47 coaches online • Server time: 13:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mekutata

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2021 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

ben_awesome wrote:
HimalayaP1C7 wrote:
No idea myself, but you can find the top coaches via this link, review their teams and even replays.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coaches&order=&d=2&r=4971

Wow I'm on page 7!

i am numba 13

so i guess i should write some advice now on how to play them

don't roll boneheads and use the high ag of your ogres to do whatever you want to do.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2021 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice Strider84.
For the carrying ogre I was thinking break tackle and then block to make him both harder to knock down and to double as a safety on defence. For third skill I have considered Pro as it makes him a little better at everything. Dodge is of course good too.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2021 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

ive always carried with an ogre cos snots are too easy to sack.

sure hands before dodge or pro imo, as once you have block, the only threat is strip ball. an wrestle, but there aint much you can bout that
wintergreen13

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2021 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of great advice already in this thread, I don't have much to add. I think for me the most important thing is to have lots of different possible plans in mind so if your first choice doesn't work out due to boneheads you have something to fall back on. For instance, you might want to carry with an ogre but if it goes bonehead be sure to have some gnoblars around to grab the ball instead. If you are planning to move your cage, see how the first few activations go. If they go bonehead then stay put (and possibly don't try to move the remaining ogres) or find somewhere else safe to hide. Of course, sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting, but being flexible will help lessen the frustration when your best players all forget where they are for a turn Smile
Eboncrow

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2021 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got quite a few ogre games under my belt.

1: I say start with 5 ogres, 2 rerolls, then APO is your first purchase. After that, *FILL* your roster with snotlings.

1a: Riotous rookies. Take this every time you have 100k available, even if you need to spend a bit of treasury. Use them as line fodder to keep your ogres mobile on kickoffs, then foul with them every possible turn. Who cares if they get killed/thrown off? You can have a maximum of 23 players with a full roster and this rolling max. You will not run out.

2: Carry with an ogre. Spend rerolls to pick up the ball, and keep him protected. you can generally keep a snotling or two in your opponent's way and unless they're elves they won't get more than 1-2 in front of you. Break tackle and dodge are a great combo as mentioned above by Strider. But I prefer block on all ogres first. Takes a while, but worth it.

3a: 3D blocks are your bread and butter, take them at every opportunity.

3b: Foul every turn if you can create a 7+ armor roll on the foul. if you can't use them to screen.

4: In a pinch, you can carry with a snot, then hand off to an ogre before the score. Catches some coaches off-guard when you hand to the ogre that just splatted their defender and then swarm with snots.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2021 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If you get +ma or +ag on an ogre (or both...) it will make a much better carrier. BB2020 rarely rewards +stats, but I think Ogres are an exception. If you can turn ~4 of them into monsters the team should be capable.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2021 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres are still dodging at 2+ with the new Break tackle which is great. Strength 5, ag2 are the best players to have it. (BT is much less impressive for the likes of ag1 Saurii and mummies these days.)
A break tackle, Blodge, sure hands Ogre is still a great carrier to have. But obviously pricey and challenging to get or keep with seasons. I wonder if the sure hands double is what you would want first. But Block double is really important for ogres..

The wisdom/general rule on carrying with an Ogre against fast teams and snots against bash (and short drives) makes a lot of sense. But you need to pick up first Very Happy
As above post -> +MA / +AG on an ogre is to be enjoyed too.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2021 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the great advice, especially about reserve plans as things inevitably go wrong with Ogres.
I'm a little surprised there is no love for the Pro skill. I have even considered taking it before block on the carrying Ogre. Pro about halves the risk for bonehead and can also be used for pick up rolls where I usually don't use a re-roll if the ball is reasonably safe. I wouldn't use Pro when dodging away to score if I have a re-roll but when I don't it will again halve the risk of failure. When 2D/3D blocking Pro gives both some less risk of a turnover and increased chance of a knock down.

Another thing I came to think of is TTM.
Not throwing around Gnoblars just for the fun is surely sound advice but do you only use it as a last resort?
What about throwing or kicking a Gnoblar when it is not the last option but scoring normally looks difficult. If you have 2 turns left and the defense looks strong do you ever risk a TTM attempt?
Joost

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2021 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice is to always carry with a Gnoblar, unless you're facing something like a wardancer. Gnoblars are far more manoeuvrable than ogres, it frees up an additional ogre for blocking, it helps avoid the bonehead roll screwing up your touchdown and it makes picking up less risky. You can also more safely stand on the sideline with SS.

I usually avoid fouls because sendoffs are too risky but perhaps SG has solved that? Riotous Rookies are great for Snotlings due to Swarming, but for ogres I see much less value since you'll have 16 players anyway. Unless you foul a lot I guess. 100K buys two Kegs or almost a wizard.
Eboncrow

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2021 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro is great, but getting it early just delays you getting the skills that keep ogres on their feet. The more they're on their feet, the less chance they have of getting knocked out/injured.

With 2 rerolls and leader on the punter you should be able to save one for that super critical turn 8 blitz.

If your opponent has caged, you can TTM, then KTM, then blitz in. With any luck you'll take out a cage corner then have a clear blitz. Or, you might just knock the ball loose.

Fouling is in no way risky when it's a gnoblar doing it. As I mentioned before, creating a 6+ (~72%) or 7+ (~58%) armor roll on the foul is key. You will lose a snotling around 30% of the time, you will remove an opposing player around 30% of the time. Snotling is worth a lot less, thinking TVoP (Team value on pitch) it's a no brainer.

Having 11-18 gnoblar, you won't run out. keep fouling.

two kegs on an ogre team just isn't worth as much as 3-7 additional little guys. Ogres can only be knocked out 11.11% of the time their armor is broken. Why worry about waking up snotlings when you can just have more of them. I sincerely doubt you're going to roll 5 knockout rolls that are 2 or 3 over the course of the game, and even if you did, why leave the wakeups to risk? just have more bodies.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

TTM and then KTM in the same turn is a rare success surely. I appreciate it is the idea behind KTM but not that practical.
Don't be too overconfident on always having enough gnoblars either! At least not if the opponent has tacklers.

The ability to choose block skill does seem to be a needed boon to ogre teams, even if it makes them pricey. Assuming you can get those first spps.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I never *count* on TTM or KTM working. But, when they do, it's glorious.

I also just assume I'm going to lose a snotling a turn on the opponent's blitz, even if they just have a guy with S3 and block free.
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 06:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Listen to Strider. He is AMAZING with Ogres

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Garyt1 - are you aware KTM is largely the same as TTM now? It's no longer the kick in a straight line up to 6 or 12 squares.

Not saying it's now reliable but it's moreso than it was
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 08:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody use star players as inducements instead of rookies/kegs/wizards?
A star player that is good at handling the ball might help winning games at the cost of no SPP for the TDs. A damage causing star player like a chainsaw or good blitzer might help speeding up the attrition.
I tried Karla von Kill thinking she might fill both these roles. It worked well until I forgot about the Loner rule.
I opened the turn blitzing with her thinking she is way more reliable than an Ogre with block and no bonehead. Double skulls appeared, a re-roll was wasted and things looked really bad.
 Jump to: