBE OBE (note the capital letters for Pitch Art.Yes. This is a thing now.). Yet he served as a very important role model. Rodewald was primarily an illustrator, which included the art of lettering. He took it seriously. In fact, he advocated for commercial artists’ rights to be professional — a pioneer in fair labor practices, you might say — and a leader of the Artists Guild of New York. In 1954 he wrote and illustrated Commercial Art as a Business (Viking Press), a guide to the practical concerns of earning a living as a commercial artist. As the purpose of our Pitch Art is to please the owner of said Pitch Art, and is representative of his or her team, yet the commercial transaction is basically a donation to enable it to continue being displayed for many years to come, is there that commercial value involved? Is there actually external pressures dictating the quality? Does anybody actually read this far? How will my family handle my desire to become a transexual prostitute?
In summary ; Yes and a resounding no. Oh. And I have heard back from the client. So... ummm.. yeah. Suppose I better do some work before my boss catches me.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly let's review Kondor's submission. At first glance it seems to be a whimsical piece depicting a lazer-cat creating the classic 'dub-skulls' GFI fail. At surface level is something I imagine we can all related to.

The genius in work is that, like all great humour, behind it surely lies a serious statement. The use of a cat to represent Nuffle is intriguing. Do we fall back to the age old tradition of the feline form being a surrogate for femininity?

The monochrome nature of the image causes the viewer to instantly cast their mind back to yesteryear. In doing so it helps to reiterate that this toxic masculinity should have already been condemned to the past.

The duality of the image is intoxicating. Do you laugh along with it, or is it willfully deconstructing the patriarchal society that we all help to propagate?
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh, C0ddlefish. Such assumptions. You assume that the cate represents Nuffle. Did you ever consider that the cat may be one of the Servants of Nuffle? You sir are not looking deeply enough.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

So if your hinting at females in servitude to Nuffle, then the I'd argue I'm right about patriarchal bias and commend the importance of your work in helping to try and address this issue
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:

The duality of the image is intoxicating. Do you laugh along with it, or is it willfully deconstructing the patriarchal society that we all help to propagate?

Indeed the duality of this image is intoxicating as well as intriguing. Leaving alone at first the fact that the artist Kondor calls the creature cate, (obviously a play on words amalgamating the household name for the domisticatus felis catus and the Antipodean word mate, which we all hope Nuffle in his infinite wisdom will be to us) we must put aside all preconceived notions that this creature is a representation of the god of Blood Bowl. Or should we. Perhaps it is but perhaps it is us. And by us I mean the player. As much as we would like to blame the omnipotent sky cat of dice for the snakes we roll, are we not the ones truly to blame... did we not choose to succumb to the greed and just push it that one extra square further. Do we not desperately ignore sure feet as a built in reroll just to add more devastating attack skills to our players. Is our bloodthirsty nature symbolised here as a malevolant feline with the evil paw power of Nuffles tripwire. Or perhaps Kondor is simply saying that any coach that plays human is a massive pussy... *ahem*... coward? Only Kondor knows and I for one am comfortable with that.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

While not team logo's in the classical sense I give you too other efforts.

What are Calins anyway?

Clearly Darwin at work.

Or an alternative. Probably a better representation though the stooges fan in me causes me to smile at the first of these two options for Darwin's Law.

Last edited by Kondor on Mar 12, 2020 - 21:40; edited 2 times in total
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn't considered it that way but what a wonderful illustration of the importance of art. As Oscar Wilde once said "Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known" and I can see that both in the expression of the creator and the independent interpretation of each beholder.

Edit: the palpable tension waiting for Kondor's next entries to be approved and revealed is almost unbearable
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:

Edit: the palpable tension waiting for Kondor's next entries to be approved and revealed is almost unbearable

May I recommend tapping an administrator on the shoulder. I am off to bed and will see the critique sometime tomorrow,
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.

Carl Jung
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2020 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2020 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor's Calins !!
Another fascinating work referring back perhaps 2500 to 3000 years to the origins of the Mapuche culture. "To greet !!" demonstrates an wonderful take on the changing priority of mankind over the last 3 centuries. The Mapudungun culture of 600BC occupied with growth, improvement and love, whilst modern man dolefully forced to slave away for a meagre dollar. It can be no coincidence that the formative figure is shown as more ape-like. Whilst not historically accurate, it allows us to see a terrifying parody. We like to think we are now more advanced, but at an primordial level who has it better? The classic question - what really makes us happy? This is illustrated masterfully when comparing the two parallel paintings - one jovial and full of hope, the other structured, uniform and dare I say dull.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2020 - 14:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

What y'all need really are some of my 'patented' PAINT logos. 98% done in MS Paint (backgrounds removed by paint.net no less) and all within a median time of 20 minutes and less (I take breaks and do other things).

You get no say on any part of the logo but it is guaranteed to make waves in the waviest sort of wave.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2020 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I can attest to the strength of Lorebass' logos. Help your team win! Win with paint!
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2020 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
What y'all need really are some of my 'patented' PAINT logos. 98% done in MS Paint (backgrounds removed by paint.net no less) and all within a median time of 20 minutes and less (I take breaks and do other things).

You get no say on any part of the logo but it is guaranteed to make waves in the waviest sort of wave.

It is fabulous that FUMBBL has its own Denny Dent, and I especially laud the clarity of maintaining your own artistic integrity. As reputed philosopher Lars Ulrich once said:

"Doing things the way you see it, going by your own heart and soul, that is pure artistic integrity. Whether the hair is six or sixty inches long, the eyes have make-up or not, the riffs are in 'E' or 'F' sharp, the amps are Marshall or not, all those things don't matter if you are doing it for the right reason, which to me means doing it for yourself!!"

I even enjoy the befitting arrogance of an artist so bold in their claims of greatness. Would anyone know who Gustave Courbet was, if he hadn't insisted on telling everyone himself. Furthermore I relish the challenge of having to hunt out these works myself. What better way to entice the audience in, than by making them work for their reward
 Jump to: