49 coaches online • Server time: 17:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mekutata

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

So some collected thoughts on BB2020 changes and how they might influence online play.
The new skill system reminds me of mobile phone games. Maybe in Cyanide you will be able to spend real money to raise that.
I personally don't like it at all, rolling for new skills has been a too exciting part of the BB experience. Simple, effective and fun. Tinkering to make some unpopular skills more popular would have made more sense IMO.
But at least I will experience what older Coaches did with previous big rule changes.

I am pretty sure that the seasons were also created with Cyanide's future champion ladder system in mind (their "box" with random match making). So probably it will make sense to use the same system here?

Having said that I believe a division with no seasons would make a lot of sense and be appreciated by a lot of older fumbbl Coaches. It would also allow to keep old teams active. Call it Legends or Endless division. Give them maybe their own major so they still have something to work for.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 14:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
The best thing I heard yet is mister__joshua's idea, posted on page 28, where every team may only play one competitive season per 'major season', which would be like a 2 months real time span, after which everybody redrafts. It certainly has its own downsides, but it is the first time I felt like it fits. It would be the same season for all, I think that is important.

Thanks. The idea has been compared to the BB2 Championship Ladder but as a non-BB2 player I have no idea how that works. Are they limited on number of games or just timed periods of play?

I’ve been thinking about whether it would be acceptable for teams in the Exhibition division to continue gaining Spps and Winnings, provided they have to rebuy with a cap when they enter the Competitive division. This would then function very similarly to Ranked and Box to now. Ranked would essentially remain unchanged, but all competitive tournaments would move to Box and teams could switch between the 2 divisions. This would be a little open to abuse compared to the original suggestion of it switching to non-progression, but I don’t feel it’s so egregious that (if it keeps people happy) it couldn’t work.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

FWIW

Uedder wrote:
From what I understand this "season" thing isn't optional as someone claimed. It's a rule like Spiralling Expenses was. It's the way BB is meant to be played if your team plays more than just 1 game.

So, "should B and R implement it?" isn't even a question. It's gonna be implemented as with the other rules. That's what I understood.

How to implement it then becomes a huge, huge question. The timed thing (a new season with a new major) would be really cool, but it's not going to work.

So it has to be a given number of games. Just make a season 100 games and we'll barely notice it. Make it 10 games and it's perpetual RRR.

Vintage 2016.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Rawlf wrote:
The best thing I heard yet is mister__joshua's idea, posted on page 28, where every team may only play one competitive season per 'major season', which would be like a 2 months real time span, after which everybody redrafts. It certainly has its own downsides, but it is the first time I felt like it fits. It would be the same season for all, I think that is important.

Thanks. The idea has been compared to the BB2 Championship Ladder but as a non-BB2 player I have no idea how that works. Are they limited on number of games or just timed periods of play?

Hmm this would likely only work for a small number of coaches. I think christers idea is better in linking it to a number of games played. Some coaches might only play 2 games in a 3 months, then for them to be forced into a redraft next time they play would be absurd.

A better idea is run 3 league tables in this new competitive division we will call C.

C works basically as Blackbox does now, but with some incentives to play more games.

The 3 league tables can be called gold, silver and bronze leagues.

They would each record 15 games played by a team and show a league table of the most successful teams in each 3 month period.

Bronze would be for teams that were in their first ever "Season" (in other words a teams first ever 15 games)

Silver would be for teams in their 2nd and 3rd "Seasons", (their 16th to 45 games).

Gold would be for teams in their 4th "season" and on. 46 games plus.

This way ^ you would have a competition each quarter for teams to play towards for the people that play LOADS of games.

Where as people that like to dip in and out can do so as they like, and their teams personal "Season" will only end when they hit 15 games, even if it takes these part time coaches a year to get to 15 games.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
They would each record 15 games played by a team and show a league table of the most successful teams in each 3 month period.

Better count the best season of each team than 15 games, otherwise teams that play a lot would end up counting only games where they are at their best TV range.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
Garion wrote:

Better count the best season of each team than 15 games, otherwise teams that play a lot would end up counting only games where they are at their best TV range.

I'm not sure what you mean? A "Season" is 15 games, then the team is forced to de-draft for Season 2 (their next 15 games) or park in wait for a KO tournament to start.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

That is only for Bronze, and in a limited way Silver. In Gold, the team stays in the same division season after season so a team better at low TV that plays 5 seasons could make the leaderboard with the first 3 games of each season if you count any 15 games. That would distort the competition.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Season based on real life time span makes no sense, it must be based upon number of game played.
Otherwise more active coaches could play way more games than others.
Also, the redraft gold is earned through a limited number of games played.
Traul

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The league tables should use the rulebook league scoring system with bonus points for touchdowns, perfect defenses and casualties. That would reward more flamboyant play.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 18:07
FUMBBL Staff

Garion wrote:
Hmm this would likely only work for a small number of coaches. I think christers idea is better in linking it to a number of games played. Some coaches might only play 2 games in a 3 months, then for them to be forced into a redraft next time they play would be absurd.

It wouldn’t work for everyone, but I think it would be better for the majority. My suggestion was 10 game seasons in 3 months. That’s less than a game a week if you’re only running 1 team. Even most casual coaches can manage that. If it’s 15 games that’s not much more.

@MattDakka: that’s not what I proposed, it would be based on both.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Traul

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It is not just about the time budget. What if someone gets bored playing the same team for 10 games in a row?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 18:49
FUMBBL Staff

You wouldn’t have to?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
It is not just about the time budget. What if someone gets bored playing the same team for 10 games in a row?

Do you even fumbbl bro?
Traul

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Do you even fumbbl bro?

Why should it matter? Are you not able to parse arguments at face value without knowing who said them?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
ClayInfinity wrote:
Do you even fumbbl bro?

Why should it matter? Are you not able to parse arguments at face value without knowing who said them?

I was making a joke... clearly missed its mark.

In serious response, who is saying you need to play 1 team for a season for 10 (or 15?) games in a row.

Create a team of every race and play what you like... not sure what your point is?
 Jump to: