38 coaches online • Server time: 01:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kinks

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I accidently got 20 SPPs on a rookie DE lineman (in a struggling rookie team), is it worth going for the Characteristic?

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=14507055

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Tempting to just take Guard/Block at that, when it fits so nicely.

Like, most stat rolls are +MA, if you're not really wanting +MA, like on a lino with quicker positions, just not worth the roll when you can have a nice double and normal combo.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. I guess if I took the roll I could still choose Guard if I got MA. Just not sure I want AG or ST on a lino for the TV cost

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

With stats you're guaranteed Ag or Ma so any non-Chaos ball carrier will love it (Chaos can take mutations instead of fishing for Ag). A lineman that's picked up a couple of really nice random skills can go stats and be happy with +Av for 10k. It'd be hard to get the spp but I'd love to go a few stats on a Dark Elf Assassin after Dodge; Ma helps make Shadowing suck less and gives DE one turn options, and Ag means you take leap to sack with stab.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:
Thanks. I guess if I took the roll I could still choose Guard if I got MA. Just not sure I want AG or ST on a lino for the TV cost
Don't take the stat. Block is 6 SPP, Guard is 14, voila. Better and cheaper than +ST. Remember, if you roll the stat you lose the SPP, even if you opt for a skill.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not choose Guard on a DE Lino because it's overpriced at 40 TV. The stat boosts are not worth on him either due to mediocre statline.
I would just Blodge (or Wrodge) him up.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I would. It is not as if you have loads of players getting guard on a single (or whatever you call it now).

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I would not choose Guard on a DE Lino because it's overpriced at 40 TV. The stat boosts are not worth on him either due to mediocre statline.
I would just Blodge (or Wrodge) him up.

koadah wrote:
I would. It is not as if you have loads of players getting guard on a single (or whatever you call it now).

Is that highlighting different play styles or views on the value of skills? It is very expensive but only 10k more than the 30k you would have payed under BB2016/LRB. That can potentially be offset by other players taking Random.

For this player I would take Dodge & Guard to help team or Dodge & Wrestle. Either way I would not take the stat.

A Move 7 Lineman does not really stand out the way Move 8 does on a positional player. While I would want +AG on the team eventually that would be on a player who already has some basic skills.

Lyracian.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Koadah, that one Guard at 40k is still a good value, but Matt does have a point: the point of diminishing returns for Guard on Dark or High Elves is now much lower. I'd want one for sure, two while I'm at it, but no more than that. Get that guy Guard, Blodge, and ultimately Defensive, and he's a pretty good player for two seasons.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Prime candidates for +stat IMO

Ogres on Ogre teams
Vampires on Vamp teams
any runner/thrower
most blitzer types
Bull Centaurs
some catchers

Players who shouldnt get + stats
Stunties
Linemen
Blocker types
Anyone with less than three skills

This ruleset seems to reward making your best players even better.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow - thanks for all the feedback guys. I ready hadn't expected so much response for a rookie lineman.

Guard certainly looks like the right skill for me. Although I may waste my SPP going for +1 AV for 10k seems like good value and I'm not keen on over skilling my lino's whilst I still need 4 blitzers.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2021 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Prime candidates for +stat IMO

Vampires on Vamp teams

I'm currently playing vampires in Competitive, and I don't really agree with this. Vampires already have most of the stats they need, but they need at least three skills each: pro, block and dodge.
Beyond that, +MA could be nice, but that's it. +STR is too costly. +AV and +PA are ok I guess. +AGI isn't really usefull since you can hypnogaze on a 2+ now, and still a bit too expansive.

Then there's still plenty on primaries that you want to take, depending on how you want to build the vampire. Tackle, strip ball, frenzy, sidestep or even mighty blow... I'm also considering guard, which seems nice because of Animal Savagery sometimes removing assists. Honestly, stat upgrades just require too many spp for little gain.

What kind of vampire would you build with stat upgrades? And would you wait until they already have their three main skills?
Kinks

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2021 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Re: Vamps

Interesting, 80TV is a lot, but I imagine a Str 5 Vamp would be worth it. You're probably best to go for the core skills first though - otherwise you new Str 5 Vamp monster is likely to become someone's trophy.

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2021 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

To get +2 ST the Vampire needs at least 38 SPPs (but it's not guaranteed you will get +ST) and, as it has already been said, now +ST is too expensive: +2 ST means 160 TV, moreover, unless you play with a long Season (as an aside, on FUMBBL the Season is 15-game long), it is hard, if not very unrealistic, to get +2 ST on a Vampire before the Season Redfraft takes place (there is no MVP nomination now) and, even if you managed to be lucky and get +2 ST then you would struggle to re-hire that Vampire.
It's better to keep your feet on the ground and get Block, Dodge and either Pro/Tackle/Side Step or other primary skills.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2021 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
To get +2 ST the Vampire needs at least 38 SPPs (but it's not guaranteed you will get +ST) and, as it has already been said, now +ST is too expensive: +2 ST means 160 TV, moreover, unless you play with a long Season (as an aside, on FUMBBL the Season is 15-game long), it is hard, if not very unrealistic, to get +2 ST on a Vampire before the Season Redfraft takes place (there is no MVP nomination now) and, even if you managed to be lucky and get +2 ST then you would struggle to re-hire that Vampire.
It's better to keep your feet on the ground and get Block, Dodge and either Pro/Tackle/Side Step or other primary skills.

To me it feels that this ruleset is about sucking the fun out of the game.

Jump to: