48 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will bb2020 changes make you retire from fumbbl?
Never, fumbbl 4eva!
76%
 76%  [ 338 ]
Completely retire
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Retire except still do league
7%
 7%  [ 32 ]
Retire except still do some tournaments
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Undecided
13%
 13%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 443

JohnDaker

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Will people really stop playing Blood Bowl (here or elsewhere) solely because of the rule change? I doubt it.
Will that influence people who were already considering stopping? more likely.

But will that bring people back? For sure. I know at least one person: me.

I stopped playing 5 years ago, mostly because of life - kids and all - not because of the ruleset at the time. I have played on and off since the 1st edition (in the 80s). Hearing news of the new version by chance, reminded me of that game I love, made me buy the box, and I am now trying to get my kids into it as they are possibly at an age they can now play (at least with simplified rules)

Note: doesn't look like there is actually significant changes in the rule. It is mostly another update. (similar to the LRB ones) The core of the game is still the 3rd edition.
stowelly

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Will people quit because smallkosp is no longer viable?

doubtful
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JohnDaker wrote:
Will people really stop playing Blood Bowl (here or elsewhere) solely because of the rule change? I doubt it.
Will that influence people who were already considering stopping? more likely.

But will that bring people back? For sure. I know at least one person: me.

People play blood bowl in different ways.

People who like to retire and restart teams are much less affected.

People who like to build big, long-lived teams are more affected.

People who have less time to play to build their teams are even more affected.

People who like more fluff and wackiness are more affected.

The "Competitive" division will now be dead to many people as it simply does not allow people to do what they most enjoy doing.

The "Competitive" division will be the fastest & easiest place to find a game. There are other options but they are more difficult to find a pickup game.
The more options the are, the more fragmented the user base will be, and finding a game will be even harder.

So, you may be right. There may not be many people quitting purely because of the rules.

People will quit because their way of playing no longer works.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Bigger games have seen an actual divide with players quitting the brand over rules changes, Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition for example directly spawned Pathfinder and also an increased interest in Retro Clones of older editions. Of course this was made possible by (a) the larger player base and (b) the open game license in existence for 3rd edition, both of which Blood Bowl is lacking.

If there was any chance of a CRP clone (with CPOMB fix) gathering a real player base I would jump that train in a heartbeat but that's just not gonna happen, so for better or worse we're stuck with whatever GW decides they can make money with. And personally I find myself getting a bit principled about that company's business policy, I just really hate that they can get away with that and it really kills the mood for me, y'know? Certainly I'm not buying any of their products!
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

@Craftnburn I think you could still play that style especially in that little league you've got going, it might just take you an extra turn to get the ball to a thrower. Why not try before the 'nah, I'm done attitude'

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

stowelly wrote:
Will people quit because smallkosp is no longer viable?

doubtful

I think smallkosp will be the in vogue way to play Pact Teams.

Low TV. 1-2 killers. Low rerolls. Paying to rehire your stars will only push your TV lower.

Sure, you need to groom a replacement killer every few seasons but you can also get a reliable big guy much easier. Get 12 SPP on a big and you are golden every time. No more hoping for a double.

Play 15 games and keep your 1 big guy, 1 killer, and perhaps 1 killer in training. Everyone else will be rookies and you will start with a TV much lower than 1350.

Wash, rinse, and repeat without the worry of playing huge TV differences.

Anyway, that is how I would do it.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/help:BB20ChaosPactSetUp
Marauders lost S access, though, so they need a double to take Mighty Blow.
Also, Clawmb stack is weaker in BB2020.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes.
Rags

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

In the midst of global pandemic and contintent-spanning lockdowns forbidding us going outdoors, coaches are talking about quitting Blood Bowl!?!?!??

Pure crazy talk. Pull yourselves together, find some teams and builds you like, and hit that pitch!
Grasshugger17

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Wozzaa wrote:
tussock wrote:
Expecting to play more, really.

Hoping for an option to regularly reset teams to 1000k all new players, as an alternative to rebuy, and get them into the box trophy and rookie rumbles repeatedly. Smile

That would be fun. Really build a team with history.

Everybodies idea of fun is different. You should be more tolerant.
Grasshugger17

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Which opens up the renegades to take random mutations. I personally think we'll see more 3 big guy renegades because that's their thing now. They look really interesting to me for sure, but I get that everyone is crying because of lost str access.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Rags wrote:
In the midst of global pandemic and contintent-spanning lockdowns forbidding us going outdoors, coaches are talking about quitting Blood Bowl!?!?!??

Pure crazy talk. Pull yourselves together, find some teams and builds you like, and hit that pitch!

There are other games than these.

Including BB2016.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Grasshugger17 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Which opens up the renegades to take random mutations. I personally think we'll see more 3 big guy renegades because that's their thing now. They look really interesting to me for sure, but I get that everyone is crying because of lost str access.

No. Under the new rules you do not need to roll doubles you just need to accumulate the appropriate number of SPP. First choose block then choose mighty blow. Bigs will take Block as a first skill every time.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2021 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

But I guess that, in order to take a double skill you need more SPPs than a normal skill, right?
And MVP is random again and worth only 4 SPPs.
neubau

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2021 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

as a team builder i will stick to leagues that wont make me reset to 1350 every 15 games, but none of the above answers fit for me, because i pretty much only play L anyway.

perpetual play has gotten a lot less interesting for me though, the roleplaying and inherit storytelling aspect of bb have diminished in favour of forced lowish tv bloodbowl and streamlined advancement. im not a fan, but i can live with it as long as the houseruling options for L are good enough.

that said, the way they f'd up passing is still unbelievable.

Jump to: