55 coaches online • Server time: 18:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Considering that throwing the ball is rare in BB2016 it should not make a big difference in BB2020

'Because Passing was so difficult before that it was rarely attempted, it doesn't matter that it was made worse...' seems like strange logic. For me passing is more important on defense even than on offense.. Strip, scoop and score. Otherwise it's just the defensive stall. Sad
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing being worse will probably affect new players who don't realise it is a poor strategy the most.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems that they're trying to suck the fun out of the game.

Why make it so that some players cannot pass at all?

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:

'Because Passing was so difficult before that it was rarely attempted, it doesn't matter that it was made worse...' seems like strange logic. For me passing is more important on defense even than on offense.. Strip, scoop and score. Otherwise it's just the defensive stall. Sad

Don't get me wrong. I think that passing in BB2020 should have been improved, but it didn't.
So, let's face reality and keep on playing like we did till now. I understand and I agree that running the ball is not as fun as passing it, but these are the rules, silly, yes, but we must use them. The game is still playable and TD can be still scored by running the ball most of times.
My point was that, unless you want to pass a lot (for fun or other reasons), the game is still playable and you won't notice much the new passing rules.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It seems that they're trying to suck the fun out of the game.

That seems to be their standard operating procedure.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Sad thing is, that adding another stat is also really bad game design, if it doesn't deliver any significant improvement for the gameplay, but you have to remember or reference another value for every player type.
for tabletop at least, in the client it doesn't matter. but it does make the impression that the design was made by computer game designers.

edit:typos
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

BB second edition had more player characteristics yet it was a tabletop game, not a computer game.
Honestly is not that hard to remember the extra PA stat (in tabletop game you have the roster sheet to keep track of stats), but the passing mechanics suck, that's the real issue.
moph

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

i never played 2nd edition , but i think most of us would agree that the designers of the third edition made a very good job, also by removing unnecessary complexity, decreasing the amount of stats.
of course coaches can remember another stat, but why should they if it doesn't make the game better?

What do you think was the design goal for the new passing rules, the intention behind them?

Making the game resemble american football even more, with quarterback like starplayers? probably a bad idea, with the whole team of the opponent trying to kill them.
Not giving elf AG4 teams the possibility of passing and catching with all players?
could have been solved with a different skill set for catching and passing, or changing elf lineman to ag3 (and maybe giving them dodge) Just ideas that would have needed testing of course.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
My point was that, unless you want to pass a lot (for fun or other reasons), the game is still playable and you won't notice much the new passing rules.
And my point is that I do want to pass a lot, or at least have it as a reasonable option. The new rules basically make virtually impossible what was just risky before.

moph wrote:
Making the game resemble american football even more, with quarterback like starplayers?
Wildly inaccurate proves that's NOT the case. I've never seen a QB unintentionally throw the ball 30 yards backward!
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
I've never seen a QB unintentionally throw the ball 30 yards backward!

Not technically a pass, but this is certainly Wildly Innacurate

https://youtu.be/q5qY8FtUtXY

Laughing Laughing
Strider84

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Craftnburn wrote:

Laughing Laughing

haha saw that yesterday as well, wtf was he doing Wink
snorkelwanted

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair though, that ball is deliberately thrown backwards. You'd have to find one that goes forwards in those circumstancesfor it to match the new BB rules. If that exists I'd love to see it!
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Actually that's a really good example of how Wildly Inaccurate should scatter from the Target rather than the thrower since it was technically a 'backward pass'. Wink

Honestly I have a suspicion that WI was originally conceived as scattering d6 from the target as a sort of 'expansion' of the inaccurate pass, but then someone said "that's too close to a punt and too 'advantageous' for the throwing team", so someone then said "ok, to weaken it we'll make it scatter from the thrower" and nobody ever considered if it made any freaking sense!
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Craftnburn wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Now find me a snapper who fires the ball forward into the defense's secondary. Laughing

Side note: As a Brownies fan (and hater of Big Ben) that game was glorious! Would be the best last game of his career. He couldn't even be bothered to try and fall on that ball, no heart left.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2021 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Side note: As a Brownies fan (and hater of Big Ben) that game was glorious! Would be the best last game of his career. He couldn't even be bothered to try and fall on that ball, no heart left.

I'm a Colts fan and I hate the Steelers more than any team in football! (Yes even more than the Patriots!). I can't say I'd mind a Browns SB win!
 Jump to: