37 coaches online • Server time: 10:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stej

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2021 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

With the world gradually recovering from the covid pandemic, lockdown restrictions easing and summer just around the corner, I thought it would be good to have bit of a trip down memory lane to simpler times and I popped open my Her Quest boxed set. Man, some of my painting skills when I was young were pretty poor!

That got me thinking, wouldn't it be fun for us to have a little contest where people could display some of their early attempts at painting models from when they started in the hobby?

As a community, we could then vote on which one is "best"?

A few rules
    - Figure has to be completely painted (not part finished models)
    - Preferably a blood bowl figure (though if not blood bowl, then definitely fantasy setting, not sci-fi)
    - The aim here is to find ones that are pretty awful, but not deliberately awful. They have to look like some effort to achieve some sort of "look" has been put in
    - Please submit entries on this thread until the end of June
    - No painting a new model badly on purpose, It has to be a long forgotten attempt from many moons ago.
    - Once the deadline has passed, myself (and a panel of judges TBC) will pull together a shortlist of finalists, who will be put to a public vote on the site.
    - If you wish to enter multiple entries, then that's ok, but lets keep it to 3 maximum each. And if you do multiples, they have to be significantly different models

Judges
If you wish to be a judge, let me know on the thread. To be a judge, you have to submit a picture of a model you have painted as part of the contest, but you will be bared from entry. (not judging others talents without putting your own up for judgement)

Prize
The winning entry will have a donation to fumbbl made in their honour (size TBC), and receive a certificate that they can print out themselves stating that they had the best worst painting skills in all of fumbbl land (if anyone wants to design me a certificate, I'd appreciate that, otherwise it will be some home brew powerpoint masterpiece)

Please see my Barbar, Ian, as an example of what i mean, and my entry to qualify me as a judge

Image[/img]
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2021 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm. Okay. I remember the Wizard in this picture was the first figure I ever bought, and probably the first I painted... and that would have been 1982-83. I remember I bought a flesh tone citadel paint, but all the other paints I had were testor enamel paints I used to paint airplanes, before I discovered D&D. He's pretty bad, and has gotten pretty banged up over the years.

The Balrog next to him is, I think, worse. Would have probably been painted in 1983 too, entirely with testor enamel. Confused I still remember being disappointed that the red went on so translucent. I still had no idea what I was doing, but at least wanted some color on him when we played D&D.
And no... he's in focus... the painting is just that bad.
stej

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2021 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

A thing of beauty. The shade of green really makes those muscles pop! Thanks for the entry 🙂
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2021 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Great thread! But all I have left from when i was a kid is my orc blood bowl team and i don't think pics of that would be allowed on fumbbl. Will still be following this one with interest Smile
Bill-BJJ

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2021 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you a Red Letter Media fan by any chance?
 Jump to: