45 coaches online • Server time: 11:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LA_Way

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey everyone. First time in the forums. Been playing Fummbl since around Feb when I was out of work. I ain't great but I'm having fun.

I just wondered, sometimes, I'm bored in work. Instead of procrastinating and checking emails or a website for a couple of mins a time during the day, I could be playing Blood Bowl.

What if there was a league of other WFHers who didnt mind just having a game in the background, take their turn then carry on with their work until they have time to take another turn, even if the game takes around 8 hours during their work day to finish.

Anyway, just a stupid thought because I needed to look away from work.
policeshades

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the forums and Fummbl. I personally prefer to take an hour outside of my core time or in a lunch break to have some distracted fun playing Blood Bowl but it's an interesting idea to take longer turns over the course of a day. I could definitely be persuaded. What time zone are you in?
LA_Way

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Uk timezone.

I couldnt risk a game lunchtimes. Dont think I've had an under 1 hour game, some just over, but they seem to average around 90 minutes-2 hours.
policeshades

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I've found that most of my Blackbox games are around 1 hour. My Ranked games take longer. Make of that what you will. I'm UK too. Let's see if anyone else is keen.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The principle is pretty much 'play by mail' right?

The biggest drawback is you both have to be online at the same time.

Also things like on your turn hitting a sidestepper may take ages to be resolved
LA_Way

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeh, I guess essentially it is.

True, probably lots of things I haven't taken into consideration with this idea. I guess you still get notifications/sound hints if you need to do something quickly.

I would probably still get drawn too much into the game during my opponent's go when I should be working, but was just an idea to help pass the day during work.
stowelly

Post   Posted: May 11, 2021 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be up for giving this a go. Not a lot of continuous time to play these days, but a lot of time at the computer!
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 12, 2021 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would work if you each acknowledge you're at work and hence may be AFK for shortish periods of time. If your job warranted that you needed to be AFK for a 2hr stretch, then I think thats not fair or feasable.

If you job was short sharp bursts of productivity... then yeah maybe.
LA_Way

Post   Posted: May 12, 2021 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think having a league or contact list of WFH coaches, everyone signs up with the knowledge that these games are done during work hours. We'll need rules, like:

-dont harass opponent to speed up

-games must be finished within your working day (maybe coaches can message to say they are available as long as the game finishes by 5.30pm) At the very least, the game must be finished the day that it's started.

-if you can, as courtesy can you have sound on for any notifications where you may need to make a decision during your opponent's turn (like a two dice block against, if you want to used dodge/stand firm/tentacles etc sidestep and so on)

-if you are going to be AFK for a while, message your opponent to let them know. The idea is to take a turn every so often, like twice an hour to make sure it gets done within the day. If you are going to be away in a meeting, just let your opponent know when you'll be back.

-if you can't finish the game, try to resolve to carry on playing after work with normal speed, agree to resume the next day, or concede.

Any other rules? A TV limit to stop uneven match ups, or inducements can stop that? New teams only? 1200 limit? No limit?

Last edited by LA_Way on May 12, 2021 - 10:23; edited 1 time in total
LA_Way

Post   Posted: May 12, 2021 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Let people know your time zone and hours so it's easier to find a match.

UK

9am-5.30pm
policeshades

Post   Posted: May 12, 2021 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

UK
08:30-17:30
HillLeah

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2021 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

US
9:00 - 18:00
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2021 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this is a great idea to get to play a few more games. I would have to have sound off during boring meetings but could probably play a turn. I usually work 7:30-16:00 UK

You could house rule skills and say no SS/SF, Shadowing and stuff to stop there being a pause in the middle of a turn?

Lyracian.
sokeeffe

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2021 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds interesting, I'd be happy to give it a go. My hours are 09:00-17:00 UK
VillainousIntent

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2021 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I had this exact same thought. make ranked teams with [WFH] as the tag? im not so sure about games being finished on same day, unexpected stuff can come up
 Jump to: