51 coaches online • Server time: 14:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macomina

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an issue with the new rules, let's take for example a dwarf blitzer, before it was kinda easy : I roll shitty dices I take guard or MB..., I roll doubles I take whatever I want...
Now I'm kinda confused by the endless possibilities.
In the ligue I play I have a blitzer with MB and I have 8 SPP remaining, what's best ? should I wait until 14 SPP to take a double ? should I take Guard ? i cant find topics with strategies around this subject.
what are you thoughts on this ?
BigChiefSittingDuck

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Advice on skill-ups under the new ruleset for each race and position is available under the Help tab, along with a lot of other strategy stuff
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard on all your dwarves is a solid move

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose I'll have to figure this nonsense out too.....

the help document is lovely, but at what point could I still back out of the process? Right up to skill selection? Can I look at the full lists of availables there, or do I need to break out my actual rulebook IRL?

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the answers, i think that we see less doubles and stats up since the new rules.
it's way harder to have to wait 12, 14 or even 20 spp to get a +1 AG or FO.
I'm in a ligue with only 7 to 9 matches in the year and I dont now if with my 8 SPP I can really wait 6 more to have a double...
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Before dworfs didnt take doubles, they took guard.

Now dworfs take guard and dont need to roll, nothing changed.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I suppose I'll have to figure this nonsense out too.....

the help document is lovely, but at what point could I still back out of the process? Right up to skill selection? Can I look at the full lists of availables there, or do I need to break out my actual rulebook IRL?

google is your friend my crazy goldfish friend Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to know people on this site still consistently overestimate my ability to bother about things Rolling Eyes Smile Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2023 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Good to know people on this site still consistently overestimate my ability to bother about things Rolling Eyes Smile Very Happy

haha get on discord we can answer all your fish related questions

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2023 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Macomina wrote:
I have an issue with the new rules, let's take for example a dwarf blitzer, before it was kinda easy : I roll shitty dices I take guard or MB..., I roll doubles I take whatever I want...
In the ligue I play I have a blitzer with MB and I have 8 SPP remaining, what's best ? should I wait until 14 SPP to take a double ? should I take Guard ? i cant find topics with strategies around this subject.

I appreciate its all new, but I am not sure what your "issue" is. Its a new system and I find quite an elegant one.

The view as to whether you save for Secondary skills is a function of the race/position but also your league length and your opponents. Re-drafting is a very subtle aspect that makes the whole skill system very interesting and in my view a positive change.

You can still get stat boosts, but it takes work and good team roster management choices during re-drafts.

But as for Dwarves... guard, guard, guard and I am not sure why you took Mighty Blow first haha
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2023 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Macomina wrote:

I appreciate its all new, but I am not sure what your "issue" is. Its a new system and I find quite an elegant one.

The view as to whether you save for Secondary skills is a function of the race/position but also your league length and your opponents. Re-drafting is a very subtle aspect that makes the whole skill system very interesting and in my view a positive change.

You can still get stat boosts, but it takes work and good team roster management choices during re-drafts.

But as for Dwarves... guard, guard, guard and I am not sure why you took Mighty Blow first haha

Clayfinity is bang on correct.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2023 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd want mighty blow very early on one blitzer or troll slayer. then loads of guard.
Macomina

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2023 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Macomina wrote:

I mean, maybe dwarf wasn't the best example (I took MB because it was my first skill and I had matchup coming against week teams where guard would not be ideal)

I get what you mean but if you take another exemple with something that doesn't generate SPP like a Black orc (there might be better example) I think the new system is the end on diversity, it is impossible to make a black orc with +1 FO. who would like to wait 16 SPP to roll on a table that might give you +1 P ? there is just no way someone would wait that long for a useless TV eater.

i get that for a elf team for example it is very nice, you wait for your star player to get 16 SPP in 2 - 3 matches and there you go almost everything fit you.

i'm not saying that the new system is bad, just that you are going to see way less Fun team and diversity
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2023 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Macomina wrote:

i'm not saying that the new system is bad, just that you are going to see way less Fun team and diversity

Not saying I'm a fan of the new skill system. However I think there's more diversity now due to the random skill selection part. And the fact random skills are cheaper.

In terms of team builds everything has been pretty uniform throughout lrb5 up to this edition really. Double are Dodge or Guard, occasionally Mb , only take stats on certain positions and only certain stats. It was all very samey and still is. However at least there are a few odd skills thrown about now due to random selection

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2023 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Macomina wrote:

Not saying I'm a fan of the new skill system. However I think there's more diversity now due to the random skill selection part. And the fact random skills are cheaper.

In terms of team builds everything has been pretty uniform throughout lrb5 up to this edition really. Double are Dodge or Guard, occasionally Mb , only take stats on certain positions and only certain stats. It was all very samey and still is. However at least there are a few odd skills thrown about now due to random selection

Totally agree! Yes, less stat boosts and guard elf linemen, but certainly more odd job skills in random places...
 Jump to: