43 coaches online • Server time: 13:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2020 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

(Space taken)
grant85

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2020 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks so much to the NAF Live team for a wonderful event. It was a lot of fun to take part. I really appreciate all the hard work and effort of 'goo and the team to organize this massive weekend of bb. As a table top player that regularly went to a NAF tourney each month with a good group of coaches it feels really nice for all of us to come together, watch each others games, trash talk, and play some good old bb. cheers and much thanks!
Padster61

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2020 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

grant85 wrote:
Thanks so much to the NAF Live team for a wonderful event. It was a lot of fun to take part. I really appreciate all the hard work and effort of 'goo and the team to organize this massive weekend of bb. As a table top player that regularly went to a NAF tourney each month with a good group of coaches it feels really nice for all of us to come together, watch each others games, trash talk, and play some good old bb. cheers and much thanks!
Seconded by me. My first online tournament. Looking forward to the next one.
grant85

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2020 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just one quick question: why were some TZ groups broken up into a,b,c groups? Is that a fumbbl thing so it is more manageable? There have been plenty of very large bb NAF tourneys where the swiss works with big groups. It was just a bit of a bummer that a few of my bb buddies were in a different group than me. Not sure if any other tt coaches found this. Had a great time all the same but just wondering. thanks
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2020 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hope you don’t mind a copy / paste from Discord, Grant:

‘A single large group is good in some ways, but not in others. All in it together is fun, but there's more chance of not getting a proper winner and having to do tie breaker countbacks, and it removes one of the great advantages of Swiss (i.e. you can have an unlucky game and you're still in it) and makes it essentially a KO. There is an optimum number for a Swiss tournament, and I think it's 40 odd, but I can stand a few more at a push.’

(I should say here that this is up to Foad, this was just my answer on the day.)
sebco

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2020 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Would say I understand both points of view.

Last week-end, some of my french mates were in my group, but most of them were in other groups. That would have been great fun to all compete in the same group.

That said, I started with a game loss. In a bigger group (example below), it would have mean I had 0 chance to win the tourney. In this 46 coachs group, everything was still possible. I then had been lucky enough to have 5 wins and that was a great motivation to run for possible tourney win (even if, finally, Dirold had a 5-1-0 and my 5-0-1 wasn't enough).

1st NAF online tourney, Fumbbl Road to NAFC 2015, was a big group tourney. We were more than 260 coachs in a unique group. I won my first game, had a draw in my 2nd game, and that was already finished for tourney win after 2 games. I finally had a lucky 5-1-0 and I've been only 4th, 5th or even 6th (I don't remember well). That's a bit frustrating in my opinion.