16 coaches online • Server time: 03:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2020 - 23:51
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

A new thread for feedback on the latest "Current Thinking" blog post. Be kind please.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the communication and dedication Christer!
SkittleMosaic

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Great blog, I love the really simple DF change Smile

The main thing that jumps out to me is the spp conversion rates. As it calculates how far away you are from a random stat, the multiplier on your current spp is really strong at lower levels;
0 skills: 3x
1 skill: 2x
2 skills: 1.6x
3 skills: 1.4x
4 skills: 1.28x
5 skills: .5x
6 skills: -

So a rookie with 5 spp will convert to 15 spp so they are still 17% from a random stat, and that player is only 20k to rebuy with up to 3 skills post-conversion. Getting as many players to 5 (and 15 as they will have 18 extra spp post-conversion) spp as possible could get you a lot more skills after the rebuy than the average team. It does get mitigated somewhat by the auto WTR but I still think you very much come out ahead.

Edit: I guess my thought is what is the advantage of doing this over a 1:1 conversion rate?

Last edited by SkittleMosaic on Nov 30, 2020 - 01:16; edited 2 times in total
Dutchlife

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you! I'd love to see little things updated over time instead of getting everything perfect and released at once some time next year. Maybe seasons with current teams, or updated rosters added/removed, or new kickoff events updated (especially for Blitz and Perfect D).

Post in Discord if you ever need some manual labour to help speed things along!
tussock

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Just looking at the SPP conversion intention (pielover beat me to it!).

That's a bit generous, I think. Sort of a free double for taking players through that are nearly on a skill. Targeted MVPs mean you can bank way easier in current, so I think just normal SPP difference would be good up to superstar, and then half the margin for superstars (which, at that point, generosity is not too bad).

Then just hard cap it for players who lose a skill in translation, if it's then too high.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that it affects me; but I don't get at the end why conversion to L would only be available for Slann teams; it seems like migration should be allowed for any who want it; that being the easiest way to preserve a team in the old style.

I'd wish we had more playtesting before settling on the exact values to use for redrafting.

I also wish there were more info on waht the new rules will entail; hopefully that will come in time for those of us who haven't tried reading the leak and don't have a copy. It's still so hard to have a good sense of what to do when I don't know what many of the basic rules are to be.

I do worry about banked spp's; there's always issues with 'gamey' tactics, and I was never fond of minmaxing. It seems like banked spp's may be part of the new optimal minmaxing.
steinerp

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for all you do. I hope you reconsider allowing teams to move to league. A huge amount of history (and potentially players) will be lost if teams belong to coaches that are not interested in redrafting are forced into retirement.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

@Christer I guess I got two questions:

Q: Will a converted BB2016 player's number of games impact its re-draft cost in the first, and/or subsequent re-drafts?

Q: Could you remind us again how the number 1350 TV was reached as the hard cap?

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a kickstarter so that coaches can buy their teams out of "Competitive" divistion? Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Blog rated 6. All the massive efforts appreciated.

Will it be possible for coaches to put some teams into a holding pattern somewhere else, in case BB2025 brings back a 'big team' rule-set? Like a 'purgatory division', where you sit at 2600 TV and can't play?

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:

Will it be possible for coaches to put some teams into a holding pattern somewhere else, in case BB2025 brings back a 'big team' rule-set? Like a 'purgatory division', where you sit at 2600 TV and can't play?

Probably the best way would be to have two buttons on each team page that prompts a coach to take an action on his team before they play.

Button 1: Redraft and move to C Division
Button 2: Move to League Division (irreversible)

To fix your option, you simply never click the button until BB2025 Laughing Laughing
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice!

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Q: Could you remind us again how the number 1350 TV was reached as the hard cap?

Click on the blog above, then Current Thinking Rev 2 on the right hand side

Basically it means no matter how well or badly a season goes your redraft limit will be likely somewhere between 1250 and 1350
Strider84

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Christer,

all decisions look reasonable as always.

some valid points on the SPP comments, but at the end of the day won't make much difference because I expect most people will just start new teams except the truly legendary teams that have a history and for these, it's fine to give them a bit of love since people put a lot of effort in them and they bring some value to the Fumbbl.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
The_Murker wrote:

Probably the best way would be to have two buttons on each team page that prompts a coach to take an action on his team before they play.

Button 1: Redraft and move to C Division
Button 2: Move to League Division (irreversible)

To fix your option, you simply never click the button until BB2025 Laughing Laughing

+1

Ideal Laughing

Jump to: